Advice Ladies please!

Delilah21

I am visiting the Holy Land on a cruise in early April. Two days there. What do I wear??!! I understand the need to cover up and dress modestly. Am not really a trousers girl so is a dress and cardigan or skirt acceptable? Should I wear "neutral colours". Any advice would be appreciated.

on line. It is called XCVI - just put it in your search engine. It is very modern, not old looking, but very stylish. The cotton has a little give. It is kind of ruched. Sounds awful, but fabulous, especially for countries like that. Comes down to the calf. Doesn't cost much. I use a slate gray or a tan. Lots of colors. For the top, I usually wear cotton with 3/4 sleeves, loose. Oh--XCVI is not that expensive, I think $59. I have worn it all over. They run a little large. I wear a 10/12, which would be medium and I get a small.

If you are just going to Israel, you can wear pretty much whatever you want, but you wouldn't be allowed into certain religious sites/churches if you were wearing shorts or sleeveless tops. Our pastor went there a couple of years ago with his family, including teen age daughter. She was wearing shorts the day they went to Bethlehem, so she had to rent a wrap to go around her legs to cover them when they went inside the church. I have seen this in other places as well.

As long as upper arms and knees up are covered, you will be fine. Do NOT need a skirt that goes to the calves. Capris would be ok if they are below the knee. I prefer loose fitting skirts though in warm climates.

I agree with RachelG - you do not need to wear a long skirt - Capri pants and a short sleeve top usually works. If you are still not sure bring a lightweight scarf to either wrap around your waist or around you arms. I always bring a floppy hat with met- Important to protect from the sun and you can wear it into all the holy sites.

Will you be on Silver Wind on the March 27 cruise? We are a group of 8 who will be in that voyage.

Don't forget that skirts make life easier when confronted with a squat toilet!

squat toilet? where do you think israel is? the third world?

Also, no skirts required.

In fact, very few Israeli women wear skirts (other than religious women - less than 20%).

Most women wear trousers (either full length or capri length in the summer).

As is true in continental europe, grown women don't typically wear shorts (american women are the only ones who tend to walk around looking like that - making it VERY easy to spot american tourists)...

to enter holy sites, you typically need to have your shoulders covered.

A short sleeve shirt will suffice (or even just a light scarf thrown over your shoulders if you're sleeveless).

For me, the Holy Land includes Egypt, Palestine, Syria, Jordan and, although I haven't been to those places, it wouldn't surprise me to find a squat toilet there. They had them at Victoria Peak in Hong Kong.

the holy land refers to Israel (and i suppose now the palestinian authority - though i'd be shocked to find a squat toilet there as well)

I have seen squat toilets in Italy--hardly 3rd world. And they are common in Turkey, Egypt, Syria, so I expect that there may be some in Israel.

you're perfectly welcome to urinate in the bushes while out on a hike - or if you're a man, do as the men do here and pee just about anywhere (when in rome and all that), but you're not going to find a squat toilet in israel.

you might encounter a chemical toilet on a construction site (one of those portojohnny things), but no squat toilets.

Archived