Cruising out of Orlando...does this make sense?

vetpath09

Hello,

We are taking a cruise out of Orlando/Port Canaveral. Our initial plan is to fly in to Orlando the day before, spend the night in a hotel, and shuttle out to the port that day.

But I just had a thought: We have relatives in Tampa, who still like us:D

Would it make sense to fly to Tampa and rent a car for 1 day/dropping it off at the Port for our cruise, then renting for 1 day to get back to Tampa? We would have 1-2 days after the cruise to visit before flying home.

It certainly makes sense if you want to do the driving and pay the cost of the rentals. The drive from Tampa to Port Canaveral is listed at 2 hours and a bit one way. Remember that you won't be able to drop off your rent car right at the port. Most of the rental companies are on 1A towards Cocoa Beach, which isn't too far, but you'll need to allow time for the drop off and the shuttle or taxi back to the pier.

If it were me, I'd still fly into Orlando, and do the hotel near PC the night before the cruise. I'd hate to think that anything might keep you from getting to the port on boarding day!

Since you have a couple of days on the return side, I'd rent the car at PC then, drive to Tampa, visit, then drive back to Orlando for the flight home. Or you could check flying into Orlando and home from Tampa, but that's probably going to be more expensive.

It certainly makes sense if you want to do the driving and pay the cost of the rentals. The drive from Tampa to Port Canaveral is listed at 2 hours and a bit one way. Remember that you won't be able to drop off your rent car right at the port. Most of the rental companies are on 1A towards Cocoa Beach, which isn't too far, but you'll need to allow time for the drop off and the shuttle or taxi back to the pier.

If it were me, I'd still fly into Orlando, and do the hotel near PC the night before the cruise. I'd hate to think that anything might keep you from getting to the port on boarding day!

Since you have a couple of days on the return side, I'd rent the car at PC then, drive to Tampa, visit, then drive back to Orlando for the flight home. Or you could check flying into Orlando and home from Tampa, but that's probably going to be more expensive.

Definitely don't want to miss that boarding day. When planning this in our mind, I definitely thought as you did:Flying to Orlando...cruise...rent car to visit family...fly out.

We are a bit tight on the budget and just reserved the cruise last night. Flights to Tampa are slightly less expensive than to Orlando and we could avoid all hotel charges by staying with family.

My concerns about renting a car were if rental agencies frown on 1 way rentals.

Thanks for your insight.

Archived