Which Beach? So Conflicted

jannam

I know there are a ton of people here asking the same question, but since none were looking for exactly the same things as I am, I thought I would post and get some advise from those who have been to Antigua before about which beach would be best for us.

It is just my husband and I. We are in our mid 30s. We aren't super active, but no mobility issues. We definitely want a place where we can get a drink and a bite to eat. I would also like to be able to get some shade for part of the day either with trees or by renting an umbrella. Having chairs to rent would be nice, but not required.

We would like to steer clear of the big crowds, but the beach doesn't need to be deserted, either. There are two Ships in port that day - The Carnival Freedom and Adventure of the Seas.

I am leaning towards Turner Beach, but considering many others that sound great, too including Valley Church, Darkwood, etc.

I know there are a ton of people here asking the same question, but since none were looking for exactly the same things as I am, I thought I would post and get some advise from those who have been to Antigua before about which beach would be best for us.

It is just my husband and I. We are in our mid 30s. We aren't super active, but no mobility issues. We definitely want a place where we can get a drink and a bite to eat. I would also like to be able to get some shade for part of the day either with trees or by renting an umbrella. Having chairs to rent would be nice, but not required.

We would like to steer clear of the big crowds, but the beach doesn't need to be deserted, either. There are two Ships in port that day - The Carnival Freedom and Adventure of the Seas.

I am leaning towards Turner Beach, but considering many others that sound great, too including Valley Church, Darkwood, etc.

Hi Jannam,

We are going on a tour with Lawrence and then he told us he would take us to Valley Church Beach for our beach break.

Turners, Darkwood, and Valley Curch beaches are very close to each other, with Ffryes between Darkwood and Valley Church, with Jolly Beach just north of that. Try to visit more than one and make up your own mind. You'll have plenty of time.

Have you looked at Jolly Beach Resort? Free lunch, drinks, etc. Free use of hobiecats, etc. with a day pass. It's about $60. Plenty of shade and chairs on the beach. This is the most beautiful beach and water I have ever seen. Google it and look at the pictures.

I want to get off the ship, take a quick cab ride to a beach, walk on without paying day pass prices, and be able to rent a chair and umbrella and buy a beer or two without spending 100 dollars. Any suggestions

Dickenson beach is the way to go. $5 cab ride, $5 for a chair, no admission fees..restaurants and bar right there and a great beautiful sandy beach. Sandals resort is right there as well so they cant be wrong. Enjoy

...if you are looking for a sandy beach. We just returned and it was covered with shells . You would need water shoes. The waves were rough and I did get scratched when they knocked me over. It was also pretty crowded.

Why was it crowded if the shore isn't sandy?

I have no idea. Perhaps most people are happy just sitting on their lounges and enjoying the beautiful weather etc. i love going in and out of the water and for that purpose it was not ideal.When I changed out of my bathing suit, all you heard was the sounds of tiny shells hitting the floor :)

...if you are looking for a sandy beach. We just returned and it was covered with shells . You would need water shoes. The waves were rough and I did get scratched when they knocked me over. It was also pretty crowded.

I should ignore the negative review of Valley Church since maybe word would spread and it won't be as crowded the next time we go:) It's not "covered" in shells. It's a beautiful sandy beach. I do recall many shells in the water when you first enter right where the waves break on the beach, but just walk out past this and it's fine.

I should ignore the negative review of Valley Church since maybe word would spread and it won't be as crowded the next time we go:) It's not "covered" in shells. It's a beautiful sandy beach. I do recall many shells in the water when you first enter right where the waves break on the beach, but just walk out past this and it's fine.

Facing the beach, we were all the way to the right. perhaps it was only this area that was heavily covered in tiny shells. Water shoes were needed in this area. Correct, once you got pass the shells, it was sandy.

We just got back from Jolly Beach and had a great beach day. Nice wide beach, clean, sandy. When you walk onto the beach go right - to the left is the AI Jolly Beach Resort. They rent chairs $5/umbrellas $10 and have food/drink close by. The natural shade is a not real close to the shoreline so if you don't want to be in the sun you will have to get an umbrella.

Ft. James Beach, where Miller's restuarant is located, would be a good fit for you. It is near the dock and has fulfills all your requirements. We have been to all the others and the beach here is very good if your do not want a resort environment.

So I have a follow up question. My Husband now would like to go to Dennis' for lunch. Since it is located next to Ffryes Beach, would you recommend going to Ffryes beach? Or maybe one of the ones nearby with more stuff like Valley Church or Darkwood?

Maybe hit Valley Church or Darkwood in the morning, then Dennis', then Ffryes after lunch, or vice versa?

Would we need to arrange with a cab to go to there different spots in advance, or will we be able to find one when we need one?

We are in port from 7a till 6p.

--Janna

Was it rocky? was the water clear and calm?? How did you get there?? How far fom the port?

Thanks!

not rocky made up from mostly shells but very nice.Took public bus there ($1.50 per person)maybe 15 to 20 minute ride

Archived