Flying into MCO

dreaming2012

We arrive MCO at 1030 the day of the cruise. We plan to rent a car (Budget) and drive to Cape Canaveral. Drop the car and take a shuttle from Budget to the Ship. Do we have enough time?

How long will this take?

Any info on doing the transportation this way is needed.

Thanks

How many people?

How much luggage?

Why not just taking the Carnival shuttle?

I can understand the pro's of renting the car. But, just for the 1 hour drive? The negitives outweigh IMO. Is the car big enough to fit all the luggage. Gotta stop and fill with gas before returning. Insurance. What if it breaks down or gets a flat?

Luggage is no problem we rented a full size car. There is 4 of us and we want to stop and get some Soda's before we get on.

The shuttle was Double the cost and we could not stop and get 12 packs to carry on.

As far as a flat or break down... What if that happens to the shuttle. or the plane we are on. You never know.

Stuff happens in life and all we can do is hope that none of that happens.

IF your flight is on time, and IF your baggage shows up with you and doesn't take an hour to come off the belt, and IF there's not a lightning based ground stop in Orlando (happens very, very regularly), it will take you 15-25 minutes to get off your plane and get to the baggage carousel in the main terminal, depending on where your seats are and the monorail timing. Expect to wait another 10-15 minutes for the bags. To save time, sign up for Budget's FASTBREAK program before you book the car and skip the lines and proceed directly to the parking structure and get your car. Bottom line, expect it to be a full hour or more from the time your plane touches down until you are leaving the parking deck.

It's a 45-50 minute drive from the airport to the Port, longer if there are any backups at the toll plazas. Then you need to return the car, take the shuttle. That's another 15-30 minutes.

If all goes perfectly, you're probably looking at boarding sometime around 12:15. In reality it will be closer to 1:00 or 1:30.

Luggage is no problem we rented a full size car. There is 4 of us and we want to stop and get some Soda's before we get on.

The shuttle was Double the cost and we could not stop and get 12 packs to carry on.

As far as a flat or break down... What if that happens to the shuttle. or the plane we are on. You never know.

Stuff happens in life and all we can do is hope that none of that happens.

Absolutely no problem. Just wanted to make sure all things are considered whan making a decision.

A lot of new travellers don't think about luggage. When I first started travelling, I just HAD to have that Mustang covertable GT to rent. Thank God it was a convertable. We had to put the top down just to carry all the luggage. :D

Have you looked into Art's Shuttle?? We had a private ride in a small van. They were great and i think they'll stop at a store for you. Might be better than dealing with the rental craziness...

How many people?

How much luggage?

Why not just taking the Carnival shuttle?

I can understand the pro's of renting the car. But, just for the 1 hour drive? The negitives outweigh IMO. Is the car big enough to fit all the luggage. Gotta stop and fill with gas before returning. Insurance. What if it breaks down or gets a flat?

I ALWAYS rent a car between MCO and Port Canaveral. If you have more than 1 person, it's cheaper than the shuttle (I can usually rent a car for less than $40) and I HATE riding in the shuttle bus and having to wait around for them. I've had no issues with the "negatives" you talk about - flat tire? I've never had a flat tire along a highway and I've been driving for 35 years. Gas stations are numerous and cheap along that route. My car insurance covers me when I drive a rental. It's very simple, easy, and I get to control when I leave (don't have to sit around waiting for them to fill a shuttle).

To the original poster - Budget is a good choice. Budget and Avis are both very close to the port and run free shuttles regularly. I have found both offices to be very friendly and helpful. You should be fine.

:)

Coasterjan

I have done this before with no problem. My plane landed at 10:30 and I was onboard by 12:30. The only thing that might have sped up my trip was the fact that Thrifty is located about 15 minutes from airport. But it was located right next to highway to Port Canaveral.

Ducklite broke down the time very well above. You should have plenty of time.

I hope you enjoy your visit to Central Florida and our airport. I think MCO is a comfortable and easy to use terminal. Before the current site opened in 1981, we had to walk onto the tarmac to board every flight. This airport was a great leap forward.

The new airport originally opened with two airside terminals and the main terminal. It was fun to see people off or greet them because you could ride the monorail airside to see them off. That has changed of course. Over the years the airport has expanded with the addition of two more airside terminals and an expansion of the main terminal, including a terminal hotel (currently a Hyatt Regency.) The main terminal has shopping, a central food court and sit down dining.

MCO is a designated Space Shuttle emergency landing site. The west-side runways were designed to accommodate B-52 Stratofortress bombers and due to their proximity to NASA's John F. Kennedy Space Center, were an obvious choice for an emergency landing should an emergency "return to launch site (RTLS) attempt to land at KSC fall short. I guess that is now out of date too.

It is so easy to get to port Canaveral. You leave the airport to State Road 528 east (SR 528) a.k.a. the Beachline Expressway. The road ends at Port Canaveral. If you want to sound like you're not a newbie call it the BeeLine. It was originally a "bee Line to the beach," until some dumb a$$ politicians decided it needed a new name. I ran the toll calculator, looks like the current toll over is $1.50.

Archived