First cruise is this week and boy am I nervous..

quirkygrl16

Think about how many cruise ships are sailing each day in the world versus how many have problems. The odds are in your favor to not have any problems. Relax and don't expect any issues....attitudes and expectations have a big impact on how much you enjoy your vacation.

Think about how many cruise ships are sailing each day in the world versus how many have problems. The odds are in your favor to not have any problems. Relax and don't expect any issues....attitudes and expectations have a big impact on how much you enjoy your vacation.

This is very true, good point. Thanks so much for the kind words :)

Estimates of the number of cruise ship passengers in the past year range from 12 million to 16 million. There was just that one incident with fatalities, and that was because a captain deviated from standard procedures, quite possibly at his own discretion. You can bet that cruise ship captains are sticking a lot closer to policy now than ever before.

You are far more likely to have a car accident than a cruise ship incident.

Hey y'all. My first cruise is thursday and with all of the negative press lately..i'm pretty nervous.. I'd cancel,but it's waaaayyy too late. Any words of advice to ease my nerves or anything?

Although we have done a few cruises now, we are still aprehensive each time we approach the ship.....but, do you know what? As soon as we step aboard and look around at how nice everything looks, the feeling turns to excitement and a sense of 'we have arrived' takes over. Our vacation starts now and we love every minute of it.

I have yet to find anyone who hasn't returned home from their first cruise and immediately started planning for their second, then third, etc etc.

You will love it. Go and enjoy.

Pete

As others have said, lots of ships are out there every day without incident. What happened to the Costa Concordia was a convergence of a series of lapses. I am certain that it will come out that it was not just the captain, but a whole series of events prior to the initial grounding in the shoals of the island, and then the delayed actions afterwards that prevented help from arriving and getting everyone off early. Bear in mind as well that the news media doesn't know anything about ships, and hasn't asked a relevant question yet!

Accidents happen. A plane crashed in Buffalo because both the captain and copilot were not fully engaged in flying the plane. A ship wrecked because of some really faulty decisions by several people in command -- not just a decision to sail by an island. What so few people pay any attention to, especially Americans, is the sheer number of people killed on our highways every year. Yet we jump in our cars as if there is no danger.

Going by passenger miles traveled, and passenger hours aboard, cruising is a very safe way to have a fantastic vacation. There is far less to worry about on the ship than in many other modes of travel, and they don't serve good food and stop at lots of ports! Pay attention at the muster drill, particularly since this is your first cruise. The odds are way above 99% that you don't need to know any of it, but it will all be new information for you. Remember too that in this day and age, if there is any sort of major problem, most if not all people get off the ship safely.

I am going on Thursday for my first cruise on the Sensation and though I am nervous it is not because of the accident, it is because of the unknown (I am a control freak and not knowing anything but what I have read is a bit dicey for me ;) ) I plan just to relax and have a good time and go with the flow!

I am going on Thursday for my first cruise on the Sensation and though I am nervous it is not because of the accident, it is because of the unknown (I am a control freak and not knowing anything but what I have read is a bit dicey for me ;) ) I plan just to relax and have a good time and go with the flow!

Heyy we will be on the same cruise!!!

I'm a little controlling too haha.

Hopefully this might help you.

This is how I expected it to be and I think there seems to have been a strange bridge culture on Costa that I don't think crosses to other lines, I believe the majority of captains to be consummate professionals.

I was really terrified after seeing my ship a week before! The size! Once on board I couldn't have been more carefree and now I don't feel any different and my first one was only last September.

Don't worry, get excited, it will be fantastic. I wish I was looking forward to a first cruise!

Archived