Capri or Amalfi Coast

nyyhoneybee

We were on a Mediterranean and Greek Isles cruise this past summer. When I was planning our excursions, I faced the dilemma of what to do in Naples, too.

Capri or Amalfi Coast or Pompeii... oh, my. Hard to choose.

I agree, one day isn't enough to see both.

We had spent a week in Tuscany prior to the 12-day very port-intensive cruise. Naples would be the last port before the cruise ended in Civitavecchia. A long trip, full of beautiful sites and adventures!

I figured we should spend our last day in a more relaxed way, so we chose to do an Amalfi Coast tour. It was MORE wonderful than I even imagined. We got off the ship in Naples, met our driver (AP Tours) and off we went to Amalfi town, Ravello, and lunch in Positano. We ate at the spectacular restaurant Trattoria La Tagliata, with the most amazing views.

After a wonderful day visiting the Amalfi Coast, our driver took us to Sorrento where we got on the ferry for a relaxing ride back to Naples.

We hope to return to Italy and see Pompeii and Capri someday.

Whatever you choose, have a fabulous time.

Well we do agree one day is not enough (we have spent two weeks on the Amalfi Coast) but you just do the best you can do in a day. One advantage to going to Capri is that its very easy to do on your own from the port. You simply walk over to the nearby Molo Beverelo Ferry Port (about a 5 min stroll) from your ship and buy a ticket on the next jetboat/hydrofoil that goes to Capri. Make sure you purchase your return ticket as soon as you get to Capri so you can pick the best departure time.

As to the Amalfi Coast, this is difficult to do on your own without a rental car or a private tour. The cruise line excursions are usually not the best way to see the Amalfi Coast since tour beses are not permitted to enter the picturesque town of Positano (they only give you a view from above). It is possible to do the Amalfi Coast by using public transit (the SITA bus from Sorrento to Amalfi) but we do not normally recommend this to folks not familiar with the region and traveling in Italy.

Hank

There really is a lot to see in that area of Italy. Because of that we decided to spend 4 nights pre-cruise (this past Oct) in a B&B in Salerno so we could see Amalfi Coast (Positano, Amalfi, Ravello) one day, Sorrento and Pompeii the next day, and Capri the third day. Then we took an early morning train directly from Salerno to Civitavecchia to board our ship. We spent our port day in Naples walking through Naples and visiting the Archaeological Museum (where a lot of original art from Pompeii is displayed). This plan worked out well.

Having done both, I would recommend a tour of the Amalfi Coast. We took the ship's excursion from Naples. The roads are narrow and buses can only go southbound, so sit on the curb side (opposite side to the driver) for the great views. Myself I wouldn't rent a car and drive these roads...leave it to the pros! There is public transport but the roads can get very busy and if there's an accident the traffic could be tied up for hours. We normally do all the ports independently but this is one port where we were satisfied to do a ship's shore excursion. We did Capri on another cruise. It's a beautiful island and Anacapri is a quaint little town with shops and hiking trails. IMHO everyone's bucket list should include a ride down the Amalfi Coast.

Enjoy.

We haven't been yet but our friends that have all say they prefer Capri. We choose Capri because it offered more options for what we wanted - an island boat tour & swimming in the a.m. and then walking around the island etc in the p.m.

We looked into the Amalfi coast but decided we didn't want to be in a car all day with hundreds of other people all stopping at the same stops to take pictures. Someday we would like to get there but for our first trip we're going with Capri.

I'm sure you will enjoy whichever one you decide! :)

Archived