Corfu in June- What to do?

Gabrielle R.

I need advice! We will be in Corfu in June, and I really don't know what I really want to do! I really don't want to spend a day at the beach... I mean I'm in Greece! I want to SEE and do! What is in the town? Will I be able to wander the city and find things to see/do? What is in the port for tours? Anybody you recommend that you did? I'm a history teacher, so I'm happy seeing the 'old stuff.' I'd really love some ideas! THANKS!!

I need advice! We will be in Corfu in June, and I really don't know what I really want to do! I really don't want to spend a day at the beach... I mean I'm in Greece! I want to SEE and do! What is in the town? Will I be able to wander the city and find things to see/do? What is in the port for tours? Anybody you recommend that you did? I'm a history teacher, so I'm happy seeing the 'old stuff.' I'd really love some ideas! THANKS!!

This is what we did wandering around the town.

I really enjoyed just strolling around, and had I been on my own I would have gone into the Achilleion Palace too.

All the best, Tony

Corfu does not have ancient ruins, it is famous for being green and having many olive trees and some beautiful views and old villages. If you want to

see the beauty spots, I suggest Corfu Taxi Tours. We had a wonderful 6 hour tour with Dimitris Dafnis last October and we did not see any 19th C palaces, although we could have. We were so far in the country we saw older ladies and men in traditional dress. You could also take a 4 hour tour. If you are going to see other Greek sites with ruins, like Athens, Delphi, Ephesus, Corfu might be a nice contrast.

• 3 weeks later...
What we're doing is renting a car in the old town - I hear it's so nice. Then, we're driving to Achilleion Palace (self-touring). We will also drive to paleokastritsa for the amazing views. :D

We did an excursion that took us over most of the northern part of the island, the highlight being to the Paleokastritsa Monastery.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g189458-d523868-Reviews-Paleokastritsa-Corfu_Ionian_Islands.html

Could someone tell me where in relation to Kerkira is the "Old Town"

Thanks!

http://corfu-town.com/

The main town of Corfu is one of the most interesting cities in Greece due to the heavy influence of the Venetians who for centuries controlled the island. Like the other Ionian islands Corfu was never occupied by the Turks, which gives it a charactor very different from the rest of Greece. But Corfu town has seen other influences as well including the British, the Normans, the French, and the Greeks and Romans whose ancient buildings are still in evidence in several archaeology sites and the excellent archaeological museum.

The population of the town of Corfu is about 30.000 and is quite cosmopolitan compared to the other Greek islands. It is an interesting mixture of old tavernas, new cafes, discos, clubs and shops of all types plus an amazing old city that sits in a protected area between the two fortresses. The Theater of San Giacomo

constructed entirely of stone in the style of the Italian Renaisance had it's foundations first laid in1663 and is just one example of then many historical buildings that make walking the streets of this city a pleasure. The town really resembles an Italian city though their are other influences such as the Liston, the building which borders the main esplanade or Spianada, built by the French, which houses some of the finest cafes and restaurants in Corfu. On the esplanade itself the men compete in weekend cricket matches, the only place in Greece where the sport is played.

Corfu International Airport or Ioannis Kapodistrias airport, named after Ioannis Kapodistrias distinguished Corfiot European diplomat and first Governor of Greece, the airport is located around 3 kilometres south of Corfu Town and half a kilometre north of Pontikonisi. The airport offers domestic flights with Olympic Airlines and Aegean Airlines, but the vast majority of traffic in the summer season is charter flights to Corfu for holidaymakers.

http://corfu-town.com/

The main town of Corfu is one of the most interesting cities in Greece due to the heavy influence of the Venetians who for centuries controlled the island. Like the other Ionian islands Corfu was never occupied by the Turks, which gives it a charactor very different from the rest of Greece. But Corfu town has seen other influences as well including the British, the Normans, the French, and the Greeks and Romans whose ancient buildings are still in evidence in several archaeology sites and the excellent archaeological museum.

The population of the town of Corfu is about 30.000 and is quite cosmopolitan compared to the other Greek islands. It is an interesting mixture of old tavernas, new cafes, discos, clubs and shops of all types plus an amazing old city that sits in a protected area between the two fortresses. The Theater of San Giacomo

constructed entirely of stone in the style of the Italian Renaisance had it's foundations first laid in1663 and is just one example of then many historical buildings that make walking the streets of this city a pleasure. The town really resembles an Italian city though their are other influences such as the Liston, the building which borders the main esplanade or Spianada, built by the French, which houses some of the finest cafes and restaurants in Corfu. On the esplanade itself the men compete in weekend cricket matches, the only place in Greece where the sport is played.

Corfu International Airport or Ioannis Kapodistrias airport, named after Ioannis Kapodistrias distinguished Corfiot European diplomat and first Governor of Greece, the airport is located around 3 kilometres south of Corfu Town and half a kilometre north of Pontikonisi. The airport offers domestic flights with Olympic Airlines and Aegean Airlines, but the vast majority of traffic in the summer season is charter flights to Corfu for holidaymakers.

Thanks so much for the information and the very helpful link. I didn't that the town of Corfu and Kerkyra are one in the same :p

Archived