Safety in St Kitts??

Hobie1976

We were in St Kitts in November. One of the ship's excursions had the tour bus held up.

We heard that the road the bus traveled on was blocked by a log. Some undesirables got on the bus and robbed everyone of whatever they had.

About a month ago, I heard of another similar incident. This one mentioned that the bus was held up by gun point and all on the bus had to give up their cash and valuables.

Has anybody else heard about this. We just want to take a cab from the port to S Friars to snorkel...but a bit concerned about these incidents. I would hate to miss a day of snorkeling.

We spent a week in St Kitts at Timothy's Beach in January of 2011 and never once felt unsafe. Obviously one must use common sense, even when in the tropics. I must admit though that I am particularly concerned with the recent news out of Nevis. It is a crazy world that we live in where crime seems to thrive everywhere.

I have to admit that after seeing this most recent event, I'm a little nervous about traveling to the area. We planned on using St. Kitts as just a beach day, so hopefully we'll be able to make it there and back safely.

You will be fine - plan where you are going and how you are getting back... we loved St. Kitts and it was our favorite island on our last Southern Caribbean cruise.

Hello, Just spent 2 weeks at Frigate bay and no visitors we met had any travel problems. We travelled around the island and had no problems.South friars bay when cruise ships are in has a number of visitors so you will not be on your own. We walked around a lot of Bassetere with no problems. Have a great cruise.

• 1 month later...
I have to admit that after seeing this most recent event, I'm a little nervous about traveling to the area. We planned on using St. Kitts as just a beach day, so hopefully we'll be able to make it there and back safely.

We have been to St. Kitts for the past two years and never ever felt unsafe. We toured with Roosevelt Taylor both times. He stayed with us constantly. We went to the Batik Factory, the fortress and Cockleshell Beach. St. Kitts is so beautiful.....take a tour with a reputable tour guide and you will agree!:)

Just travelled to St Kitts and it's now one of my favorite ports of call. Island was beautiful.

As for safety, I ventured on my own outside of the port shops and into the downtown area where there are mostly locals shopping and walking around. Didn't see too many cruise people but never once was I hassled or concerned for my safety. Very nice people.

We were in St Kitts in November. One of the ship's excursions had the tour bus held up.

We heard that the road the bus traveled on was blocked by a log. Some undesirables got on the bus and robbed everyone of whatever they had.

About a month ago, I heard of another similar incident. This one mentioned that the bus was held up by gun point and all on the bus had to give up their cash and valuables.

Has anybody else heard about this. We just want to take a cab from the port to S Friars to snorkel...but a bit concerned about these incidents. I would hate to miss a day of snorkeling.

We walked 12 minutes to Palms Court Gardens and though the area and had no issues. The more you here of large tours getting held-up makes you think he the old saying " There's safety in numbers" just isn't true on some of the islands anymore.

Guest Host Cheryl

We love St. Kitts. We've never felt like we were not safe. The locals are very friendly, the area is beautiful. Unfortunately crime can happen anywhere even at home. I'd suggest leaving any valuables and extra cash you don't need in the ship safe. Thinking you'd have a better chance of misplacing it or leaving it behind rather than being a victim of crime.

Our guide explained that the cops were corrupted and in on some of these things, so the govt. wiped them all out recently and hired a whole new force for the island.

We felt safe - long drive from half moon bay to the other side to go to jolly beach

went thru countryside - just fine

Archived