Scuba Dive--St Thomas or St Maarten??

cluelyss18

We are leaving out of San Juan on the Victory in May. My BF just got his scuba dive cert through our department, and would love to dive once on our upcoming trip. Two of the five ports we have been to in the past on cruises. St Thomas and St Maarten. Has anyone done a scuba excursion through Carnival in the past? If so, what did you think of it?

Has anyone by chance been on the ones in St Thomas or St Maarten, if so, which one would you recommend? We don't usually book excursions through the ship, but since I know nothing about diving, I'm assuming this would be something better off booked with them!

Thanks for any tips :)

You would be better off booking with a private operator. I've used Blue Island Divers in St. Thomas and am diving with them again in August. There also is Admiralty Divers there. In August, I'll also be diving in St. Martin with Octopus Diving. You'll get better service and attention with a private operator than with the ship's excursion, and also likely to be less expensive.

You would be better off booking with a private operator. I've used Blue Island Divers in St. Thomas and am diving with them again in August. There also is Admiralty Divers there. In August, I'll also be diving in St. Martin with Octopus Diving. You'll get better service and attention with a private operator than with the ship's excursion, and also likely to be less expensive.

Thanks Laurie..in St Thomas how long is the excursion? Have you done St Martin yet? Just wondering how they compare

We did the Carnival dive in St Thomas while on the Victory and loved it. They used Coki Beach Dive Club and the prices were cheaper if you book through the dive shop but the Carnival price also includes your transportation. We did the Discover Scuba class so things will probably be different on your trip but we had 2 hours total. It was 15 minutes each way, a 30 minutes lesson, a 40 minute dive and the extra we spent on the beach and getting our card that said we had done the class. Our class was only 4 people per instructor but they had one who rode with us that was certified and he went on a solo dive with the instructor. I believe he said they went down 50' and saw sea turtles, lobster etc where as we just saw some eels and regular fish. The water was super clear and there was no waves so it was the perfect place to dive! It was beautiful. We had a great time and really liked everyone we dealt with.

Thanks Laurie..in St Thomas how long is the excursion? Have you done St Martin yet? Just wondering how they compare

I dove with Blue Island in November 2010 and we did a two-tank dive. Their shop is about three blocks from the ship, an easy walk. I was back to the ship around 12:30 and had all afternoon to visit the castle and shop.

When I go in August, the shop is giving us a special trip that will be three tanks. They said we would meet at 10 am and be back no later than 3 pm.

I haven't dived in St. Martin yet (went to Maho Beach last time). We'll be going on their 10 am trip because we don't get in until 9 am and will be back around 2 pm.

St. Thomas is terrific diving, especially if you like wreck diving. But, there also is good reef diving there. From what I've read, I would say it's better diving than St. Martin.

We are leaving out of San Juan on the Victory in May. My BF just got his scuba dive cert through our department, and would love to dive once on our upcoming trip. Two of the five ports we have been to in the past on cruises. St Thomas and St Maarten. Has anyone done a scuba excursion through Carnival in the past? If so, what did you think of it?

Has anyone by chance been on the ones in St Thomas or St Maarten, if so, which one would you recommend? We don't usually book excursions through the ship, but since I know nothing about diving, I'm assuming this would be something better off booked with them!

Thanks for any tips :)

I hate you both!!!! I desperately need to go and do a dive somewhere. In spite of that, have a good time.

PS We've used Carnival excursions for dives in Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Isla Roatan, have been more than satisfied and their costs were competitive.

When I go in August, the shop is giving us a special trip that will be three tanks. They said we would meet at 10 am and be back no later than 3 pm.

That's a bit worrisome....given the time to get to dive site and about an hour of surface interval time between dives. All I can say is rely on your computers and don't let your divemaster talk you into doing something that you feel is marginal in terms of safety.

I dove with Blue Island in November 2010 and we did a two-tank dive. Their shop is about three blocks from the ship, an easy walk. I was back to the ship around 12:30 and had all afternoon to visit the castle and shop.

I haven't dived in St. Martin yet (went to Maho Beach last time). We'll be going on their 10 am trip because we don't get in until 9 am and will be back around 2 pm.

St. Thomas is terrific diving, especially if you like wreck diving. But, there also is good reef diving there. From what I've read, I would say it's better diving than St. Martin.

Thanks! I'm going to look into St Thomas/St John more...I'd really like to see Maho beach again, so I'd rather not be rushed.

That's a bit worrisome....given the time to get to dive site and about an hour of surface interval time between dives. All I can say is rely on your computers and don't let your divemaster talk you into doing something that you feel is marginal in terms of safety.

No worries for me, I dive my own plan and by August, will have finished my divemaster program. I do believe they're not estimating the end time correctly, but since we don't have to be back to the ship until 5:30 pm and their shop is a 10-minute walk, we'll have plenty of time. I remember from my last time there that it was only about 15 minutes out to the dive sites. I watch my surface intervals very closely because I love to dive deep and I don't burn through my air so I always get at least an hour dive.

No worries for me, I dive my own plan and by August, will have finished my divemaster program. I do believe they're not estimating the end time correctly, but since we don't have to be back to the ship until 5:30 pm and their shop is a 10-minute walk, we'll have plenty of time. I remember from my last time there that it was only about 15 minutes out to the dive sites. I watch my surface intervals very closely because I love to dive deep and I don't burn through my air so I always get at least an hour dive.

I tend to suck air and will be down to 400 when my wife still has 800. I'm usually doing my ascent after 50 minutes.

Congrats on your impending qual as divemaster. You certainly didn't need any advice.

Thanks, but advice is always good. :)

My boyfriend is a Master Instructor and is my usual dive buddy. A couple months ago after diving he said to me very seriously, we're going to have problems diving together. I asked why and he said, we have the same SAC rate so when I run out of air, you won't be able to help me! We laughed about it, but it is true.

I will be on the Victory on the 19th of this month and will be diving in both places. In St. Thomas, we are using Blue Island Divers. In St. Maarten, we are unfortunately diving the cruise excursion. I will post reviews of both for you when I return.

Archived