Sun - wireless internet onboard

Starbuck1

Hey previous NCL Sun cruisers!

Has anyone used thier own laptop with NCL's wireless net connection in their staterooms? Wondering how much of the ship is covered by the 'wireless signal'.

Thanks fellow cyber-geeks!

:cool: Starbuck

surf the net in your staterooms unless NCL has upgraded their system since last year - the wireless is picked up in the atrium area and up on the pool deck only- when i used it last year it was slow and unreliable and expensive -a tip someone gave me - check and see how busy the internet cafe is - if it is busy a lot of broadband is probably being used so it will be slow so try for a slow time.

Hope this helps

Dennis

Thanks for the info, Dennis! I had a feeling NCL was really behind with their wireless capabilities. And the Sun isn't the newest ship around.

I read Princess provides in-room access in their suites - but no mention of wireless/hardwired or the cost. You'd think with nearly everyone (everyone I know, that is) being so obsessed with net access, the lines would be promoting it like crazy. I'm sure others would argue that it's a holiday, so we should all leave the cell phones and PCs behind.

Hmmm... perhaps I will start a new onboard group for the PC addicted... - "Friends of Bill G." or, "How To Have Fun without a Laptop!"

I was on the Sun 2/26-3/5 this year. I took my laptop to offload pictures and so my DW and I could keep up with our kids through EMAIL. I bought the middle wireless package the first day so that I got the free 20 minutes. There are no ethernet connections in the rooms and there did not seem to be any ethernet connections available in the atrium. Just wireless and computers to rent.

Basically, I had no problems using the wireless connection. It felt like I was using my home wireless connection. The speed seemed fine. I would echo what was posted earlier and suggest that you use wireless when there are few people at the computers. It should be faster that way.

My only negative comment would be that I was unable to check the history of my minutes. It would tell me how many minutes I have left but I feel like the minutes added up too fast. However, the guy at the desk was no help. He really did not know much at all. Also, wireless did not work in one of the ports so you might want to wait until you are at sea to boot up.

Just to be clear, I am a computer geek and am very comfortable with networks. I used Outlook offline to compose/read all of my notes and then just connected to send and receive EMAILs. I did not use the internet at all. That takes too much time when the minutes cost 75 cents each. My only real mistake was EMAILing a couple pictures. Since my camera is a 6.3 Megapixal, each picture was over 3MB in size. That ate up a few minutes. Otherwise, the connection was great and let me keep in touch with our kids and parents. Hope this helps.

Thanks alot for the first hand update, Dave! My DH a programmer and workaholic, so taking the notebook may not be the best holiday plan ever... although, it's harder to type with a rum and coke in one hand!

Each ship must have at least one techie - can you imagine the onboard billing system going down? Major disaster! But, what a cool job that would be!

Hope you enjoyed your cruise - we're doing the Alaska Inside Passage voyage May 8.

Thanks again for the info...

Archived