Wine Purchase at Pan American Pier

Schmoe38

We are sailing on Summit in 2 weeks. It's been a while since we last sailed out of San Juan, however, we seem to recall a small store where we could purchase wine right next to the embarkation point on the Pan American Pier. The selection was limited, but at least, it was convenient. Will we have the option of buying wine at the pier if we so choose?

Randy and Connie

Your description is accurate -- limited selection but convenient! Beware of the signs in the shop that claim that you can buy liquor there and take it on the ship -- that may be true on some lines, but on Celebrity you would be taking a chance that you won't be able to take that liquor aboard with you.

Last time we cruise there was in March 2010 but we bought wine there. The shop was in the cruise terminal in between the check-in counters and security. We were after some Champagne and they actually had a very nice selection ranging from very inexpensive sparkling wine to Dom Perignon. The were all at prices similar to what we'd find at a discount wine store in Chicago area which is far less than typical selling prices in San Juan.

Your description is accurate -- limited selection but convenient! Beware of the signs in the shop that claim that you can buy liquor there and take it on the ship -- that may be true on some lines, but on Celebrity you would be taking a chance that you won't be able to take that liquor aboard with you.

Thanks very much, "cruisestitch". We remember those signs from the last time. No plans for the hard stuff....just the "grape" stuff.

Okay, I have a question, I will be on Eclipse in April, with San Juan as a port of call- will we be able to bring wine from that shop to the ship and to our cabins? We are planning on bringing wine on board with us at the start of the cruise, but this will be 2 1/2 days later! ;) I'm sure it's cheaper than buying on the ship....

Okay, I have a question, I will be on Eclipse in April, with San Juan as a port of call- will we be able to bring wine from that shop to the ship and to our cabins? We are planning on bringing wine on board with us at the start of the cruise, but this will be 2 1/2 days later! ;) I'm sure it's cheaper than buying on the ship....

First off, if you are in San Juan at a port of call stop they use the piers in Old San Juan as opposed to the Pan Am pier which is usually used only for cruises that begin or end in San Juan. I don't know if the Old San Juan port terminals have a store or not.

Celebrity's policy only allows for 2 bottles, per cabin, of wine to be brought on and only at the initial embarkation. So if they enforce the policy then you will not be allowed to bring wine on at your San Juan port of call stop.

Two points to remember --

1. the two-bottle allowance is for port of embarkation only, not for the ports you visit

2. when Celebrity calls on San Juan a different location is used -- closer to Old San Juan. Pan American pier is used as a point of embarkation only. So you will be nowhere near that shop on your port of call.

Celebrity's policy only allows for 2 bottles, per cabin, of wine to be brought on and only at the initial embarkation. So if they enforce the policy then you will not be allowed to bring wine on at your San Juan port of call stop.

Hi

I'm sailing solo...can I still bring on 2 bottles/cabin or only one since alone in the cabin :confused:

First off, if you are in San Juan at a port of call stop they use the piers in Old San Juan as opposed to the Pan Am pier which is usually used only for cruises that begin or end in San Juan. I don't know if the Old San Juan port terminals have a store or not.

Yes it states two bottles per stateroom, not one per passenger. (And though you didn't ask, if there are three in a stateroom it's still two bottles, not three)

It's 2/cabin, not 2/person.

tyvm...I'll plan on shopping for 2 bottles at the pier then :)

Archived