Convince Me: Triumph

skittl1321

A new baby was just born in our family and we need to make a trip to see her. It is really expensive to fly to Texas, so husband will likely go alone. However, we thought we might drive together (from Iowa), but if we do that, I'll basically be taking my vacation for the year. We thought we'd throw in a quick cruise while we are down there (yeah, the added Austin to Galveston drive is going to stink, but hey- CRUISE!)

The problem is the only cruise that fits our schedule seems to be 5-day Triumph to Progresso/Cozumel. (Are no other lines going out of Galveston anymore?)

I'm hesitant for a 2 reasons. 1) Our other cruises have been longer- we like the more relaxed, less party oriented atmosphere. Is a 5-day cruise going to be too crazy? and 2) I'm not sure about the ports. We definitely cruise for ports. The port reviews didn't do enough to convince me. What do you think of them? Husband loves to snorkel, but I'm not really a fan. I'd like to see ruins - but I see mixed reviews...

I think it could be fun because we've never been on a Destiny class ship, and also: cruise!

Convince me- do we book Triumph?

The drive from Austin to Galveston is not bad at all. RCL mariner of the seas also is in Gal. I cruise more for the cruise than the ports, but I found stuff to do in both posts. We took a trip to Merida while at Progresso. Toured a rum factory that was not automated at all... interesting, and the tasting was good too! I like Cozumel...others don't. I can walk around looking at the water and drinking margaritas and think it's a good port! So, not much help but hey... it's a cruise!

1) Uxmal Ruins in Progreso - 1 hour less roundtrip drive than Chitchen Itza, less vendors (people trying to sell you stuff you really don't want) than Chitchen Itza, you can actually climb on and touch many of the ruins (many are off limits at Chitchen Itza), book through Autoprogresso ($30 cheaper than Carnival and you don't need to pay till you get there so if the port is missed no worries)

2) Snorkel in Cozumel

We just got of of a 4 day on Triumph and it was actually quite nice. This was our first cruise on Triumph and I was expecting a slightly run down older ship, but that was not the case at all. It was clean and attractive and well cared for, and the food and service were excellent.

As far as your concern about the shorter cruise being a rowdy 'booze cruise', I was kind of expecting that would be the case too as it was a 4 day cruise over the weekend... but that was not the case at all. People were having a good time as they should on a cruise, but they were generally polite and well behaved. The age demographics were very mixed, with more middle aged to older people and few children this time of year. I think it depends more on the time of year you cruise than on the length of the cruise.

Depending on what you like to do, both Cozumel and Progreso are great ports for a nice pleasant beach day. Some like to get a massage on the beach along with their favorite beverage. We like to snorkel on Cozumel.

Progreso also offers some interesting Mayan ruins that you can tour... Uxmal is our favorite. (Book that excursion through the ship as it takes all day and you don't want to miss the ship.)

I like longer cruises too, but anytime I get a chance to take a quick 4 or 5 day cruise on Triumph now I will jump on it in a heartbeat. They really left us with smiles on our faces. Go for it if you can fit into your schedule!

Yes, there are other lines, but they have the same 7 day schedule as Magic, so if Magic schedule doesnt work, neither would a 7 day Mariner OTS cruise this winter.

Princess is also coming in 2012, crown princess. disney for a while too.

Im just off Triumph and Progresso is nothing to write home about, a lot of complaints on the ship, why does Carnival go there. There just arent that many ports to send more ships to. Enjoy it for what its worth.. things are cheap there, take advantage.

A new baby was just born in our family and we need to make a trip to see her. It is really expensive to fly to Texas, so husband will likely go alone. However, we thought we might drive together (from Iowa), but if we do that, I'll basically be taking my vacation for the year. We thought we'd throw in a quick cruise while we are down there (yeah, the added Austin to Galveston drive is going to stink, but hey- CRUISE!)

The problem is the only cruise that fits our schedule seems to be 5-day Triumph to Progresso/Cozumel. (Are no other lines going out of Galveston anymore?)

I'm hesitant for a 2 reasons. 1) Our other cruises have been longer- we like the more relaxed, less party oriented atmosphere. Is a 5-day cruise going to be too crazy? and 2) I'm not sure about the ports. We definitely cruise for ports. The port reviews didn't do enough to convince me. What do you think of them? Husband loves to snorkel, but I'm not really a fan. I'd like to see ruins - but I see mixed reviews...

I think it could be fun because we've never been on a Destiny class ship, and also: cruise!

Convince me- do we book Triumph?

although the destiny class is my least favorite of the carnival classes, the triumph is my favorite of the three.

The drive from austin is not bad at all. The magic does 7 days...not sure how far in the future you want to book but if its late 2013 the magic schedule hasnt come out(at least when i last looked) but triumph has.

Just got back from our 5 day on the Triumph. We had a great time. Our dining room staff was awesome and had us laughing the whole time. The beach we went to in Progresso was actually clean but not as pretty as Cozumel. We also took a tour of the Dzibilchaltun Mayan Ruins which was probably not as impressive as some of the other ruins but I didn't want to spend most of our day riding in a bus as they said the ride just to get there were almost 2 hours. This was our 2nd time cruising with Carnival and I was actually impressed with our room, staff and the cruise overall. I say go for it!

The drive from austin is not bad at all. The magic does 7 days...not sure how far in the future you want to book but if its late 2013 the magic schedule hasnt come out(at least when i last looked) but triumph has.

No, this would be in the next month or two- likely early April. We need to go visit the baby. Unfortunately I can't take enough vacation to also do a longer cruise, hence Triumph being the only option.

yeah, the added Austin to Galveston drive is going to stink, but hey- CRUISE!

That drive beats Georgetown to Austin every weekday morning... :mad:

We're sailing the Triumph over Easter weekend, going to hang out at Nachi Cocom for the day in Cozumel. Usually we snorkel there but the wife has had enough of that. This August the boys and I will be scuba diving instead when we sail the Magic.

Archived