Does any one know who will conduct an investigation of the incident on the Dawn?

smeyer418

My DH is a retired Coast Guard officer. Coast Guard will conduct the investigation (and it sounds like they've already started.) NTSB only gets involved when there's major loss of life.

He also said that yes, in most cases, a ship would try to go around such a system, but it's possible the Captain didn't have that option. Captains certainly don't want to put their ships nor their passengers in harm's way. No matter if this is a freak of nature or not, it's still going to be a black mark in the Captain's record.

Why shouldn't an investigation be conducted? Much could be learned such as: Can we learn anything about the "rouge waves" that may make predicting them easier for future cruises?, Should different materials be used in the glass windows/ doors that broke? Just because it was King Trident having some fun doesn't mean we should just ignore the event.

The FAA would investigate an incident where a plane encounted turbulance that resulted in passenger injuries, so should some other agency for the Dawn. When all is said and done, the captain and crew will probably be given a clean report on their actions. From the reports available, seems like NCL and the crew's actions were right on track. But again, what can we learn for the future?

Why shouldn't an investigation be conducted? Much could be learned such as: Can we learn anything about the "rouge waves" that may make predicting them easier for future cruises?, Should different materials be used in the glass windows/ doors that broke? Just because it was King Trident having some fun doesn't mean we should just ignore the event.

The FAA would investigate an incident where a plane encounted turbulance that resulted in passenger injuries, so should some other agency for the Dawn. When all is said and done, the captain and crew will probably be given a clean report on their actions. From the reports available, seems like NCL and the crew's actions were right on track. But again, what can we learn for the future?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1287 Read this article. It states that, "...In fact, rogue waves, defined as unpredictable waves that occur at random..."

So, the answer is no, you can't predict them.

Do a google search and you'll come up with some interesting information on rogue waves, such as this one. http://www.enviroliteracy.org/article.php/257.html

Monica

Of course, the next logical line of investigation is whether ins fact it was a rogue wave or is that the story NCL wants everyone to believe to absolve themselves of any liability?

Even if the answer is, Yes, it was a rogue wave, these issues MUST be investigated.

Of course, the next logical line of investigation is whether ins fact it was a rogue wave or is that the story NCL wants everyone to believe to absolve themselves of any liability?

Even if the answer is, Yes, it was a rogue wave, these issues MUST be investigated.

Do you actually believe what you are saying? Do you have some sort of beef with NCL or with large corporations? Are you really this dis-trusting? Who was it who wronged you in your past? Wow! I will say it AGAIN. It was a rogue wave. You can't predict it. There does not need to be a reason or answer for EVERYTHING. Sometimes things happen that cannot be explained.

isn't that a little ridiculous? what's next...NCL hired aliens to drop their ufo into the ocean to cause this huge wave?

LOL! I am glad you jokingly posted this before someone posted this seriously. What is with all the conspiracy nuts around here?

Sail around to where? ;)

Ships change their itineraries....it's a big ocean....knowing about this weather system...I'm shocked that they sailed thru it. During hurricane season Eastern is routed to Western in the event of a storm and vice versa....ports are cancelled, to AVOID these situations. This weather system was compared to a hurricane.

Is it the Coast Guard or the NTSB(the national transportation safety board) or someone else? I know NTSB is doing the investigation on the Norway(which it hasn't completed two years later). The NTSB investigates every incident on a plane when someone is injured(and sometimes when an incident takes place if no one is injured)

What are they going to do? Interview the surrounding waves? I'm sure they've high tailed it out of there. Maybe hiding in the grassy knoll.

How do you know it was a rogue wave? Because NCL said so?

Oh, the same NCL who said they were going to GSC when they weren't going to GSC.

Oh, that one.

Okay, you have made my point, thank you. Obviously you have a beef with NCL. That explains it all. Thanks again.

LOL! I am glad you jokingly posted this before someone posted this seriously. What is with all the conspiracy nuts around here?

humor gets everyone far in life. :) i appreciate yours also. :D

canttwait,

GSC and a 70 foot wave...not on the same level. it's really absurd to think they covered this up. next we're going to hear about how they didn't land on the moon right and it was NCL's fault! come on..let's get real.

WAIT! i've solved it. it was NCL, with the wave, in the Atlantic ocean. :rolleyes:

It's a conspiracy! Next thing you know, we'll have the Smoking Man testifying for NCL in the congressional investigation.

Ships change their itineraries....it's a big ocean....knowing about this weather system...I'm shocked that they sailed thru it. During hurricane season Eastern is routed to Western in the event of a storm and vice versa....ports are cancelled, to AVOID these situations. This weather system was compared to a hurricane.

I may be mistaken but wasn't this "rogue wave" encountered long before reaching the area where the storm system was churning?

Also the rerouting of itinerary's during hurricane season is not usually a fly by the seat of your pants kind of thing.

From what I understand this was a low pressure system churning off the Carolina Coast and heading East...Was the captain supposed to sail to England to avoid it?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1287 Read this article. It states that, "...In fact, rogue waves, defined as unpredictable waves that occur at random..."

So, the answer is no, you can't predict them.

Do a google search and you'll come up with some interesting information on rogue waves, such as this one. http://www.enviroliteracy.org/article.php/257.html

Monica

Used to be vocanic eruptions couldn't be predicted either.

The NTSB takes over a year to make a finding, and when they do, I doubt whether even half the people who read it believe it. Still huge debate over why the tail came off the airbus over Queens.

Hey, wait a minute! The Airbus was built in a foreign factory. The Dawn was built in a foreign shipyard. I am beginning to smell an international conspiracy here that needs to be investigated by Homeland Security. That will get us the answers. I believe it was condition orange in the Atlantic last week-end, was it not?

Something puzzles me, are we dealing with a 15 yr. old here:eek: If your birthday is right, why aren`t you in school:confused:

"Investigating" a rogue wave incident makes about as much sense as "investigating" the tsunami that struck Sri Lanka on Christmas.

Should all the residents of Sri Lanka contact their attorneys and file a lawsuit against nature?

This thread seriously has me laughing my head off!

If we are going to ask for an investagation, I want to know why service is so much slower with "Freestyle". As for the rogue wave, I'll ask in my prayers about that.

Just glad the injuries were as low as they were.

"Investigating" a rogue wave incident makes about as much sense as "investigating" the tsunami that struck Sri Lanka on Christmas.

Should all the residents of Sri Lanka contact their attorneys and file a lawsuit against nature?

This thread seriously has me laughing my head off!

Actually there are people who are filing charges:eek: They said they should have gotten a warning even tho there are no warning devices in that area.

Archived