Ketchikan Taxi Cab Tours

oratheeexplorer

Anyone ever use Ketchikan Taxi Cab Tours? I have found their website and it sounds like a great way to see some things in Ketchikan. You can do things at your own pace, don't have to be with 50 to 100 people on an excursion, etc.....I'm wondering about doing this to go out to Rotary Beach to hopefully see some starfish and then maybe up to Herring Cove......

Anyone ever use Ketchikan Taxi Cab Tours? I have found their website and it sounds like a great way to see some things in Ketchikan. You can do things at your own pace, don't have to be with 50 to 100 people on an excursion, etc.....I'm wondering about doing this to go out to Rotary Beach to hopefully see some starfish and then maybe up to Herring Cove......

We used them and it was a great tour. There were 6 of us and I asked what everyone wanted to do and then worked with Ketchikan Taxi Cab Tours to cover it all.

We went out to Potlatch Park, Totem Bight, a place where the salmon run (can't remember exactly where), through downtown. Just a well rounded tour.

Susan in Anchorage :)

We used them and it was a great tour. There were 6 of us and I asked what everyone wanted to do and then worked with Ketchikan Taxi Cab Tours to cover it all.

We went out to Potlatch Park, Totem Bight, a place where the salmon run (can't remember exactly where), through downtown. Just a well rounded tour.

I wonder if the place where the salmon run was Herring Cove....I have read about that....I'm sure there are other places like this as well.....I am wondering if we can do just a 2 hour trip to a couple of places.....I sent them an email to see....thanks for the reply! :)

I wonder if the place where the salmon run was Herring Cove....I have read about that....I'm sure there are other places like this as well.....I am wondering if we can do just a 2 hour trip to a couple of places.....I sent them an email to see....thanks for the reply! :)

They were great to work with to do how long and what we wanted to do.

Wonder if they are in Mexico this winter? When I worked with them, he was answering from there. Technology is just amazing :D

Our group of six did a tour with Ketchikan Taxi Cab Tours a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed our day with Dave. He took us to areas outside of Ketchikan that we would never have thought to explore. Some beautiful hiking trails, waterfalls, beach areas with tidepools. We saw bears at Herring Cove and also Totem Bight park. He was a great guide and very personable. You'll enjoy your day!

Yes, yes, yes. We used Dave and Kat when our family cruised Alaska a couple of years ago and have rebooked for this coming May. Dave was our tour guide and he was so knowledgable, took us where ever we wanted to go and places we didn't know to ask about, and it was the perfect way for the 6 of us to see anything and everything in Ketchikan. We are looking forward to being with him again in a couple of months. Don't hesitate to book with them!

B. Cole

I would do this tour with the understanding that time for serious photography would be included in the pricing and time allowed. Big group tours don't work for photography...at least for me.

I emailed Dave a few times before booking with them in June this year. I talked about loving photography so we are set up for 4 hours with them with the plan to leave a lot of time for serious photography and no city tour at all, just the wild areas. They will set up the tour based on what you want to do. We also talked about the times other ships are in port so we can go to certain places like Herring Cove when less people will be around. Since the salmon start running there in mid June he said the eagles will be in full force and hopefully a bear or two.

I can't wait!

Nobby

Nobby! Yes! Look into some wet protection for your cameras and lenses. Among other things, I use a lot of zippy bags. Also make sure you have shoes/boots with non-slip soles and a really waterproof jacket so that nothing can hold you back.

I have a mono-pod that is also a walking stick. That sort of thing can be outright handy.

I plan my photo outings months in advance, make lists and check everything many times. It is all that important to me.

Thanks for your link!

They were great to work with to do how long and what we wanted to do.

Wonder if they are in Mexico this winter? When I worked with them, he was answering from there. Technology is just amazing :D

They were cycling through Italy this winter, I believe.

Nobby! Yes! Look into some wet protection for your cameras and lenses. Among other things, I use a lot of zippy bags. Also make sure you have shoes/boots with non-slip soles and a really waterproof jacket so that nothing can hold you back.

I have a mono-pod that is also a walking stick. That sort of thing can be outright handy.

I plan my photo outings months in advance, make lists and check everything many times. It is all that important to me.

Thanks for your link!

Thanks PennyAgain, yes, I have all that and I am prepared. Even have a waterproof camera bag with my 2 DSLR bodies and many lenses. I do a lot of photography on kayaks so I keep my stuff dry on that so should have no problems with this. My friend always wonders how I carry everything! :D

Nobby

• 2 years later...
I would do this tour with the understanding that time for serious photography would be included in the pricing and time allowed. Big group tours don't work for photography...at least for me.

I have them booked for just the two of us so we can spend the time we want at each stop. I'm hope for some great photo ops. :)

Our family group of 12 toured with Kat and another local driver just last week. A very enjoyable tour around the island. We saw eagles, bears, totem poles and a bit of history in town. Only downside was they used an additional cab and driver from town and the cab reeked of smoke. Just not as nice as most of the other private tour vans found in the port cities.

My family rented both Dave and Kat's cabs last week and had a wonderful tour! It was by far the best value of any tour we took in Alaska. It was significantly less expensive, and so worth it!!

Great way to see Ketchikan. Highly recommended.

So happy I happened to click on this thread! Taking my elderly mother on her first cruise in Sept, just got this reserved for Ketchikan, sounds like it will be a very comfortable way for mom to see the sights :)

Carol

My family rented both Dave and Kat's cabs last week and had a wonderful tour! It was by far the best value of any tour we took in Alaska. It was significantly less expensive, and so worth it!!

Great way to see Ketchikan. Highly recommended.

May I ask the length of the tour and what places you visited with Dave and Kat? Very glad to read of your good experience.

May I ask the length of the tour and what places you visited with Dave and Kat? Very glad to read of your good experience.

Sure. It was supposed to be 3 hours, but we ended up staying 4 hours. They will really take you to whatever you want to do. We wanted an overall tour of the town, so first we went up to Herring Cove (think that's what it was called) looking for bears. We didn't see any at first, so we went over across the street to the bay where fishermen were snagging salmon. It was fun to watch. We drove around the island a bit, found some waterfalls, kept going back to Herring Cove to find the bears (4th time was a charm). Watched eagles, found a seal to watch in the bay, stopped by a friend of theirs who has a roadside stand selling homemade jams and jellies. Went to Totem Bight state park for the totem poles. It was nice and relaxed, but we saw so much. I was in the car with Dave and he knows so much about everything (in a good way). :D Used to be a commercial fisherman, so knows a lot about the fishing going on in the area. Overall, we had a great time.

Sure. It was supposed to be 3 hours, but we ended up staying 4 hours. They will really take you to whatever you want to do. We wanted an overall tour of the town, so first we went up to Herring Cove (think that's what it was called) looking for bears. We didn't see any at first, so we went over across the street to the bay where fishermen were snagging salmon. It was fun to watch. We drove around the island a bit, found some waterfalls, kept going back to Herring Cove to find the bears (4th time was a charm). Watched eagles, found a seal to watch in the bay, stopped by a friend of theirs who has a roadside stand selling homemade jams and jellies. Went to Totem Bight state park for the totem poles. It was nice and relaxed, but we saw so much. I was in the car with Dave and he knows so much about everything (in a good way). :D Used to be a commercial fisherman, so knows a lot about the fishing going on in the area. Overall, we had a great time.

Thanks so much, sounds great! We're hoping to see bears too if we are lucky!