Interesting Fact for those of you thinking about booking a group cruise...

tracyanns

This is something I found out today and wanted to share it as I know some people do book group cruises...

We have an upcoming cruise with a few people going so I was talking to my PVP this morning about our options for booking, payment, etc...I do not want to be everyone's travel agent.

She mentioned that you can book as a group with 8 cabins with double occupancy and the leader would have their cruise cost covered, just not their port fees and taxes...I already knew this but was not interested in booking as a group because I didn't want to be the "leader".

What I found out that I thought I would share was she said if you book 8 cabins, which is the minimum for a group, that if one cabin in that group cancels and you fall below 8, they have to cancel all of the bookings and everyone has to rebook at the current rate...I found that interesting as I have been part of a group but never knew that could happen...what a bummer that would be if the price of the cruise was double...

I guess the moral of the story is...don't book a group unless you have well over 8 or are willing to pay any price for your cruise in case people cancel and you have to rebook...

This is something I found out today and wanted to share it as I know some people do book group cruises...

We have an upcoming cruise with a few people going so I was talking to my PVP this morning about our options for booking, payment, etc...I do not want to be everyone's travel agent.

She mentioned that you can book as a group with 8 cabins with double occupancy and the leader would have their cruise cost covered, just not their port fees and taxes...I already knew this but was not interested in booking as a group because I didn't want to be the "leader".

What I found out that I thought I would share was she said if you book 8 cabins, which is the minimum for a group, that if one cabin in that group cancels and you fall below 8, they have to cancel all of the bookings and everyone has to rebook at the current rate...I found that interesting as I have been part of a group but never knew that could happen...what a bummer that would be if the price of the cruise was double...

I guess the moral of the story is...don't book a group unless you have well over 8 or are willing to pay any price for your cruise in case people cancel and you have to rebook...

that's only if you distribute the fare among the group, right?

most group leaders keep the free berth for themselves.

The "free Cruise" (Travel Credit) is actually "One Free Berth" for every 8 cabins booked, its an average of the cabin catagories.

But unless this is something new, the part about not being able to keep the group rate is not true, We did a group and ended up with only 6 cabins.. we kept our group rate, just not the "group Perks" that they were "offering" (that is actually included in the price of the group)--ie, wine and strawberries, OBC, etc.

~Ive been the "leader" for several groups.... and thought Id say the other thing you can do is the "Leader" can choose to put the "Free Berth" back into the group...so the Credit is divided up among the group instead of one person cruising 'for free'... Thats what our group of friends do....

(by the way...I am not trying to ask anyone to join a group...just sharing information...dont want the Mods to get the wrong idea)

:)

this is probably correcct...but you dont get the Travel Credit till after final payment...

This is probably correct too... and many never say a word about it... :rolleyes:

But unless this is something new, the part about not being able to keep the group rate is not true, We did a group and ended up with only 6 cabins.. we kept our group rate, just not the "group Perks" that they were "offering" (that is actually included in the price of the group)--ie, wine and strawberries, OBC, etc.:)

I'm actually having a cruise booked under group. I'm not getting the 8 cabins I have thought we will since a few people haven't booked. I was told that I would not get the berth. Why is it that you are not getting the amenities since you have to pay extra for them?

I'm actually having a cruise booked under group. I'm not getting the 8 cabins I have thought we will since a few people haven't booked. I was told that I would not get the berth. Why is it that you are not getting the amenities since you have to pay extra for them?

"did not get" (past tense)..

they pull the perks, as well as no Travel Credit if you dont get the allotted 8 cabins.

Groups used to get great perks... high OBC, gifts in cabin, and (used to be) the more cabins you had, the more goodies they gave... its not that way so much anymore....

:(

That is if you get a special "group rate", and you fall below what they consider a "group"...you can still go as a group and book together and not have a problem, but if you book under the "group rate", which I was also told isn't always better than some of the other pricing options out there, you would have to regroup as you were no longer a "group"

We have booked a group and several backed out. We have never had to rebook and pay current fare. We just did not get the amenities and did not get the cruise fare covered is all.

Dana

You probably just booked as a group and not a group rate or if you fell below 8 cabins they have to book you at a different rate...

We have been on groups before also and never gotten a group rate, just booked a block of rooms at either Past Guest or Early Saver, but I guess if you call the group booking department you can get a different rate for a group...also, if you went through a TA it may be different also...

I found that TODAY when booking a group-- the Early Saver rate was better then a group rate even with the 100.00 cabin credit.

I agree with the above that perks for groups are not as good as they used to be

they pull the perks, as well as no Travel Credit if you dont get the allotted 8 cabins.

Groups used to get great perks... high OBC, gifts in cabin, and (used to be) the more cabins you had, the more goodies they gave... its not that way so much anymore....

Very true...last group cruise we went on we booked on our own as I found the rate lower than the group rate everyone was paying...the ONLY amenity I missed out on was the 2 bottles of wine they sent to the table of 8 on the last night...the cheapest bottle on the menu...

I booked with a group who originally had over 8 cabins. Over the course of time all but 2 cabins cancelled including our group leader/TA.

The TA cancelled due to unexpected surgery which is going to have a rather long, intensive rehab.

My cabin price did not increase and the TA is following thru with the promised amenities that came with the original group booking. So my TA will continue to get my business for going above and beyond!

I booked with a group who originally had over 8 cabins. Over the course of time all but 2 cabins cancelled including our group leader/TA.

The TA cancelled due to unexpected surgery which is going to have a rather long, intensive rehab.

My cabin price did not increase and the TA is following thru with the promised amenities that came with the original group booking. So my TA will continue to get my business for going above and beyond!

Thats great, but of course not the Norm.. TA probably had amenity points to use, or what ever... still a very nice thing to do to assure future business.

:)

They only pull the perks if you don't have 5 cabins booked under "regular" fare - travel agent and interline rates don't count. They won't pull the group rate unless you have less than 2 cabins booked and paid for at final payment.

The best "perk" to group rates is the ability to grab cabins when they first open up (at their supposed lowest price point), allow people to book with a reduced deposit (for a period of time) and the ability to hold those cabins at the lower price as long as the TA is willing to deposit funds at group level to hold the cabins as available ... just gives everyone more time ... but it's very true that if the group doesn't grab cabins at the lowest price up front, people may find better prices on their own. That said, I have been told that the group rates may be lowered to meet current rates if rates drop. Kind of like the best of both worlds if you have someone who knows what they're doing managing the group. The CC groups seem to do a great job with this ... I don't see too many of the crazies or other major groups on this site complaining about issues like this.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

They only pull the perks if you don't have 5 cabins booked under "regular" fare - travel agent and interline rates don't count. They won't pull the group rate unless you have less than 2 cabins booked and paid for at final payment.

We got the same rate... they pulled the OBC and Wine/Strawberries. (TA did give us some, just because, but the original amount from Carnival was not given)

Kind of like the best of both worlds if you have someone who knows what they're doing managing the group. The CC groups seem to do a great job with this ... I don't see too many of the crazies or other major groups on this site complaining about issues like this.

Remember CC *is* run by a TravelAgency (from what I understand) --thats one of the reasons posts about other TAs or Groups etc are not allowed. The Size of CC groups, allows them a bit more leverage...

Your group rate is set . Your rate will remain the same even if only one cabin ends up sailing.

If at least 5 cabins in your group sail, you will retain the group ameity if there is one.

Naturaly if 8 don't sail , no 1 guest cruise fare awarded.

Don't want to be a Tour Leader ? A TA can do it all for you, for free.

Your group rate is set . Your rate will remain the same even if only one cabin ends up sailing.

If at least 5 cabins in your group sail, you will retain the group ameity if there is one.

Naturaly if 8 don't sail , no 1 guest cruise fare awarded.

Don't want to be a Tour Leader ? A TA can do it all for you, for free.

Even when i was the group "leader" myTA still handled everything... luvthat:)

Archived