Home Lines employees/memories?

Otti was from Austria. The other one from Austria, I believe, was Annaliese Gruber. She was hired when Luisa Crespi left. There was also Rossana Zema and Liliana Santamaria. Some more trivia. Who on the ship was Liliana Santamaria's sister? Answer is coming tomorrow!

So happy I found this thread. My heart belongs to the Home Lines. I sailed all the ships many times, my first was with the Oceanic -- met the chief pastry chef, his name was Mario -- I actually dated him for 10 years. Every Saturday morning, when the ship would get into NY Harbor, he would call and I would hop into my car and straight to the docks. Sometimes he made me lunch, other times we would go out. We almost got married, but I did not want to live in Italy, and he would not live in the USA. If anyone out there remembers him, please post it here.

I also sailed many times on the Homeric, and also the Doric. I still have never found a ship I like better than the Home Lines.

"Fond Memories, Home Lines got me addicted to cruising, wonderful staff, So happy to find this thread" - what a legacy for a cruise line that 46 years later (and some memories older than mine) is held in such high regard by the passengers. The passengers remember the crew's names!

Before I started reading this thread tonite I thought I was the only sentimental fool carrying around fond memories of a long forgotten, minor, cruise line. Now I know, it is gone but far from forgotten.

Yes, it was an especially personal experience to cruise with staff like that and I'll come back to this thread to read all the entries, when it isn't so late. I was just 15 & the ship was only 1/2 full as the Berlin wall was just going up & a lot of pax canceled. Mid August 1961, Montreal to Le Havre - a once in a life time experience. My first trans Atlantic since then is this spring. I waited this long as I had to let that early cruise fade from the memory or else this one would pale in comparison. Here's hoping it will just be another one of life's wonderful experiences, (I must not expect so much of the crew) today's world has changed, not all for the worse, but it has changed.

OK Stevedan - who are you?! You remember everyone! Did you ever work on the ships? Lilliana sister used to work in the shops. Can't remember her name either but she had the little shop up by the midnight buffet also.

And Robert let's put that out there "What ever happened to Stanley Kayne?" I always liked Joan his wife. I know they used to live in New Jersey. They're probably in Florida by now - isn't that the law of the North - You reach a certain age - you have to move to Florida.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Don't forget to work on your assignment - Where's Stanley?

Singleworld: Correct, her sister, Ruth, worked in the gift shop. I don't know what became of Stanley Kayne, but we kept up with another CD, Everett E. Everett, for many years. We still speak with his daughter periodically.

What's your vote for the best band? For me, it is Donzelli without a doubt.

Stevedan - Everette was the best - real class act. My parents were good friends with him and his wife Lillian. She was a lovely lady. My dad had an office in Boston and they would spend time up there with them. I'll have to ask my mom if she knew their daughter - I'm sure she did. Best band - that's a tough one. Romy Formica - they were good friends but Donzelli were good too. Do you remember Zeili - that's when I was really young. There was a woman in the band. I'm not sure of the spelling either.

NYCgal - I'm sorry - didn't mean to ignore you. 1965 was the maiden year of the Oceanic and my first cruise year. My family would go on in February (the 14 - 16 day) and then the 7 day in the summer each year. Finally in 1980 I got a job on the ship. I might remember Mario if I saw a picture of him.

And the question is still out there "Where's Stanley?"

I would have to look for a picture of Mario -- he looked like the singer, Sergio Franchi - he was very handsome. I do have many pictures, will look and try to scan them, that is if I can find them.

I know 1965 was the maiden year for the Oceanic.

We used to go from our home in NJ to visit Everett and Lil in Bostion (actually Revere Beach). Their daughter is Francine. We used to go every X-Mas, and Francine would join her father for the cruise.

Yes, I remember Zieli. They left Home Lines in 1973 and went to Holland America. Sergio Pellizaro of that band, though, came back with his own band to Home Lines. Formica was very good too (remember Na Na Na Na?), but I still liked Donzelli the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Been busy with Thanksgiving and all. Did you know anyone else in Boston - there was a whole group that used to cruise together with my parents. They all met through Everette. A lot of them go on Celebrity now. My dad passed but my mom meets up with them every so often.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am collecting stories about Home Lines and what it was like aboard the ships for a writing project about this firm.

I first sailed with Home Lines about the first Homeric and then sailed with all of their ships until they went out of business. It was a great cruise line that did so much for the industry and left so many people with happy memories.

Keep your stories coming or contact me private to tell more.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
Hi Fabrizio...my name is Margie and I was a very close friend to a sailor by the name of Michele Minutillo from Molfetta, Bari. We have remained friends over the years, I just spoke to him 2 weeks ago. I am also in touch with

Antonio Marullo (crew waiter) who is married to one of my very good friends and lives in Conneticut.

Hi Marge - I just discovered this thread on Home Lines and was reading along and really laughed when you mentioned my old pal Michele Minutillo! Are you still in touch with him? If so tell him hi from Pat in Boston and I hope he's well.

Hi Pat, glad you responded. Yes I still keep in touch with Michele and his family, I often see his nephew who lives upstate New York. When did you know him, anything I should tell him to spark a memory (lol)

Marge

Yes, please tell him it's the Pat who brought the lobsters to Bermuda from Boston and was all worried that they would die in the refrigerator before anyone could eat them! I met him on my first cruise, which was on the Oceanic in 1985. We became pretty good friends and corresponded back and forth for a while then I lost touch. He was such a funny little guy, but so nice. I really liked him very much. I would love to write to him and send him some pictures of me, much older, and my grandkids, who were just a twinkle in God's eye when I knew him. Please email me if you have his address: catmousam2 @aol.com. Thanks!

(p.s. the lobsters didn't die and we shared them with another crewmember and his girl, who I think was British and worked on the Atlantic, maybe in a shop or something. The crewmember made gnocchi and pesto to go with the lobster. You never left an Italian ship hungry:) What good memories I have of those days Marge.)

Ok--I know it was Home Lines, but am not sure of the ship. It was the mid 80's and the ship was new. Am thinking Atlantic, but I could be wrong.

A bunch of us were having cocktails at a balcony bar on Front Street in Hamilton looking out at the beautiful ship at port. Having a Mom who is Bermudian and a brother who was a policeman there, we were used to getting into clubs, etc. that most tourists don't get to. My sister-in-law jokingly said, "C'mon, don't you know someone who can get us on that boat?" Now this was before majorly heightened security and photo id cards, etc, but it was long after the days you could board a liner in port and have a cocktail.

The weekly ceremony of "Beating the Retreat" by the Bermuda Regiment was underway and there were large crowds watching. I thought for a moment and said, "if you really want to get on that ship, I think I know a way"

I suggested we just blend in with the crowd returning to the ship after the ceremony was over. We were all game for it. I said what is the worst that could happen? They stop us and we play dumb and leave.

I led the charge, and as I stepped onto the ship from the gangway, I warmly greeted every crew member I saw and made a beeline for the stairs as though I knew where I was going!! My group of 5 followed!

We went to shows, a bar, and even midnight buffet!! We laughed for hours over this adventure!! At the bar, my brother-in-law found out cigarettes were like .50 cents a pack and started buying them. He was also munching on the goldfish, I said please stop doing that, he said why? I said if you were really sailing on this ship you'd be eating so much you wouldn't be able to look at those goldfish and you wouldnt be buying several packs of cigarettes at once!! The drinks were really cheap and we had a blast!!

Thanks for bringing back a memory of a very fun time!!!

Tricia, that's a great story. I guess it's true that if you just act like you belong, you can get in anywhere. But you're right about it being a different world then. I haven't cruised since 1995 (Celebrity to Western Carribean), but even then things had tightened up a lot and these days I'm sure it's impossible to get aboard a ship when it's docked if you're not a passenger. But Home Lines ships were pretty freewheeling anyway; I think that's why they were so much fun! By the way, I remember some happy hours sitting on that balcony bar across from the ships in Bermuda.

Pat

• 3 weeks later...

sstravler - it really is hard to understand if you were not there during that time. Many of us grew into the women that we are due to some of the relationships/friendships that blossomed during that time. There never will be another Home Lines and it is sad, I would have loved to have the opportunity to share those ships with my husband and children.

Marge

sstravler - it really is hard to understand if you were not there during that time. Many of us grew into the women that we are due to some of the relationships/friendships that blossomed during that time. There never will be another Home Lines and it is sad, I would have loved to have the opportunity to share those ships with my husband and children.

Marge

Honestly, this is one of those cases if you ever sailed Home Lines, you know exactly what each person is talking about and remembering. If you never sailed Home Lines you have suffered a glaring loss and can't have a clue what all the fuss was, and is, about.

I absolutely agree w/Marge106 and tell anyone and everyone who listens that I grew up on Home Lines, as so many of us did. We are amazing and confident women, almost completely due to our experiences and relationships aboard the Doric, the Oceanic, the Atlantic and the Homeric.

I would be leading a totally different life if I hadn't sailed from that cold and rainy Passenger Ship Terminal in October '75. Of that I'm sure.

I'm also sure I wouldn't have had it any other way.

i agree with marge and cruisin since 75 i to am a home lines girl and will always be those times made me what i am today a strong independent confidant women who is understanding loving and enjoying the life i have what ever comes my way i have had many wonderful memories of the times i had and cherish them dearly. i had a romance for 15 years with a man aboard and would never change a drop of it i learned so much about life and enjoying what you have and am forever grateful for him being in my life i remeber marge from back then we would pass each other on saturdays in New York as bob hope you to say THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES home lines is my heart and now cruising with holland america its wonderful also differnet but wonderful hoem lines wish you were back........

Okay Kruise53 now you have me wondering as I am sure is my dear friend Cruizin. Details please, the who, what and when. I've been trying to track down a Teresa R. from Brooklyn for years but no one seems to know what happened to her. Wouldn't you jus tlove to have a "reunion" of all of us, that special group. Too bad Gracie from the ladies room is not around any more. The last time I sailed from NY I actually saw a long shoreman who recognized me. I had to laugh because he was hesitant to say anything because I was with my husband and family but he just kept looking. I finally went over to say hello. Its just another thing that made those Saturdays so special, not only were we friendly with the bathroom attendant but also with the long shoreman and anyone else who worked over there. "those were the days my friend".

Marge

by the way....I still keep in touch with Michael

no i am not from brooklyn or named theresa i was with pino a deck steaward for all those years and i remeber gracie holding your luggage as well as mine for cruises and the name escapes me now but the longshoremen who would personally take the luggage aboard i also remeber gracie saying margie is in debbie did you see her yet and the made rush off the ship when not cruising as the gangway was pulled away . how i miss all theose saturdays and especially seeing pino every week oh well

Okay Kruise53 now you have me wondering as I am sure is my dear friend Cruizin. Details please, the who, what and when. I've been trying to track down a Teresa R. from Brooklyn for years but no one seems to know what happened to her. Wouldn't you jus tlove to have a "reunion" of all of us, that special group.

"those were the days my friend".

Marge

Ahem! A reunion of "that special group" would definitely be a media event! Some of us still have a few things to straighten out w/each other, don' you agree Ms. Marge? We could sell tickets!

It would be a delight to see all the guys and gals we'd run into every Saturday early morning, standing around the pier, drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes, pacing, pacing, upstairs, downstairs, inside, outside; an active, full day, without a doubt. If only we'd had cell phones then...

Seriously kiddo, lets plan something now that we have an opportunity and a vehicle - these Boards - to make it actually a possibility. We could bring back "those days, my friend" and perhaps make another unforgetable Home Lines memory. ;)