Surprising my husband with Massage?

CorrieCJ

Hi everyone... we cruise on the Pride in 10 days. Tomorrow is my 15th wedding anniversary and I still have not pinned down what I am getting my husband. I want to get him a spa treatment on board but I am not sure whether to go ahead and make an appointment, or leave it open somehow. I don't see "regular" (Swedish?) massage as something available and I'm not sure he'd like the hot stone massage... plus both of us being bargain hunters, I would feel dumb if I booked something full price and then saw better deals when on board (the spa specials)... Should I just get Funship dollars? Is it too late for that? Is it a silly gesture to give Funship Dollars when we are paying the bill together in the long run? I'd love some advice... PS, have also thought about a Couples massage, but it would be tricky since we are traveling with 4 kids, including a 10-month old and I know babysitting is not always available for the baby.

There will be "deals" for spa services on days that you are in port. The massages are pretty expensive and ours was very painful. We had a 50 minute couples massage. The massage itself was nowhere near 50 minutes. I would say the "whole" thing was 50 minutes including :

filling out paperwork

getting undressed and on the table

massage

getting dressed

HIGH PRESSURE PURCHASE

I'm not even exaggerating when I say after we got dressed they came back in with a post card filled with items they thought we should purchase. The items totaled close to $300.

I've read other threads in the past saying the same thing only sometimes they try to sell you things DURING your massage instead of just after.

The massage price was $270. We can get a traveling masseuse where we live for a 60 minute massage for $100 less and I'm sure it won't be painful. I would check out some of the spas at the ports where you'll be stopping. I've heard great things about "beach massages" and they're pretty cheap.

Does he get lots of massages at home? If he is not used to a massage, I would wait till you are onboard and make sure he wants one. Also if he is a bargain hunter, getting a massage a local spot (not at a resort) at home might be much cheaper plus they do a good job for repeat business. Maybe do a gift for when he gets home and is tired from the trip home.

Hi everyone... we cruise on the Pride in 10 days. Tomorrow is my 15th wedding anniversary and I still have not pinned down what I am getting my husband. I want to get him a spa treatment on board but I am not sure whether to go ahead and make an appointment, or leave it open somehow. I don't see "regular" (Swedish?) massage as something available and I'm not sure he'd like the hot stone massage... plus both of us being bargain hunters, I would feel dumb if I booked something full price and then saw better deals when on board (the spa specials)... Should I just get Funship dollars? Is it too late for that? Is it a silly gesture to give Funship Dollars when we are paying the bill together in the long run? I'd love some advice... PS, have also thought about a Couples massage, but it would be tricky since we are traveling with 4 kids, including a 10-month old and I know babysitting is not always available for the baby.

I agree with "happy cruzer". If he hasn't had one before.....make sure it is something he will do. Many people just can't stand massages. We had a couples massage on the Ecstasy and it was great. And no pressure for sales at the end. They did recommend but we just told them we weren't interested. They had a "port day" special. I asked if we booked it for a time before the ship sailed could we still get the special and they said yes. We went on our excursion and made it back to the spa by 2:30 and all was great.

Now on the other hand, I now usually get a massage in port. Most beach areas will have something. At Progresso they are $10 for 40 minutes and very good. But you are out on the beach with everyone walking by. But it was still relaxing.

Whatever you decide I hope you have an awesome cruise!!!

He loves massages and hasn't had one in a long time. I'm the one that doesn't like them!!! :) I like the idea of maybe getting him one when we get home. Once he is back on duty with the kids (he is a stay-home dad) and missing the ocean, he will need one!

My son wanted to get one on our Pride cruise in April.

He is 17 and the cruise policy is 18 yr. for a massage.

I also told him the price on the ship for a massage :eek: (he is paying for it himself)

The cost at Grand Turk is 15 minutes for $20 and it is right on the beach.

He said he is going to try there :D

I am thinking maybe I will just make him my own "certificate" with Carnival logo, telling him I will get him the spa service of his choice, either on board or at home... My other idea was to make us a reservation at David's because I "wouldn't let him" go last time (thought it was ridiculous to pay extra) and he thinks he is missing something by not going... but then I again run into the issue of babysitting, etc. Well my anniversary is today so I better decide, because I can't go home from work empty handed!!!

We don't have small kids and we have some different interests.

I would get my hubby the behind the scenes tour on the ship..... he loves that kind of stuff but it wouldn't be something we could share

Maybe you could do the special dinner - that's what camp carnival is for?

The problem with Camp Carnival is that one of our kids is only 10 months... and I'm still not clear on how the babysitting works - I think it is only available limited hours? Is it hard to get a babysitter, anyone know?

Archived