Pools in Winter..too cold?

quirkygrl16

no they are not heated, and we didnt have a problem enjoying them on our cruise last month :D

this is my hubby doing a twister cannonball, our stop in Roatan was cancelled due to high winds and waves, so everyone decided to have a cannonball contest :D

2636226910097654989S600x600Q85.jpg

I imagine it depends where and when you are cruising. I believe they just fill the pools with sea water. If where you are sailing has warm water, then the pools will be warm.

Most of my sailings have been on the Pacific - Mexican Riviera and Baja itineraries - and those pools were COLD. The only exception was on Carnival Paradise in October, when they heated ONE of the pools, but it was still too cold to go in. DD went down the pool slide a couple of times, but decided it was too cold for her, too. The air temp was pretty chilly, too, though.

I imagine Caribbean itineraries would have warmer pools - and hope to do an empirical analysis of this, soon.;)

Thank you all! We are sailing to the Bahamas so hopefully the water in the pool will be warm enough to enjoy!!

You'll probably be okay.

A lot will depend on when the pool was last drained and refilled. I just got back from a 4-day aboard Imagination to Cozumel and we noticed that the pool water got warmer as the voyage progressed, and was pretty nice by the end of the last sea-day...then they drained it, and it was closed on departure morning (as were the two Lido hot-tubs).

Some CCL ships have pools with retractable roofs, but our older ship wasn't one of them.

I'm guessing they drain the pool on debark/embark day, and it will start out cold, then get nicer as your voyage continues.

From my experience on the Spirit did have the AFT pool heated on the last sea days from CABO to san diego, it was almost as warm as the AFT hot tub, a little steam came off the pool hehehe! Also on HAL Oosterdam to alaska the pools were heated! on the Paradise out of LA the pools were too cold all year long! On the Ecstasy last month the pools were fine to swim in & so was the waterpark EVEN on the seaday! Sorry to ramble on but hope this helps.

From my experience on the Spirit did have the AFT pool heated on the last sea days from CABO to san diego, it was almost as warm as the AFT hot tub, a little steam came off the pool hehehe! Also on HAL Oosterdam to alaska the pools were heated! on the Paradise out of LA the pools were too cold all year long! On the Ecstasy last month the pools were fine to swim in & so was the waterpark EVEN on the seaday! Sorry to ramble on but hope this helps.

It helps a lot, thanks!

On the Carnival Magic they where not...I believe no other Cruise companies heat them because...its expensive and remember they empty the pools every day.

I still went in the pools because they aren't that cold...

The one thing i hated was the pool if you opened your mouth/eyes by accident.

The water was so salty and really stung your eyes and had a horrible taste :P

-Matthew

What about the Alaska cruises? Surely if the pools are open they will heat the water?

Pools in Alaska cruises are heated for sure otherwise the water will be frozen. Very few people go into the pool though and they msotly are Canadians.

We enjoy the pools on port days because it typically is not windy. At the end of the port day the pools are warmer if the port day was warm.

Otherwise the pools are cold to us. The pools feel good if it is hot and sunny, but on those not so warm days we avoid the pools.

Any day at a cruise pool is better than winter in Iowa.:)

On the Carnival Magic they where not...I believe no other Cruise companies heat them because...its expensive and remember they empty the pools every day.

I still went in the pools because they aren't that cold...

The one thing i hated was the pool if you opened your mouth/eyes by accident.

The water was so salty and really stung your eyes and had a horrible taste :P

-Matthew

The pools on at least some Norwegian ships are definitely heated. We were on the jewel in Sept NYC to Canada and 1 of the pools was too hot the first day as in hotter than hot tub hot. After that both pools were a constant 84. We used them every day even though the air was a bit chilly.

Archived