Help from Locals: Peter-krynicki,Aquahound,bhopal 21, Keywesst

emcee207

We were in KW back in Feb of 2009 for 5 days prior to picking up a cruise in Ft Lauderdale. I used this forum extensively back then for restaurant, bar, tours, etc info.

One afternoon my wife and I were having a few drinks at Schooners, with Michael Mcleod playing. We were at the bar and started a conversation with I think one of you regarding employment opportunities in KW at restaurants, bars, etc. My wife has been in that business for all her life. We were (are) considering changing our lifestyle, relocating to KW (or close). You were very helpful that day answering lots of our questions.

One of the answers is one I"ve never forgotten. When I asked you if you thought my wife would be able to find employment your answer was (proceeded by a laugh) "Does she show up for work every day?"

Anyways, we're still thinking about this and was looking for some recent updates re: economic status and job opps in the area.

I know this is a bit out of place for this forum; if anyone had info to share I can provide you with my email.

I think it was "Keywesst" we spoke to that day but I notice no recent posts from you/him.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Curiously, I have used that phrase about the most important thing about keeping a job is just showing up when you are supposed to. Most anything esle can be taught.

Anyway, I usually stop at the Tiki bar at the Ocean Key Resort on the Saturday afternoon that I show up. It's usually not very crowded and I can chat with any of the bar-tenders who work there then. I noticed that Al was ot only tending bar but he was also waiting tables, somethng he doesn't usually do. When I asked him he said that the economy there wasn't that good and they had to let a few wait-staff go. Several places have closed - SummerSalt, a nice clothing shop that used to be on Front Street, and the entire Sunny Days organization has, too. Luckily most of the captains and crew have been absorbed by Fury, Sebago, Jolly Rover, etc.

But other places keep popping up - Tattoos and Scars (of all things) The Porch, a new sports bar where PJ's Latenight Cafe used to be, Island Mobility which was just started by a couple who did just what you are thinking of doing. You won't get rich, but it seems do-able.

hth

Pjk

Thanks,

I'm pretty sure it was "keywesst" that we met and talked to that day at Schooners. But I checked and he hasn't posted on this topic in quite a while. Have you seen or talked to him?

I'll check into a couple of those new places. Interesting about the couple who started Island Mobility; what kind of business?

We're not looking to get rich, just looking to relocate somewhere we'd like to eventually retire at. DO NOT want some retirement community in mainland Florida as I'd have to kill myself, LOL.

We don't need much, small condo, etc. Just want to be able to pay our bills and enjoy a funkier lifestyle. I was recently laid off and my prospects around here I'm afraid are slim. We both decided if we were going to do this we need to do it before we got much older.

We're a lot younger thinking and acting than our age and think we could fit into the community. Big step though...........

Despite the recession, the economy in Key West has remained very strong. Tourism is only rising, and last year brought the highest number of travelers through Key West airport - ever. Hotels have had an increase in room reservations over the past 2 years. Even the cruise lines are starting to port with larger ships. The Carnival Magic, the largest ship ever to visit Key West, has started porting here - opening the door for larger ships of other cruise lines.

Yes, businesses have closed. But that always happens. From what I've seen around town, it's more to do with not being able to stick with the competitors and less to do with the economy. Sunny Days, for example, was not on the level of Fury and Sebago, thus they no longer exist.

However, the Keys were not immune to the housing crises. Although housing sales are slightly on the rise, they still remain to fall in value and foreclosures are still common. That said, many of the foreclosures are vacation homes.

A consideration you need to have with housing - it is very expensive. Nice canal homes, or homes in other nice neighborhoods are still 300k +, and insurance is very expensive. Depending on flood zones, home insurance could be 10k/yr. It's tough to find an affordable home that either isn't deed restricted or in a neighborhood where you are in close proximity to undesirable neighbors.

Sorry. Not trying to talk you out of it. Just realize living in paradise comes with a hefty price.

This is Island Mobility... http://www.islandcomfortmobility.com/

I recall them saying, just before they opened that it took 2 years just to get all of the paperwork in place. You might want to compose an email to them explaining your thoughts and see what they say. They seemed like a really nice couple.

Pjk

Thanks Peter; I did goggle it and checked it out.

We really don't want to and, financially probably couldn't, open/start a business. "Been there,Did that" and don't know at this stage of my life if I'd want to risk that.

Thanks for the info on housing Aquahound. We'd really just be looking for a small condo type of place, don't need big and fancy. Think we could find a decent condo in a safe place for about $200K??

It's great that you locals contribute so much to this forum; Thanks from someone who has used the help in the past and hopefully in the future.

Thanks for the info on housing Aquahound. We'd really just be looking for a small condo type of place, don't need big and fancy. Think we could find a decent condo in a safe place for about $200K??

That might be stretching it. Wait it out just a little bit or seek short sales/foreclosures, and you might be able to find it. There aren't too many traditional condos in Key West, but townhouses are common. Take a look at the Key West Golf Club or Truman Annex....KWGC usually being a little less expensive. Also, in the "New Town" area of Key West, small, gound level houses, aka Conch houses, might be going for around that price. It's a mixed bunch in that area, but not too bad.

That might be stretching it. Wait it out just a little bit or seek short sales/foreclosures, and you might be able to find it. There aren't too many traditional condos in Key West, but townhouses are common. Take a look at the Key West Golf Club or Truman Annex....KWGC usually being a little less expensive. Also, in the "New Town" area of Key West, small, gound level houses, aka Conch houses, might be going for around that price. It's a mixed bunch in that area, but not too bad.

Thanks, yes think the 200 mark might be a tad low. Looked at a bunch of listing yesterday,, probably 300 closer to reality for something we'd like.

Are there a few keys that have no roads to KW and you have to commute via water? i.e. Saddlebunch Key, Stock Island, Big Coppitt, sugarloaf key?? Do they have ferries?

Lots to find out!

Are there a few keys that have no roads to KW and you have to commute via water? i.e. Saddlebunch Key, Stock Island, Big Coppitt, sugarloaf key?? Do they have ferries?

US1 runs the entire length of the inhabited Keys, from Key Largo down to Key West. It's mostly a 2-lane highway with some 4 lane areas. With the exception of privately owned islands, all the inhabited islands are excesable by road. In fact, if you are looking for a quieter, waterfront home, like what I did, you'll have to look a few islands up from Key West. The islands of Sugarloaf Key, Cudjoe Key, and Summerland Key are a good place to look.

FYI...everything in the Keys is known by its mile marker. Marker 0-4 is Key West. 17 is Sugarloaf, 21-23 is Cudjoe, and 24-25 is Summerland.

Thanks 'hound, off to a good start!

By the way, how is the weather there today? Sunny but cold in Boston, probably temps 35-45 today. But we have had a very mild winter with little snow.

We're off to a cloudy start this morning, but the temp is in the low 70s. We are also having a warm winter. With the exception of a very rainy Super Bowl Sunday, it's been 80 just about every day for the past couple weeks. We're supposed to have a cool down this weekend (60s), but it's not going to last more than a day or 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Aquahound (Paul) or Peter, I will be in KW Mon Feb 27 for a week, leaving Mon March 5th. If you guys are around let me know, love to buy you a beer. I'm staying right in old town. Let me know if you have any interest and I'll send you my email.

Luigi

Aquahound (Paul) or Peter, I will be in KW Mon Feb 27 for a week, leaving Mon March 5th. If you guys are around let me know, love to buy you a beer. I'm staying right in old town. Let me know if you have any interest and I'll send you my email.

Luigi

You *did* see the post where I fessed up to living in New Jersey?

cent ani

Pjk

• 2 weeks later...

Luigi

Luigi, sorry, but I just saw this invite. I just returned from a cruise and I am 2-blocked through this weekend. Actually, it's a good thing. My buddies and I have a lot of fishing planned. ;) Thanks for the offer though!

Paul, no problem, I cut my trip back a couple of days and came home last night. A very busy 4 days. A bit of sticker shock at real estate prices though.

I did find the perfect place for us at the golf course but we won't be ready to make a move like this for a while, so it will be gone by then.

Paul, no problem, I cut my trip back a couple of days and came home last night. A very busy 4 days. A bit of sticker shock at real estate prices though.

I did find the perfect place for us at the golf course but we won't be ready to make a move like this for a while, so it will be gone by then.

Ah, don't worry. Those places are always going up for sale. Despite what some realtors will say, the market is still falling down here and I'm seeing houses drop in price daily. You wouldn't want to buy while the house is still losing value anyways. Keep on it, and I hope it works out for you.

On a different note, how was your stay? Did you enjoy yourself?

Ah, don't worry. Those places are always going up for sale. Despite what some realtors will say, the market is still falling down here and I'm seeing houses drop in price daily. You wouldn't want to buy while the house is still losing value anyways. Keep on it, and I hope it works out for you.

On a different note, how was your stay? Did you enjoy yourself?

Hi Paul, thanks. Yes, the realtors are saying prices are starting to rise. The golf course would be perfect for us. Gated community, absloutley gorgeous pool (has 3 actually but the main one is fantastic) and prices in our range. Also, not a bad ride into old town depending on traffic. Not much else impressed me. Looked at some high rise condo's (La Brisa, 1800 Atlantic, Key West something) All on the water off Atlantic, you know where they are. Not that impressed and the condo fee's are outrageous, 1800 Atlantic had $750 montly condo fee for a $380,000 unit!!! Golf course was about $300 and $400 depending on unit.

I had fun but cut my trip short by a few days as I saw what I needed to see and my lovely wife and I missed each other. Isn't that cute, LOL:rolleyes:

We're strongly considering this but will have to take it slow, fix this place up a bit and put it on the market, etc.

One positive is that appears there are plenty of jobs for professional, reliable, "normal" people that show up for work. Albeit not many big paying jobs but we can live with not that much. So that was a positive finding.

Stay tuned, thanks again for all the help and input.

Couple of other thoughts;

Every local that I met (and I talked to as many as possible to ask questions, etc about a move there) was so friendly and positive. They all encouraged me.

This is a no brainer and obvious but the day to day cost of living is certainly higher than here in New England.

Had Dinner at the Bar at Michael's Restaurant. Wow, it was fantastic! Haven't heard much about it on this thread. A few said best place in town.

When I left Friday the Celebrity "Millenium" was docked at the Mallory Square pier. When we were there in 2009 we stayed at Ocean Key Resort right there and a Regent Seven Seas ship was there. Boy, I thought that cast a big shadow over the pool at Ocean Key, the Millenium must of really cast a big one.

BTW, the Ocean Key Resort is a fantastic place to stay if you can afford it, as it is pricey. But, in 2009 our room looked right out over the square so we could watch the sunset and the madness right from our room. Their outside bar with it's own pier was cool and the food in the hotel restaurant was surprisingly good. It is called Hot Tin Roof which was the name of Carly Simon's club on Martha's Vineyard a few years ago.

Louis & Margo-where do you live in the Boston area? We are also KW lovers. We live in Medford, MA. We love this board for info. Would rather go right to KW and skip the cruise! Joanne & John

Hi Joanne and John,

We are in Milton. My wife grew up in Everett and she has lots of relatives by you. We first went to Key West in 2009 before a cruise we were taking. Because it was a 7 day cruise (which is too short now for us) on the Solstice, we decided to fly down a few days early and check out KW. We had lots of fun and while having a few happy hour drinks at Schooner Wharf started to envision "semi" retiring down there. I was laid off from work in early Jan so we started thinking about it again, thus prompting my recon trip down there this past week. Big step, scary decision so we will see.

"He who hesitates is lost" is something I've always keep in the back of my mind all my life. We shall see!

I will tell you the first time we drove down I HATED the ride. We were anxious and impatient wanting to get there and that is no way to hit US 1!

I enjoyed it much more this time.

Let me know your thoughts.

Couple of other thoughts;

Had Dinner at the Bar at Michael's Restaurant. Wow, it was fantastic! Haven't heard much about it on this thread. A few said best place in town.

My favorite restaurant.

The staff is very attentive and most of them have been there for years.

May I ask what you ate?

Mike:)

My favorite restaurant.

May I ask what you ate?

Michaels is one of our favorites as well. We usually arrive early enough so we can order off the lightside menu. I love their Kobe meatloaf and the French onion soup.

My favorite restaurant.

May I ask what you ate?

Of course, I was alone so sat at the bar, which was crowded. Had a Martini first! Then ordered off the light menu. I was talking to the couple next to me so had what they had and said was good. They were right. App of asperagas grilled with a bit of prosciutto wrapped around it accompanied by a bit of a type of salsa. Then had the Yellowtail snapper served "menieure", ligtly fried. Both were fantastic!!!

Love that place. I was watching a couple at the bar that ordered the fondue. You have to order it for two and even then I don't think they finished it. Can't wait to go back with my wife so we can order that!

Archived