Stingrays

Waitin to cruise

Dangerous Stingrays? (Bookbabe's standard answer to questions about stingray safety :D )

Stingrays are generally non-aggressive. When threatened, their first reaction is to swim away. This is easy for them to do at Stingray City, since it's just a section of open ocean and the stingrays aren't penned up in any way. They don't just attack you and sting you (although they can be fairly enthusiastic and/or boisterous in their quest for squid chunks). They may sting you by reflex/accident if you step on one. That's why you are not permitted to wear water shoes at Stingray City, and why you are told to shuffle your feet rather than lift them, so that you will not accidententally step on one.

There are many, many types of rays. Steve Irwin was stung by a bull ray, a totally different type than the southern rays at Stingray City. It is also suggested that what killed him wasn't the sting itself, but the fact that he was stung in the chest and then pulled out the barb. There is also the issue that the bull ray was a wild ray and unused to people, while the Stingray City southern rays have spent years and years learning that people are not the enemy, they're a ready source of squid snacks.

For most stings, which are extremely rare, Wikipedia says that the remedy is usually hot water to dilute the venom plus antibiotics. I don't personally know anyone who has ever been stung, so I just have to trust my research on that part of the issue.

From my experience at Stingray City, which is fairly extensive, the usual "injuries" from stingrays involve "hickeys" from the suction of their mouths during a search for squid (say when your DH has stuffed a chunk of squid down your bathing suit for fun) or accidental scrapes from their tails when they swim by you too fast looking for squid and the tail kind of whips against you. These injuries are very minor, though, and are far from life-threatening.

You'll notice the common element here is squid. Stingrays at Stingray City are only interested in one thing...the snacks that they know you've brought with you. No squid = no stingray attention at all. They're worse than cats that way. If you aren't giving them treats, they've got very little interest in you. They may swim by, just to double-check for squid, but as soon as they realize you haven't got any, they'll swim away again fairly quickly. If you are at all nervous about them, stay away from the squid and the stingrays will stay away from you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingrays

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Irwin#Death

I've been to Stingray City dozens of times, and never had a problem with the stingrays. (With my DH, sure, but never the rays. :D ) It's very safe as long as you behave with respect and common sense.

I'm probably not the best to answer this question - going on my FIRST cruise in March and signed up to do the Stingray City excursion. I too have always thought stingrays were scarey, especially after Steve Irwin's death. I kept looking at websites and reading reviews of other people being afraid but doing it anyway and being so glad that they did. Here's the "not so condensed" version ;) I read on one site that many years ago fishermen used to dump their fish scraps in the shallow waters, the rays would come to eat, and of course, there's always the first person who says "hey, these guys look pretty friendly, wonder what would happen if ..." and the rest is history. The rays associate boats and people with being fed, which I guess most of the tours do, and have become very accustomed to people and "friendly". Apparently, they will only used their "stinger" if they feel threatened or afraid themselves. Steve Irwin jumped out of a boat directly on top of a ray which, understandably, didn't know what had hit it and felt threatened. Unfortunately, it hit him directly in his heart and that proved fatal. The smaller tours have more guides per tourists and make sure everyone knows what to do and if you don't feel safe you can certainly get back on the boat. ... ... so that's why I decided to give it a try !!! Maybe it will help your friend. :D

SORRY ... Bookbabe's reply was not showing when I posted mine - mostly repeat info. Hope it helps anyway from the "newbie" viewpoint !!

Bookbabe answered one of my questions - you don't wear water shoes and why. I wondered about that. Thanks !

I'm probably not the best to answer this question - going on my FIRST cruise in March and signed up to do the Stingray City excursion. I too have always thought stingrays were scarey, especially after Steve Irwin's death. I kept looking at websites and reading reviews of other people being afraid but doing it anyway and being so glad that they did. Here's the "not so condensed" version ;) I read on one site that many years ago fishermen used to dump their fish scraps in the shallow waters, the rays would come to eat, and of course, there's always the first person who says "hey, these guys look pretty friendly, wonder what would happen if ..." and the rest is history. The rays associate boats and people with being fed, which I guess most of the tours do, and have become very accustomed to people and "friendly". Apparently, they will only used their "stinger" if they feel threatened or afraid themselves. Steve Irwin jumped out of a boat directly on top of a ray which, understandably, didn't know what had hit it and felt threatened. Unfortunately, it hit him directly in his heart and that proved fatal. The smaller tours have more guides per tourists and make sure everyone knows what to do and if you don't feel safe you can certainly get back on the boat. ... ... so that's why I decided to give it a try !!! Maybe it will help your friend. :D

SORRY ... Bookbabe's reply was not showing when I posted mine - mostly repeat info. Hope it helps anyway from the "newbie" viewpoint !!

Bookbabe answered one of my questions - you don't wear water shoes and why. I wondered about that. Thanks ![/quot

Thank you for this information, I will be there 1 week from today and I was feeling a little apprehensive myself.

Archived