Home Lines employees/memories?

My sister and mother cruised with Home Lines but it was the first cruise on the Sea Venture to Bermuda that got me addicted to cruising and then the Doric just made me hungry for more. I really enjoyed the smaller, friendlier ships and not these huge megaliners of today. I was going through boxes the other day and found an 8 track my sister bought of the Easy Sounds, a band, on Home Lines. I remember I could only listen to it if I went for a ride in my sister's car and now it just seems so obsolete. We loved to listen to them do all the old Italian songs like Ciao, Ciao, Bambino, Volare and La Paloma Blanca. I too remember a waiter named Vincenzo who had a twin brother who worked on the same ship. My favorite captain was Marossa and I remember he yelled at me once because we had kids try to stow away by crawling up the anchor line and he didn't know what to do with them. He hinted I should have caught them because he knew I worked security at a college at the time. He cleaned them up and fed them and turned them over to authorities at the next port. I too liked all the attention of the Italian staff but never fell for any of their lines. I would dance at the 40 Thieves or another disco on a side street after the birdcage but I don't remember the name.

Hi All, Hi Nonnie58, how are you? I'm glad you want to come if, or shall I say WHEN, we get a reunion together. Of course, bring your other Home Lines girls, the more the merrier, more fun stories to share, not to mention pictures :). Would it be too difficult for you to come down to NYC as a location?

Princessgal, Hi.. I wonder if the Vincenzo you're talking about is one of the Vincenzo's Nonnie58 and I were thinking of. You were smart not to fall for their lines, but you must be pretty strong too, their charm was so...so...so, well overwhelming, shall I say :rolleyes:. That's some story about Capt Marossa. Was that on the Doric? Did you sail on any other Home Lines ships? I feel the same as you do about sailing on those smaller ships. I'm trying to think of the other Disco, passed the bird cage. I remember going to a place called Robin Hood, I think that was more like a pub, and then I think there was another disco, Venezia, maybe, I'm not sure :confused:. Whatever. Till this day Bermuda remains my most favorite island. It has changed somewhat since my first cruise there, but I still love it! We are trying to get a Home Lines girls get together after the holidays. Would you like to join us?

Hi Marge106, ArubaGal, Hope all is well with you gals and hope you still want to get together after the holidays :).

Ciao,

Sue

The Atlantic is now the MSC Melody

Oceanic is the Oceanic for Pullmantur

The SS Doric sunk en route to the breakers

The Homeric is now Costa Europa

I have always loved Home Lines even though I never ever sailed with them (they where defunct 6 years before I came along) but I fell in love with the Oceanic when I first saw her picture.... And then my first ship visit was on the Westerdam (Homeric). So I wish they where still here!

I was on the Homeric's last cruise, yes I was on board when it caught on fire in the kitchen galley. We just off the coast of Maryland when that happened. I sure missed the old gal and the many times I've been on it, Remember Mario Amatucci and his band? Then I did the Oceanic and the Doric. After that I went to Sitmar. It was almost as great as the fabulous home lines. Nothing like the good old days.

The other nightclub you are thinking of was over an Italian restaurant...perhaps the name was Little Venice???????? Was the bar called the Club??????????? Wow, what trains of thought we come up with...walking down memory lane for sure. Yes, bar across street from pier was the Olympic. I remember Spinelli's girlfriend...was it Adrianna(Adrienne)...wasn't she a bartender at the Olympic? I remember several of the waiters, but my friend was originally a cabin boy, then promoted to a cabin steward, so I knew more of those guys. Anyone remember being on the Oceanic during the dock stike?? We had to leave Nassau early. Our cabin was O123, last cabin next to the crew cabins door. Our room was nicknamed Disco 123, and we had some fun parties every night. We had parked our car at the Oil Market Garage in NYCfor the week, and driving home after the cruise, we had to pull over on the Merritt Pkwy to catch a nap...we were so exhausted from such a great cruse. Now, my cruises are much more sedate and relaxing. How times changes things!

When I did my original post, I meant the original Homeric that was formerly the Mariposa from the Matson LInes. Yes, I can remember dancing in the night owl club while crossing cape hateras and trying to dance but had to do it the ship's way. I sailed on the Oceanic 3 times and the Doric once. There will never be another line them. Does anyone know what happened to Claudio Germani, Tullo and Elmo the pursers. After the home lines went bye bye I ended up doing Sitmar Cruises, the Dawn Princess to Alaska and Panama Canal. Did try HAL Noordam did not like it compared to the other lines. I was spoiled! I am going to contact the home lines reunion group and see if I can go to one of the reunions. I live in Massachusetts not far from Everett Everett's Family,

:)

ArubaGal, That's it!! Little Venice, that's the one I was thinking of, and I think the bar was The Club...My goodness...like you said, walking down memory lane :). I laughed when I read you called your cabin "club 123" and it being next to the crew cabin doors. I could just imagine....;). It's is so true that those cruises were exhausting. We had to take a nap everyday before getting ready for second seating dinner! We would be up at about 8:00 every morning, Heaven forbid we should miss breakfast..LOL, were all over the place all day, dancing into the wee hours of the night, probably went to bed at about 4:30-5AM, slept for a few hours and started all over again. On our first trip to Bermuda, we took a taxi tour of the island, and were struggling to stay awake, one of my friends actually fell asleep and was snoring in the taxi. We thought we would just about die when the driver took us to Crystal Caves and we saw all the steps we had to climb :eek:. That affectionately became known as the "sleepy taxi tour". These days I get exhausted just thinking about it..LOL. Now my cruises too, are much more sedate and completely relaxing. I'm usually back in my cabin by midnight these days.

mickie'smom, if you hapen to get any info re: a Home Lines reunion would you let us know the details, would really appreciate it. You're right we definitely were "spoiled" by our Home Lines cruises, lucky us!

• 1 month later...

Suesea

My friends and I are very interested in a Home Lines Cruise reunion. I have called the restaurant in White Plains so many times but have not heard back from them.

Maybe if we all call.

CruiseShipLove

Hi All, Hi Nonnie58, how are you? I'm glad you want to come if, or shall I say WHEN, we get a reunion together. Of course, bring your other Home Lines girls, the more the merrier, more fun stories to share, not to mention pictures :). Would it be too difficult for you to come down to NYC as a location?

Princessgal, Hi.. I wonder if the Vincenzo you're talking about is one of the Vincenzo's Nonnie58 and I were thinking of. You were smart not to fall for their lines, but you must be pretty strong too, their charm was so...so...so, well overwhelming, shall I say :rolleyes:. That's some story about Capt Marossa. Was that on the Doric? Did you sail on any other Home Lines ships? I feel the same as you do about sailing on those smaller ships. I'm trying to think of the other Disco, passed the bird cage. I remember going to a place called Robin Hood, I think that was more like a pub, and then I think there was another disco, Venezia, maybe, I'm not sure :confused:. Whatever. Till this day Bermuda remains my most favorite island. It has changed somewhat since my first cruise there, but I still love it! We are trying to get a Home Lines girls get together after the holidays. Would you like to join us?

Hi Marge106, ArubaGal, Hope all is well with you gals and hope you still want to get together after the holidays :).

Ciao,

Sue

Suesea,

My friends and I have been trying to get this reunion off the ground for so long. It's my understanding that it will take place in White Plains and we have called the restaurant so many times but they have not called us back yet.

Please keep us posted; we sailed on Home Lines in the late 70's and there has never been another cruise line like it.

CRUISESHIPLOVE

Hi Cruiseshiplove, I don't have any info re: any other Home Lines reunion and didn't know that there was supposed to be one taking place in White Plains. A few people on this thread and I had talked about forming our own get-together but it appears interest in that has peetered out as I don't see any further discussion about it. If there is any new interest in doing this I'm still game and you and your friends would be welcome. Where in White Plains is the reunion you know about supposed to take place? I would also try to call.

It never ceases to amaze me that we all feel the same about no other cruise line being able to replace the Home Lines...:rolleyes:

Edited by SueseaQ

Hello Home LInes Passengers

I sailed many times on all Home LInes ships.

My father was Everett E. Everett and was the

Cruise Director for 20 years for that line. Oh the

stories I could tell. It was the best of the best.

My family still cruises and still loves it but there

are none as good as the old days of the Oceanic

Homeric and Doric.

I was a young teen in 1975 and there was a band with a very outgoing lead singer named Gabriele. Each night he led the entire lounge in the "Hands Dance" (Balli con le mani...) People would stand and sway but most of the movements were done with hands and arms. This was their signature piece.

Is this triggering anyone's memories! I enjoyed the Oceanic, but must admit that I prefered Italian line such as DaVinci, Raffaelo, and Michelangelo more. As I recall there was a bit of a rivalry among Home Lines and Italian Lines! But I can assure you I would RUN to the dock of any of these ships nowadays. They do not come like this anymore. Sure, there is Crystal, etc. but an ordinary person could travel on Home Lines, etc. and receive white glove service!

HI EVERYONE I WAS SO EXCITED TO READ ALL OF THESE THREADS ON HOME LINES HOME LINES ALSO INTRODUCED ME TO CRUISING AND IT BECAME PART OF MY LIFE MY FIRST CRUISE WAS ON THE DORICE, THEN THE ATLANTIC AND THEN THE HOMERIC I SAILED ON THE HOMERIC ON HER LAST VOYAGE AND WE RECEIVED A PLATE THANKING US FOR OUR LOYALTY TO THE LINE LOVED THE FOUR NIGHT STAY IN BERMUDA AND GOING OUT TO ALL THE CLUBS WITH THE CREW. ONE CREW MEMBER THAT I MET WOULD CALL ME ONCE A WEEK FROM BERMUDA WHEN I RETURNED HOME I WAS SO STAR STUCKED. THERE ARE SO MANY WONDERFUL MEMORIES AND GOOD TIMES THAT I CAN TELL HOME LINES IS MY FIRST LOVE TO CRUISING SO HAPPY NOW THAT I HAVE FOUND PRINCESS. :o

HI PRINCESSGAL THIS IS CRUSINSUE HOW WELL DO I REMENBER EASY SOUND I STILL HAVE THE CASSETTE THAT I BOUGHT ON THE DORIC OF EASY SOUND AND EVERY NOW AND THEN I WILL PLAY AND IT STILL BRINGS TEARS TO MY EYES ESPECIALLY WHEN I HEAR THAT BERMUDA IS ANOTHER WORLD. SO NICE TO CHAT WITH YOU:o

:o HI EVERYONE THIS IS CRUSINSUE IM AT WORK RIGHT NOW WITH A FEW SECONDS TO SPARE ENJOYING ALL THE WONDERFUL MEMORIES OF FORMER HOME LINE PASSENGERS. DOES ANYONE REMENBER GUISEPPE STAGI CABIN STEWARD HE WAS MY STEWARD THREE TIMES ON THE ATLANTIC WHAT A GREAT TIME WE HAD WE WENT DANCING AT LITTLE VEINCE THE CLUB HAD AFTER PARTIES IN OUR CABIN WITH SOME OF THE CREW HE WOULD ALWAYS CALL ME FROM BERMUDA WHEN I RETURNED HOME I WOULD CRY FOR A LEAST A MONTH ALSO THERE WAS A WAITER BY THE NAME OF VINNIE MUSUMICCI GREAT GUY WITH A GREAT PERSONALITY WE ALSO HAD A WAITER BY THE NAME OF FLAVIO DONT KNOW HIS LAST NAME HE WAS OUR WAITER ON THE ATLANTIC AND THE HOMERIC HAVENT SEEN HIM SINCE THEN THREE YEARS AGO I WENT ON THE CANADA AND NEW ENGLAND CRUISE ON THE GRAND PRINCESS WITH MY COUSINS AND MY FRIEND THERESA AND BEHOLD IN THE DINING WAS FLAVIO I COULD NOT GET HIS NAME OUT FAST ENOUGH AFTER WE TALKED FOR AWHILE HE REMENBER ME AND MY GIRLSFRIENDS WHO I TRAVELED WITH BACK IN THE DAY. I HAVE CRUISED FOUR MORE TIME WITH PRINCESS SINCE SEEING HIM ON THE GRAND I CRUISED THE GOLDEN PRINCESS CROWN PRINCESS AND THE CARIBBEAN PRINCESS AND HAVENT SEEN HIM SINCE. I BOOKED FOR THE AUGUST 13,09 CARIBBEAN PRINCESS CRUISE OUT OF NY MAYBE I MIGHT BE LUCKY TO SEE FLAVIO AGAIN. THANKS TO ALL FOR SHARING YOUR MEMORIES I CAN RELATE MUCH TO ALL OF YOU.

Hi Marge106 my Italian Romeo was my cabin steward for three years in a row. I have a pictures of me and him in Bermuda just outside of the ship we were all dressed up on our way to the Club Little Veince he looked like he had just stepped out of a GQ magazine. I cruise Princess now which I love but Home lines will always be my heart

I was never able to sail on Home Lines, but as a child toured the Doric and Atlantic when they were in Bermuda. We used to stay every year at a hotel directly across from Hamilton, and oh how I fell in love with the Home Lines ships.

Here is a picture I took of the Atlantic sailing into Hamilton in 1985

Atlantic5.jpg

Here is Oceanic in the Great Sound of Bermuda also in 1985

Oceanic3.jpg

Hi Crusinsue, Isn't this agreat thread for sharing Home Lines memories? Those really were the good old days. You mentioned a waiter named Vinnie. What did he look like? I wonder if it's the same "Vincenzo" that I met on my 1982 Atlantic cruise. I see you live in Pa, but did you ever come to NY on a Saturday when the ships were in dock to see your honey. There were many of us there back then, LOL :o. As I'm sure I have mentioned before on this thread, my girlfriends and I went into a depression after we got back from our cruise, especially the first one because we never had such an experience as that in our lives up till then and we too shed quite a few tears wishing we were "back on the cruise", "back in our cabin O-60", "back in Bermuda", "back at Horshoe Bay", back at Disco 40" and on and on...

I remember getting my "Wednesday call from Bermuda" too, back in the day. I think if everyone here complied their Home Lines stories we would have a smash hit that would make The Love Boat pale in comparison.:rolleyes:.