first timer embarkation question

RivieraMaya

If you are a first time cruiser, as far as I know when you arrive you will be given a zone card. Then you go sit down and wait for your zone to board.

First to board will be any weddings (once on Elation we had three HUGE weddings, so this can take some time), then HC folks board, then VIP (platinum and suites), then zone 1.

If you want to get on and eat lunch you might as well get there early and get your zone card.

I was surprised on Triumph as boarding rarely starts before 11 am .. so I got there about 10:50 am .. and everyone was already onboard, since at least 10:30 am .. but usually boarding doesnt start until after 11.

If you wait to get there, you just get a later zone to board. Mid afternoon will be the quietest because most people want to get on and eat the all you can eat buffet, or the deli sandwiches .. or whatever. pizza, tandori, so many choices. then I go check out my table in the MDR and stop by the pursers desk to get a hole punched in my sign and sail card to hand around my neck .. then by then its usually 1:30 and time to get into your cabin.

Having worked at the cruise ship terminal there in Galveston, I can tell you that you won't be able to check in until disembarkation is completed which takes a few hours. If memory serves, it wasn't usually until noon or 12:30 before boarding could commence. If I were you, I would call Carnival and ask them

I have never sailed out of Galveston before so I am not aware of how their port works. I know in Ft. Lauderdale, we got their early one day and we had to wait outside as they wouldn't let anyone in until the ship was debarked.

That is the only port that I ever had that happen and someone said that isn't even usual. I would think with 2 small kids you may be better off waiting until around 12:30 or 1:00 that way they will already have begun boarding and you shouldn't be too long to walk on...if you go too early you have to sit in the waiting area, and you may get an earlier number and get on board sooner but not sure how 2 young kids will do for a few hours waiting.

I'm so excited about our upcoming cruise. We have 2 small kids and I'd really like to board ASAP. How far in advance can I show up at the dock and hope to get on? I'm sailing the Magic out of Galveston. It think it usually docks at 8:30am

We're ALWAYS at the cruise terminal in Galveston not later than 10:30. The crowds aren't big then and things go very smoothly.

Carnival is trying a new system with the Triumph and the Magic that will make cabins ready by 11 AM, allowing boarding a bit earlier. The earlier on the earlier the fun begins!!!

Y'all will have a fabulous time! The Magic is beautiful with a phenomenal crew!!!

:)

Archived