Sister freaking out about our upcoming cruise and stop in Cozumel

BusyFLmom

My husband and I were in Cozumel in November. Instead of a ship excursion we rented a car and drove around the island. No problems. My question is this...I am returning in May on a Carnival cruise with my daughter (21) and would like to do the same thing, just rent a car and drive around the island. Do you think it is a wise or unwise thing for two women to do alone?? Thanks!

Don't get into an accident.

Tell her she needs to do some reading and comprehension. The warnings clearly say that its not Cozumel which is a island, though you have to be wary everywhere.... even in the U.S.

Taking a warning that there is high crime in NYC would she freak out you were going to Miami?? Thats about the same thing. They clearly said it was not extended to the customary tourist areas. Not even Aculpulco .. which is a bit dangerous.

Agreed, there is crime in NYC, but nowhere near Times Square! You have to go all the way up to Harlem to find a shady neighborhood. You get dropped off the boat into a touristy area in Cozumel. Stay with the crowds and you are fine in any city.

I would tell her that you appreciate her concern, but you're not going to make absurd promises like that.

My husband had to get special permission from someone up his chain of command (he's military) just to go on a ship traveling to Cozumel last month because there's a ban on USAF members traveling to anywhere in Mexico due to the violence. This was such a hassle that we will not be traveling to Mexico again during his military career unless the ban is lifted. With that said, we've always felt as safe as possible in Cozumel. Like any other tourist area, stay vigilant and don't let your guard down. Don't wander anywhere that your gut instinct tells you not to. Enjoy your beautiful day in Cozumel :)

I just spent 2 weeks on a land based vacation in COZ and never felt threatened or unsafe. While our boyfriends went on dive trips my friend and I walked all over downtown. They guys never worried about our safety anymore than they would if we had gone shopping here at home. You just have to be aware of your surrounding. Coz depends heavily on tourism they aren't going to jeopardize that.

I say, "I could sit around and miss out on some AMAZING things because of fear, or I could go and experience them and take that small chance that something might happen." With that said, I wouldnt advise you to go waltzing into Mexico City with a sign that says "tourist looking for drugs," but be smart. Keep your head down and your eyes up. That goes for anywhere you travel, whether it be the next town over, or Hong Kong.

I always register my trip with the embassy, even if Im only in port for a few hours. They will know you are present in the area in the event of an uprising, and they will already have your information to expedite your safe exit. travel.state.gov

Everyone seems to be saying Cozumel is safe, it's a tourist city etc.

I'm going to be the one to disagree.

We felt COMPLETELY safe in the port area. It was very clean and very nice.

However, when we took a taxi into the "city", it was another story. There aren't soldiers standing on corners with guns for no reason :eek:

They are there because there's a problem and they want their presence known. Sure, it may deter some of the crime but it's not a fix all by any means.

Cozumel is like many of the other ports cruise ships stop at. They have their issues but you can avoid being a target to certain crimes by being "street smart" and avoiding being the person that "stands out".

I would HIGHLY recommend you leave ALL jewelry at home and try to fit in with everyone else. I've read numerous threads/websites about people getting robbed in several different ports. If you're walking around with a huge diamond on your finger, you're going to be noticed.

As a woman, I don't bring any jewelry and I avoid "revealing" clothing when we stop in ports. I try to avoid anything low cut etc. because that's extra attention that I don't want to bring to myself.

If you exercise common sense and pay attention to your surroundings you will be fine. I recommend not going off by yourself though. Always walk around, shop etc. with at least another person and try not to walk down alleys and things of that nature. Pretty much the same thing you'd do in the US. :)

However, when we took a taxi into the "city", it was another story. There aren't soldiers standing on corners with guns for no reason :eek:

They are there because there's a problem and they want their presence known. Sure, it may deter some of the crime but it's not a fix all by any means.

Cozumel is like many of the other ports cruise ships stop at. They have their issues but you can avoid being a target to certain crimes by being "street smart" and avoiding being the person that "stands out".

I would HIGHLY recommend you leave ALL jewelry at home and try to fit in with everyone else. I've read numerous threads/websites about people getting robbed in several different ports. If you're walking around with a huge diamond on your finger, you're going to be noticed.

As a woman, I don't bring any jewelry and I avoid "revealing" clothing when we stop in ports. I try to avoid anything low cut etc. because that's extra attention that I don't want to bring to myself.

If you exercise common sense and pay attention to your surroundings you will be fine. I recommend not going off by yourself though. Always walk around, shop etc. with at least another person and try not to walk down alleys and things of that nature. Pretty much the same thing you'd do in the US. :)

Favorite Reply... PERIOD!

Smart and sensible, Use your head and you'll be fine!

-Mus

The government knows that tourist dollars are very important to the national economy, the government will take extra steps to make sure all tourist areas, including Cozumel will remain safe. With that said common sense will prevent almost any problem from occurring. Also it is not very popular but in any foreign land you travel to it never hurts to learn some of the important phrases for your own safety. It will help if you have any problems or issues while their you can at least speak to locals, and knowing certain phrases will allow you to keep an ear to the ground in case something is going to go wrong you will know.

Your sister has every right to be concerned for your safety, especially in Mexico. All you have to do is google 'killings in Mexico' and you will see story upon story of tourists being beaten and killed including in many popular tourist areas. The Canadian Government has issued a warning for citizens to exercise caution if visiting Mexico. We have friends that love Mexico and continue to visit and that is their choice and their option. This is one place that is officially off my bucket. IMO, as far as vacation destinations go, anyone who does not agree that there is an over-abundance of violence and killings in Mexico and therefore a certain degree of risk going there, has not been paying attention to the news!

I see you are from Canada, so maybe you could give me some help.

I recently read about a lot of murders in Vancouver. I have a friend traveling to Halifax soon and wonder if they should reconsider or what special precautions they need to take.

I see you are from Canada, so maybe you could give me some help.

I recently read about a lot of murders in Vancouver. I have a friend traveling to Halifax soon and wonder if they should reconsider or what special precautions they need to take.

Funny!

However, when we took a taxi into the "city", it was another story. There aren't soldiers standing on corners with guns for no reason :eek:.

Pretty much the same thing you'd do in the US. :)

Last trip to Washington DC saw lots of armed military and police. Similar to Cozumel, perhaps worse.

Couldn't agree more with your final line, "Pretty much the same thing you'd do in the US".

I was in Cozumel on January 25, 2012 with my mother and my seven year old twins. We got off the Carnival Legend at Puerta Maya Pier and took a taxi to Paradise Beach. We never felt unsafe on the way there, back, or at Paradise Beach. Nobody harassed us or gave us any problems. Just get off the ship and enjoy Cozumel and all that it has to offer.

As others have said, explain to her that Cozumel is an island and is NOT on the mainland. The only way to get from mainland Mexico to Cozumel is on a 45 minute ferry ride or by air. Cozumel's main source of income is tourism. They are not going to allow anything to put their income in jeopardy. I have visited Cozumel 14 times, have been all over the island, and have NEVER felt unsafe. (I am a 58 yr. old female.) My last time there was 2 months ago.

On our last cruise to Cozumel, I noticed a small Mexican naval vessel following us in, Guns out and showing. That is not to scare the big tourist ships but to thwart any attaack on the ship. Tourists are like gold to this island. When my BF and I took a tour of the island, we were in San Miguel, and we noticed alot of police. Again, this is to take care of the tourists,. Just north of town, there is an army and naval station, just to keep Cozumel safe and sound. I may have felt intimidated a few times, but never in fear.

The laws in Mexico are are different than the United States. Here you are innocent until proven guilty, there you are guilty until proven innocent. Makes you want to behave....:D

On our last cruise to Cozumel, I noticed a small Mexican naval vessel following us in, Guns out and showing. That is not to scare the big tourist ships but to thwart any attaack on the ship. Tourists are like gold to this island. When my BF and I took a tour of the island, we were in San Miguel, and we noticed alot of police. Again, this is to take care of the tourists,. Just north of town, there is an army and naval station, just to keep Cozumel safe and sound. I may have felt intimidated a few times, but never in fear.

We saw something similar to that, but it was the US Coast Guard in Mobile, AL

8.jpg

The laws in Mexico are are different than the United States. Here you are innocent until proven guilty, there you are guilty until proven innocent. Makes you want to behave....:D

I would NEVER drive in Mexico. Do some research first.

You have no control over your sister's fears, and I am sorry she has them, but please don't let this cause you any. if you skip Cozumel, it would be truly sad...it's a wonderful place.

Can you tell us if you have an excursion booked to do while you are there???

No excursions planned. Just Paradise Beach. There are 8 of us....4 adults and 4 kids.

My sister expressed her concerns 9 months ago when we booked. It was just yesterday she brought it up again and begged me to reconsider. I dont think there is any point in trying to reason with her.....her mind is set. We ARE getting off the ship.....I just wont tell her ;)

Thank you everyone for your helpful info and advise :)

No excursions planned. Just Paradise Beach. There are 8 of us....4 adults and 4 kids.

My sister expressed her concerns 9 months ago when we booked. It was just yesterday she brought it up again and begged me to reconsider. I dont think there is any point in trying to reason with her.....her mind is set. We ARE getting off the ship.....I just wont tell her ;)

Thank you everyone for your helpful info and advise :)

It will be great! Have fun!!!

I would plan an excursion through Carnival for that day - they won't take paying customers to a place that is unsafe & the ship will not leave without the tour group. Like said, as long as it's through Carnival. Find a guided tour of the city or a glass-bottom boat or something fun to do to distract her from her perceived dangers of Mexico. Either that, or just get off & go to the restaurants right next to the port and get a drink. When you get off, there are restaurants literally on the dock and you can walk back to the ship if you feel unsafe.

I would NEVER drive in Mexico. Do some research first.

Why? Been there 6 times on dive trips, always rent a jeep and drive to other side and eat a great meal at Coconuts Beach Grill. Way cheaper than anything you can get in town. In fact when I am there for dive trips we wait till the ships leave port and then go into town, prices are always cheaper then. They raise the prices for the cruisers and lower them for the divers.

We are cautious people by nature. We would not visit Mexico accross the USA border for any reason. However, we've been to Cozumel several times and felt very safe. Very friendly people for sure!! Paradise Beach is the BEST!

In Costa Maya, we took an excursion to a Mayan Ruins. Amazing!! Came across a couple of military stops. The Mexican Army had M 50 Machine Guns out pointed at the people stopping. When they saw it was a CCL excursion (our Bus driver stopped) they smiled and waved us on! We honestly (maybe we're too innocent) felt like they were there to protect us!

Use common sense....be watchful...but enjoy!!

Why? Been there 6 times on dive trips, always rent a jeep and drive to other side and eat a great meal at Coconuts Beach Grill. Way cheaper than anything you can get in town. In fact when I am there for dive trips we wait till the ships leave port and then go into town, prices are always cheaper then. They raise the prices for the cruisers and lower them for the divers.

As long as you know the laws in Mexico, you should be fine. Just keep in mind that driving laws in Mexico may be different than what you think they are at home (in fact, they are likely to be different). As a driver, it's your responsibility to know those laws, and you can end up in jail if you break a traffic law and cause an accident. Also, make sure you either take the car insurance or make sure your insurance will cover you in Mexico (my own auto insurance will not cover me outside the US).

Archived