Bennett lake express vs Ultimate Yukon and White Pass

mumofsons

Please keep in mind I have not been to Alaska yet, so this is based on my research and reading these boards, not personal experience.

We chose to take the Carcross Bus and Rail Excursion with Chilkoot Charters: http://www.chilkootcharters.com/carcross.htm This is the equivalent of the Lake Bennett option from Carnival. Chilkoot comes highly recommended on these boards and for the "bus" portion they use smaller vehicles than the cruise line. For the train portion, you are on the same train.

Chilkoot also has a tour that compares with the other option from Carnival.

The difference between the two tours, is the Lake Bennett trip spends a lot more time on the train vs bus/van and goes to Lake Bennett which is only accesible by train. The included lunch is served at the Lake or at Carcross, depending on which trip you take.

I hope this helps.

Brad

I have taken only the HAL excursions that include Lake Bennett and it has been one of the highlights of the trip. We picked up the train in Carcross and it is a beautiful train ride to Lake Bennett where they served us lunch and gave a tour of the area. Lake Bennett is the other end of the Chilkoot Trail which started in Dyea at Skagway. There is a lovely church that was active for only a short time during the gold rush and you will probably see hikers heading up to the trail. Lake Bennett is the headwaters of the Yukon river. You cannot drive to Lake Bennett. It is really a special place.

Archived