Ketchikan Taxi Cab Tours

oratheeexplorer

Just booked a tour with Dave for 6/5/15. We'll be in port from 6-1:30. If another couple would like to join the tour, let me know as its just my husband and I right now. We are flexible in what our tour itinerary. 59 more days until we sail away!

• 1 month later...
Anyone ever use Ketchikan Taxi Cab Tours? I have found their website and it sounds like a great way to see some things in Ketchikan. You can do things at your own pace, don't have to be with 50 to 100 people on an excursion, etc.....I'm wondering about doing this to go out to Rotary Beach to hopefully see some starfish and then maybe up to Herring Cove......

Coming into Ketchikan on a cruise, we reserved a tour with Ketchikan Taxi Cab Tours. Since we were just two, they put us together with four other people and gave out our email to the others so that we could become acquainted in advance. That worked well. Although we expected David or Kat to give us our tour, we were met by Delilah, a local native. You should be aware that if you don’t specifically request David or Kat, you may be assigned someone else as your tour guide.

In three hours, we went to Settler’s Cove, a rain forest north of town. This is a state park with a rocky beach and a lovely waterfall. Cab drivers are not allowed in the park and so we walked around on our own. Next we went to Totem Bight. Again, Delilah waited in the parking lot. She suggested we follow a tour with a guide and listen to them. They were quite far ahead and so we read the signs along the walkway. Lastly, we went to Potlatch Park where Delilah walked with us around the buildings and explained a lot of the customs of her people, told the stories which the totem poles depicted and related happenings from her childhood. Although David had mentioned going south of the town to the most scenic area, we did not have time to go there.

Things you should know: The cabs are Dodge Caravans which technically seat 6 passengers and the driver. The middle seat only holds two; one person sits in front with the driver. The remaining three climb over the middle seat and squeeze into a somewhat small seat in the back. There is no script for this tour; who drives you determines how much you see and what you hear. Delilah was a bit of a character Alaskan-style. When I wrote afterwards to David and Kat saying that we were not aware that this would be more of a cab ride than a guided tour and that the back seat was small for three people, their reply was “Delilah is a superb native guide proud of her heritage and eager to share. The vans are old due to a challenged economy, but we will do all we can to make them cleaner and more comfortable.” So if you take this tour and expect a four-star experience, you will be disappointed. If you can accept that about half of the tour will be unguided and the rest a bit of an adventure, you should do fine.

• 2 months later...

Arriving on Statendam on Aug 26, 2015 and have reserved a van at Ketchikan Taxi's to tour specifically Herring Cove with the intent of seeing a few bears. Would like another couple to join us. Van costs $ 75 USD/hr. Thinking about 2-3 hours rental.

Sorry to bust in on your post but I can't start a new subject as this is my first post:)