A Monarch review from 1992!!!!

I loved reading this :). I was only 7 when you went on your cruise. I went on my first one on the Destiny in 2009 and it will always have a special place in my heart, too. Having been on 3 ships, there are way more similarities than differences and your photos from 20 years ago even show that!

Thanks for taking the time to scan all of these pictures, write the text and put up the review, I know it was probably lots of fun for you to relive it too.

This was an awesome review!!

Wow - a picture review of a cruise that was taken two years before I was born! :eek:

You don't see reviews like this every day... thanks for sharing!

I know right! Exactly what I was thinking!

This was an awesome review!!

I know right! Exactly what I was thinking!

Im so glad that everyone liked my first review!!!

Will and TexasteenI asume you must be about 17-19 years old as our son is just 19 years old. It makes me feel old, but in a very good way. My dw and i have had so many good memories on RCCL and now sharing and making more with our kids.

If you have a chance to sail on the Monarch treat her good. She is where we got our start and she holds a place in my heart, i want to sail on her again but 3-4 nights is just not enough time!!

• 1 month later...

Someone commented earlier about how Monarch was criticized as being too large when she was originally launched in 1992. In doing some research, I found this picture of a postcard from the Port Of Miami. She is the easiest one to spot because of her size in relation to the other ships in port.

SeaBreeze_02_Dolphin.jpg

Almost makes you wonder what people will think of Oasis and Allure 20 years from now, doesn't it?

(Picture source: http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/FedericoC_PCs.html)

On a separate note, it was just announced a few weeks ago that Monarch will be transferred to Pullmantur, where she will no doubt be sailing the Mediterranean. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4783

I found this thread a little late - very busy in February so wasn't on these boards much.

Buffettphan - thanks for the memories. My husband and I took our very first cruise on Monarch in 2000 for our 5 year anniversary. She holds a special place in my heart. We had an outside cabin with a porthole (best cabin we could afford) on deck 2. I was shocked by how big the ship looked when we arrived in San Juan to board. Then I was shocked again by how small the cabin was compared to what I was expecting from watching too many "Love Boat" episodes. :p

Someone commented earlier about how Monarch was criticized as being too large when she was originally launched in 1992. In doing some research, I found this picture of a postcard from the Port Of Miami. She is the easiest one to spot because of her size in relation to the other ships in port.

SeaBreeze_02_Dolphin.jpg

Almost makes you wonder what people will think of Oasis and Allure 20 years from now, doesn't it?

(Picture source: http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/FedericoC_PCs.html)

On a separate note, it was just announced a few weeks ago that Monarch will be transferred to Pullmantur, where she will no doubt be sailing the Mediterranean. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4783

Thanks for posting this fabulous picture. I remember seeing the ocean liners docked in NYC when I was a little girl ( in the 50's!) and thinking how huge they were. Now Monarch looks like a yacht next to her big sisters. Somewhere on CC there is a picture of them at sea, next to each other.

To the OP : thanks again for posting one of the BEST threads I 've seen here.

Great review! My husband and I were married in 1992 also. We are sailing on FOS with our children in July.

Your post makes me sad. We only sailed once before in 1998 on Carnival Fascination which is similar in size to Monarch. It was also southern Caribbean out of San Juan. Sad thing is I somehow misplaced those pictures. Can't find them anywhere. I remember many of them but can't find them.

Would love to look through them and show the kids. Funny thing is we are still in the same house but the pictures have gone missing. Would have been fun to post a review like yours.

Wishing you and your wife a happy 20th!

Karyn

Anyone else have old cruise pictures they can share? This was a hoot!

It was pretty neat to see what has changed, and what really hasn't changed all that much in 20 years.

Thankfully...these have changed: The mullets...the fanny packs...the shorty man shorts...the socks...! HA!

Loved it. Thanks for taking the time.

- Stacey

Great idea and very well done review! I cruised Sovereign for my first cruise, in 2002, and was hooked before we ever left port. Loved the pics actually taken on film, the fashion and being reminded that as much as some people complain about the changes cruising is still what is was, a fun relaxing break from reality. Loved the thread! Take care, Jim

Awesome review! I was on the Monarch a few short months after you and it was an awesome cruise. We thought we were pretty hot stuff sailing on the largest ship in the world!

I can also relate to the special feeling you have as it was your honeymoon cruise. I feel the same way about our honeymoon ship, the Song of America, another great ship and still afloat as the Thomson Destiny! thanks again!

Thanks so much for the report! This was so neat to see, I just loved it. Happy anniversary!!! 20 years is incredible. :)

I am going on the Monarch in 9 days and I am even more excited than I already was after reading your review (if that's possible!). I've been on two cruises before and my first was the Majesty, so I'm excited to see her sister.

Thanks Carol. I had a lot of fun posting them and reading all the responses

Thanks for the blast from the past!

Hopefully you are having a wonderful time on the Adventure right now just like you did on Monarch!!!

Tim

;) that was so much fun!! Anyone else have old pics? I would love more long lost reviews, so much fun to see how much the ships have changed, fashion and hairstyles, and even rekindle memories that I have not thought about in years.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Monarch of the Seas is the next cruise for me in a couple of weeks. I figured since Royal Caribbean is sending her off to a different cruiseline next year I need to sail on her at least once. To the OP, I hope you get the chance to sail Monarch one more time before she leaves the fleet. You should try to sail on her last sailing next year seeing as how you were on her maiden voyage. Cheers!

Thank You for sharing. Happy 20th anniversary. My husband and I honeymooned on the Monarch in June of 1992. He remembered the pool very well as he lost his wedding band for the first time in that pool. He did find it only to loose years later.

They used to drain the pools every night. I also think that they were closed when we were in port but I could be wrong on that one.

I do remember the midnight buffet that was just incredible. I will have to find pictures look at them again. Thank You again

Archived