Circle C...

tracyanns

My daughter is freaking out because on our upcoming cruise she will be 12 which means no more Camp Carnival for her. She is devastated by this and wants to go to Camp Carnival anyway. She turns 12 the DAY we leave so I think they would let her, she has been on this ship and knows the staff and is facebook friends with them...

I feel very secure with her in Camp Carnival because I know they are VERY diligent about watching them and not letting them get in trouble. It seem that the Circle C is much less organized as far as activities. It almost seems you just go there and hang out...maybe not so much really supervised.

Anyone who has had an recent experiences with this I would appreciate your feed back. On the Miracle if this matters...

My youngest will be 12 on our next cruise. Since we started cruising when he was 4, he's been through all the Camp Carnival groups. To be honest, on our last cruise he was a bit bored with Camp Carnival, being one of the older kids, and he's looking forward to Circle C. Our middle son was in Circle C for a number of our cruises (including Miracle in 2009). Yes, they are more "on their own" than in Camp Carnival - there's no sign-in and sign-out. Son would usually look over the scheduled activities and choose the ones in which he wanted to participate - basketball and ping-pong tournaments, absolutely. Friendship bracelet-making - uh, no:rolleyes:. For us, the most important thing is to set the "ground rules" ahead of time - including all meals with us (or at least put in an appearance at breakfast and lunch), let us know your plans, and when to be back in the cabin at night.

I would recommend that you and daughter visit Circle C on embarkation day (you will have to sign the forms to register her anyway) and talk to the youth counselor. Miracle's Circle C is just one deck down from Camp Carnival, at the forward end of deck 4. If daughter is still uncomfortable, talk to the Camp Carnival director about moving down to the 9-11 group.

my kids will be 12 and 14 when we cruise next month. we are wondering how much they might enjoy circle c. Also, what do parents normally set for a curfew for this age group? What does circle c offer for nighttime activities?

It think a curfew depends on the child. My daughter is more mature than my son and he is 2 1/2 years older than her. For her I started off having a 10 PM curfew. Then when she made the curfew two nights in a row I extended it later. It also depended on the activites that Circle C was having. Their activities tend to end about midnight.... so we worked up to that time.. She never missed curfew so I am good with that....

my kids will be 12 and 14 when we cruise next month. we are wondering how much they might enjoy circle c. Also, what do parents normally set for a curfew for this age group? What does circle c offer for nighttime activities?
Circle C activities are generally scheduled until midnight or 1 a.m. Activities generally start after lunch. Here are some sample night activities from one of our cruises (it's 2010, but it's still pretty representative):

Circle C Hollywood Dance Mania Party

Blind Date (it's a game)

Movie: Twilight 2

Circle C Glow Stick Party

MarioKart Tourney and Guitar Hero Challenge

Ice Cream Eating Competition

I've also seen free swims, pizza parties, and arcade time on our cruises.

your kids will be in together sothat may be a good thing. Its very important they go to the teen meet the first night and participate in the first ice breaker games the counselor throws together.

This age group is very hard as these kids are way too cool for organized activities. You will find groups together playing cards, eating pizza and sitting in hot tubs.

curfew? activities end at 10pm and they do have early port days.

the last night they may find an all night get together-- so use that as a bribe.

Thanks all. I too was glad to see they are in the same age group. My kids are well behaved and mature, but with most any kids, add a group setting in a fun atmosphere...I don't want any surprises...it's my vacation too :-) I like the idea of an earlier curfew then later as they go.

We had reserved late dining as we are normally late eating dinner at home. Is there a better time for dinner with kids this age? Having dinner with us will be a requirement most nights, but I don't want to drag the kids away from something fun. Appreciate all the tips. Last I cruised was in college with a dozen of my sorority sisters - so this will be a somewhat different experience :D

Thanks all. I too was glad to see they are in the same age group. My kids are well behaved and mature, but with most any kids, add a group setting in a fun atmosphere...I don't want any surprises...it's my vacation too :-) I like the idea of an earlier curfew then later as they go.

We had reserved late dining as we are normally late eating dinner at home. Is there a better time for dinner with kids this age? Having dinner with us will be a requirement most nights, but I don't want to drag the kids away from something fun. Appreciate all the tips. Last I cruised was in college with a dozen of my sorority sisters - so this will be a somewhat different experience :D

We do the My Time Dining when we take the kids...this way if there is something going on maybe we can work around it. Most nights she wanted to have dinner in the buffet and then go to camp...it's a long dinner for them to sit through.

Thanks for your replys. I let her sign herself in and out last cruise and she did OK with it. I think once she gets there she will be fine...it's just that anticipation of something new. I guess I am thinking I will have her look over the schedule so I know what she is doing...I just don't want my 12 yr old daughter wandering around by herself...I know she knows the rules but not everyone else does...and that is what I worry about. There is something to be said about safety in numbers...

Can anyone remember what time the initial meet is in Circle C on the first night. We have the steakhouse booked but I'd like my daughter to be able to go along and meet some of the other kids. We're booked for 7:30pm but could shuffle around if needs be.

Thanks in advance,

Pam.

Early dining is better for us. THis way the kids know what to expect. Dinner together is mandatory for us too.

Early dining works better for the activities- program closes at 5pm and opens back up at 7 with stuff being full swing by 8pm. Eating late dining will give the kids way too much down time. (even with the anytime dining and showing up at 7pm- you will be done around 8:30 and with teens its hard to get into the program when the activity has already begun.

Thanks for your replys. I let her sign herself in and out last cruise and she did OK with it. I think once she gets there she will be fine...it's just that anticipation of something new. I guess I am thinking I will have her look over the schedule so I know what she is doing...I just don't want my 12 yr old daughter wandering around by herself...I know she knows the rules but not everyone else does...and that is what I worry about. There is something to be said about safety in numbers...

I'm in the same boat, LOL. :D My daughter will also be 12 and a first-timer in Circle C. We've talked about it briefly (will talk more in depth AND I have a "contract" all typed out that I found somewhere here on CC and she knows that breaking the contract will result in her being chained to our sides for the remainder of the cruise) but our basic plan is that we'll look over the Circle C activities together, she'll pick which she wants to participate in and will be allowed to get from where we are to the activity and back to us afterwards. We'll bring our walkie talkies. I'm still not down with her roaming the ship aimlessly, so when she's not at an activity she'll be with us. Which is OK with us because we enjoy one another's company and I'm not on vacation to ditch my kid. :)

Now my oldest is will be 3 months shy of turning 12, how strict are they on the age groups being together? Looking over all the activites that have been posted sounds like she could have a ball!!!! I know this year we're letting her (and a friend of the family who is coming) kinda make her own plans on sea day...If she chooses to saty with us great , if she wants to go to Camp Carnival thats great too!!! But all within reason,and I agree safety in numbers !

OOh does anyone have any recent Funtimes for Camp Carnival and Circle C?(or where I could find them) We're going on the Miracle soon and love to show her and her sister all they can do! Thanks!

My daughter is freaking out because on our upcoming cruise she will be 12 which means no more Camp Carnival for her. She is devastated by this and wants to go to Camp Carnival anyway. She turns 12 the DAY we leave so I think they would let her, she has been on this ship and knows the staff and is facebook friends with them...

I feel very secure with her in Camp Carnival because I know they are VERY diligent about watching them and not letting them get in trouble. It seem that the Circle C is much less organized as far as activities. It almost seems you just go there and hang out...maybe not so much really supervised.

Anyone who has had an recent experiences with this I would appreciate your feed back. On the Miracle if this matters...

My son is the opposite...he is so excited he will be 12 and is FINALLY old enough for Circle C.

Will Carnival allow my 15 and 13 DDs stay together? The 15 DD is shy but she does not want to hang out with the 13 year old group.

if you are asking if your 13 year old can move to the 15-17 year group.. not a chance.

Now your daughter could move down-- but like you said-- she would not want to

Now my oldest is will be 3 months shy of turning 12, how strict are they on the age groups being together? Looking over all the activites that have been posted sounds like she could have a ball!!!! I know this year we're letting her (and a friend of the family who is coming) kinda make her own plans on sea day...If she chooses to saty with us great , if she wants to go to Camp Carnival thats great too!!! But all within reason,and I agree safety in numbers !

OOh does anyone have any recent Funtimes for Camp Carnival and Circle C?(or where I could find them) We're going on the Miracle soon and love to show her and her sister all they can do! Thanks!

It would depend on how many kids are onboard and how many kids are in each group- you are sailing during a high peak family sailing time- More then likely if you ask you will be told no.

IF you do find a schedule of the kids activities they will probably change by the time you sail.

My daughter turns 15 four days into our cruise (with four days left after her birthday). In our Fun Pass paperwork where you can do the pre-registration of the camps, they have her listed as doing the O2 club versus the Circle C (I was going to talk to the director of the club when we got on board about putting her in the O2 instead of the Circle C - our last cruise, which was just this past December, she was so bored with the Circle C ... she is a 14 year old Freshman which made it so the activities that were done, were just to boring for her - but since they already have her as doing the O2, I won't have to talk to them).

I would think that because your daughter turns 12 while on the cruise they shouldn't have a problem ... just talk to the person in charge of the Circle C group ... I have heard of several children being put in the older group when their birthday is that close.

Will Carnival allow my 15 and 13 DDs stay together? The 15 DD is shy but she does not want to hang out with the 13 year old group.

Not a chance. My son is 17 and was in the O2 club this past December (and back in May 2010), there were some girls from the Circle C group that tried hanging out in the O2 club and they were kicked out and told to go back to their group. But I also know that there have been some kids from the O2 group that tried hanging out in the Circle C and were not allowed there either. I think at 13 and 15, your daughters will do fine in their perspective clubs ... the two do, do things together a couple of times during the cruise tho.

My son is 11 and we are sailing in 2 weeks. He really doesn't want to go to Camp Carnival. He was bored there last time. Any chance they will let him move up to Circle C? We plan to go and ask when they have registration.

you are sailing during a high peak family time (presidents week) and there are tons of kids onboard. (last year there was over 800 kids on the Pride that week.

when is your sons birthday compared to when he cruises?? if its real soon they may make an exception.

If you teen is in high school--take a high school ID. It may be easier to move up in the program that way-- but dont "expect" it.

I have the kids camp papers for the 9-11 age group if you want to see.

Archived