Sister freaking out about our upcoming cruise and stop in Cozumel

BusyFLmom

As long as you know the laws in Mexico, you should be fine. Just keep in mind that driving laws in Mexico may be different than what you think they are at home (in fact, they are likely to be different). As a driver, it's your responsibility to know those laws, and you can end up in jail if you break a traffic law and cause an accident. Also, make sure you either take the car insurance or make sure your insurance will cover you in Mexico (my own auto insurance will not cover me outside the US).

We rented a van in Coz and got lost driving around the island when we got back to downtown we ended up at one of the other ports and ended up taking a u-turn, where there was no mention to not make a u-turn. Well we got pulled over by a cop. I was able to talk us out of getting a fine or getting arrested. Will this deter me from going to Coz, heck no. Will I rent again, nope. There's no need to. The cabs are cheap enough.

I just heard there are drug dealers killing each other in Harlem in New York City, so I'm going to cancel my trip to Grandma in Des Moines. Sorry, but at age 63 I've been hearing this about Mexico since we went to Cancun on our honeymoon in 1984. And we lived in the area between Baltimore and DC and I had relatives afraid to go to the historic areas of DC because of crime. I actually worked in an office in Bethesda, a suburb of DC, inside the DC beltway and knew people who worked there, lived in the DC suburbs and had never been downtown. Seriously. Traveled all over the world and never had a problem in a foreign country, aside from two guys who tried but failed to pick my husbands pocket on the train between Rome and Naples.

I just heard there are drug dealers killing each other in Harlem in New York City, so I'm going to cancel my trip to Grandma in Des Moines. Sorry, but at age 63 I've been hearing this about Mexico since we went to Cancun on our honeymoon in 1984. .

:D great post.

I'm not sure if anyone has heard of The Great American Steamboat Co., but

They are in the river cruise business. The Mississippi River, Tennessee River, Ohio etc.

The company HQ is located here in Memphis. CC had an article about it a while back

....anyway, Memphis and St Louis are major ports on the cruises.

Check out the info below.

According to this it is a lot safer for me to be in Coz than at home.

100 on the index would be the national avg.

City Crime Risk Index

1. St. Louis 530

2. Atlanta 484

3. Birmingham Alabama (tie) 380

3. Orlando (tie) 380

5. Detroit 369

6. Memphis 361

7. Miami 346

8. Baltimore 339

9. Kansas City, Missouri 337

10. Minneapolis (tie) 331

10. Cleveland (tie) 331