Home Lines employees/memories?

Gracie was so cute wasn't she. She would sometimes hold notes for me or give me messages. I remember one Saturday when family obligations kept me from going to the ship and she found Michael talking to me on the phone and insisted she also speak to me. I bet she must have had some stories to tell lol. Kruise, I centainly remember Pino the deck steward. Where did you come from. Cruizin75, I wish I could remember what stories do need to be sorted out but I'm wondering if they involve Newport News. Or could it be Costa when we went with Vito to the "shoe" store. What a hoot. Its funny, I've spoken to several people here who knew Michael. I would like to get us all together for a group shot lol. Seems he's been having some selective memory loss these days. Still home in Italy so hopefully he'll be coming back soon although he thinks now that he's reached 60 it may be time to retire.

Can you believe it, where have all the years gone. We all saw so much and we all learned so much and its true Home Lines did make us the women we all became. We've all developed life time friends over the years, its just too bad that so many miles separate us all. How I wish for just one more cruise, with all the crew and all the girls and Cruizin with your friend singing the theme from Cats. I still can't listen to that song without it bringing a tear to my eye but it so invokes such fond memories of you and all of us hanging together. By the way I've told the "shower" story do many times I can't remember. You really did have the greatest stories.

Catch you all later....

yes marge sign me up for the reunion when ever it is there is one held every year in New jersey but i have not attended since the first one long ago and cant even remember the name of the resturant what a hoot that was pino was the love of my life and still today bur as far as seeing him it hasnt been in years he would be around his late 60"s early 70"s if i remember we had many enjoyable weekends in the city and during the weeks while he cruised i always heard from him from every port this was before cell phones and texting i can only imagineif it were now, i ws from upstate NY 1.5 hrs north but i was there every weekend rain shine snow whatever. anf the longshoreman name was blackie who would take our luggage and deleiver it to the cabin gracie and ann were the bathroom attendents and the stories they would tell one time gracie had her husband pick me up to take me to the bus terminal because i was leaving the ship as the gangway was being pulled up and my bus would be leaving in 15 minutes what excitement it was nice running into you on these boards to bad home lines is not around these days but its a differnet time so it would not be like then gotta run thanks for helping me remember some stories now they are all coming back hope to hear from you again let me know about a reunion i leave in 3 weeks on holland american for another cruise they are the line i travel only these days kind of like home lines but more sedate

Kruise53, now I have to ask. Since you are from upstate did you know Lola and Kathy?? I'm glad you found a line that you like, but we all know it can never be Home Lines (lol). Based on your name, I'm assuming we're all the same age. You are right, imagine if we had cell phones, texting and computers then. Hubby and I sail most of the times on Princess although we are trying RCCL in November. Hopefully, I'll be heading onto Carnival next year in an effort to surprise some friends on the Magic from NY. July 3rd is looking really good for that trip (hope someone is getting the hint, hint lol).

I've been to a few of the reunions in NJ, as a matter of fact there is someone on these boards BrooklynGirl, who is married to a former waiter and she has a lot of info regarding the Jersey reunions. Hey BG are you out there ???

Catch you all soon,

Marge (marge106@aol.com)

I was there too but I was not there for the same reasons as you and was not blossoming .... I was a young man who enjoyed ships!

My first Home Liens cruise was aboard the first Homeric to Freeport (where we could not get in) and Nassau. From there we were aboard the Oceanic every winter for many years (often on the Christmas/New Years cruise). My mother made her first airplane flight to follow the Oceanic to Florida and take a winter cruise aboard the ship after they pulled her out of New York. From there we did the maiden voyages of both the new Atlantic and Homeric as well as a few more farewell trips before it ended.

Like you I miss Home Lines ... but for different reasons. The crew, the food, the service, the ships were all wonderful. Keep the stories coming and keep the memory alive!

Thanks

Ahhh.......Pino.........He was my deck steward on my very first cruise. He brought me lemon to squeeze on my blonde hair to make it blonder. Told me when to turn over if I was getting too much sun. I remember him well. I think we spent $3 for the week to reserve the deck chair......well worth it!

ah, yes. I loved that Italian crew, boy did they know how to treat you like royalty. I was on the Doric in 76, and I still remember our waiter. Homero. Then in 77 on the Oceanic, and our waiter was Alfonso-we kept in touch for a few months afterwards. Then in 85 went on the Oceanic as a family cruise.Those were the days. Great, fantastic memories. I remember the band on the Doric, the Rolando, we even had a record, yes a record of theirs for years. Played it so much it wore out. It would be awesome to relive those days

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sure, I remember Eddie Dawson although I was a kid at the time. Heard he had vision problems so had to retire. He was replaced with Everett E. Everett, who was one of the funniest, warmest people you will ever come across. I made about 20 cruises with EEE, and every time he did the routine with the singer and the broken record player it was funnier than the last time. Also remember what everyone said at his port talks when he mentioned Christopher Columbus? Answer, Aaaaamen.

He kept in touch with him for many years, and visited him in his home in MA during his final illness. We kept in touch with his family and with Luciana Trevisan (hostess) for many years.

Only people who experienced the Oceanic in her heyday can realize that the ship truly had a "soul", unlike the current ships that are hard to differentiate from each other.

Hi all,

Does any one know how to try to find a crew member who worked on the

Oceanic. This person worked approx. from 1967 to 1984.

Are there any resource links or sites that may list past employees.

Thanks much

Hi Pat, glad you responded. Yes I still keep in touch with Michele and his family, I often see his nephew who lives upstate New York. When did you know him, anything I should tell him to spark a memory (lol)

Marge

Hi Marge,

Was the Michele you know a waiter on the Oceanic in the early 80's? My husband and I kept in touch with our waiter named Michele for quite a while and used to visit him when he was in port in NY. We have often talked about our first cruise and wondered about his whereabouts. Would appreciate any info!

Thanks,

cruisin'since75 said it best, we are the woman that we are today, thanks to those lovely home lines cruises, i cruised in 79 and 80, the experience for me lasted a lifetime. does anyone remember a waiter named vincenzo?

Would anyone be interested in attending a Homes Lines Reunion in NY?

My friends and I who sailed Home Lines back in the late 70s, early 80s, and yes we were those girls that would be at the pier every Saturday morning, are trying to get this reunion off the ground again.

We have spoken to Jimmy at Mulinos Restaurant in White Plains, NY who said that he will do the reunion again if there is enough interest. The reunion would be in Manhattan.

I think the more people that call him the better.

Would anyone be interested in attending a Homes Lines Reunion in NY?

My friends and I who sailed Home Lines back in the late 70s, early 80s, and yes we were those girls that would be at the pier every Saturday morning, are trying to get this reunion off the ground again.

We have spoken to Jimmy at Mulinos Restaurant in White Plains, NY who said that he will do the reunion again if there is enough interest. The reunion would be in Manhattan.

I think the more people that call him the better.

Yes, my sister and I would be interested in attending a reunion in NY.

We sailed on the Oceanic 2 times back in 1984 and 1985. We used to go down to the pier every Saturday morning also during the cruising season.

Please let us know who to get in touch with that we are interested in attending.

Nancy and Linda

Hi Cruising Sisters,

Here is the info:

Jimmy at Mulinos Restaurant 914-761-1818. I've already spoken to him and so have a bunch of my friends.

It looks like you are from Queens? Is that right? We also were from Queens and used to cab it down there every Saturday morning.

How we cried when the ship pulled out at 4:00 but used to wish away the week until we were back down there again.

Hope to hear from you.

Ciao.

Hi Cruising Sisters,

Here is the info:

Jimmy at Mulinos Restaurant 914-761-1818. I've already spoken to him and so have a bunch of my friends.

It looks like you are from Queens? Is that right? We also were from Queens and used to cab it down there every Saturday morning.

How we cried when the ship pulled out at 4:00 but used to wish away the week until we were back down there again.

Hope to hear from you.

Ciao.

Thank you for the info, we will call Jimmy. Yes, we are from Queens, Whitestone. Where in Queens were you from? I always drove down and parked up top. Those were the good old days and we sure miss it and the way that Home Lines was. Hope we all get to meet soon.

Nancy and Linda

Cruising Sisters HAve you always been from Whitestone. There were twin sisters that came to the pier on Saturdays, Denise and Donna. Are you the same

Margie

Hi Margie,

We have always lived in Whitestone. Linda and I are not twins, we are 8 1/2 years apart. That is so funny about the others from Whitestone, but I never met them. What part of Queens are you from?

Nancy

Hello all,

A reunion sounds like a fabulous idea! Would love to get together with passengers and crew from so long ago and share wonderful memories!!!

My husband and I have often reminisced about our first cruise onboard the Oceanic. We became good friends with our waiter, Michele, and used to visit him when he was in port in NY and talk to him when he was in Bermuda. We have often wondered about his whereabouts today. Does anyone have any info? It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Cindy

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all,

A reunion sounds like a fabulous idea! Would love to get together with passengers and crew from so long ago and share wonderful memories!!!

Okay, I'm in for this reunion in NYC. I'll give a call to "Jimmy" and offer to help him plan the event. I've worked in the "special events" field for over 10 years @Yale University, so I think maybe Jimmy won't mind so much my offer to help out.

I'll get to him as soon as I come back from my next cruise - in early October - so then I'll be able to concentrate on this momentous event!!

Ciao, my Board friends, let's liven up this party with some great old stories and happy memories.

Marge106, how the hell are you? Still time to join us ya know. Next year, '09, we've GOT to get together on a ship.

JD:cool:

Hi Cruisin.. hope this weather clears up for your cruise. 09 sounds good to me, maybe we can do Costa, you know I have that special friend on board (lol) lets think about 2010 - how about Alaska....

I'm definitely in for the reunion...I would really love to see some of the Saturday ladies and see how much our lives have changed. Maybe we'll all find out we have more in common than we know

Catch you soon...

M

cruisin'since75 said it best, we are the woman that we are today, thanks to those lovely home lines cruises, i cruised in 79 and 80, the experience for me lasted a lifetime. does anyone remember a waiter named vincenzo?

Hi Nonnie58, How true, how true. My first cruise was on the Atlantic to Bermuda in 1982 ( I sailed on the Atlantic again in 1983 and on the Homeric in 1987). No other cruises I have been on since could ever match my Home Lines cruises! I did meet a waiter named Vincenzo on my first cruise. He was cute, of course, and as I recall had curly brownish hair. I don't know if it's the same Vincenzo...

My girlfriends and I had such a great time going to Horshoe Bay Beach and Disco 40 with crew members, great memories!!!!

I have to laugh when I read the posts of other girls going to the pier in NYC on Saturday mornings. I did the same to meet "my" waiter LOL.

If a reunion is ever setup, I would love to attend, I think that would be so much fun! (imagine if it could ever be a reunion cruise..!?!!!??)

Lets never let the memories fade.......

Sue

I have an idea...why don't y'all plan a reunion cruise on MV Homeric...Homeric (AKA Westerdam) is not sailing as Costa Europa...it might be nice to have a reunion on a Home Line Ship!

Homeric was my first cruise and my first cruise on Home Lines...I was on the 13th cruise which went R/T NYC - Bermuda with Capt Salvatore Musamicci in command...you know...the captain that grew the basil and tomatos on the bridge in large wooden boxes.:cool:

I see I'm not the only one thinking reunion "cruise". Mark, do you know where and when Costa Europa sails? I've never been on a Costa cruise and had been considering it, wondering if their version of "Italian Style Cruising" would be closer to a Home Lines cruise than the other lines I've sailed on. Have you ever been on a Costa cruise?

I'm going to check it out.

Sue