Labadee Zip Line

dond3131

I went on the first available one at a ridiculous hour of the morning but it was amazing, worth getting up early for because it wasn't yet horribly hot and you also got a free ride on the rollercoaster in Labadee if you booked the 7am (presumably an incentive to ensure people went early as well), although I'm not sure if this is still available.

I booked the day before we docked in Labadee, although again as I chose an early time it is possible that I got a space so late because of that.

We went in November - absolutely wonderful. We booked the time around 10:00. The process moves fairly quickly. Also, I highly recommend the rollercoaster (forget what it is called). Make sure you fillout your release forms before heading to the coaster. (Each "event" has its own separate release.)

Have fun - wish I could ride it with you.

We booked the night before. We had 11am reservations.

But if people will be waiting for you to take pictures or video, there is about a 60-70 minute wait from the time you check in to the desk to the time you actually reach the top of the ZipLine, you have to go thru a harness fitting and group instruction, than you head to the mini zip line too see if you are cut out for the larger one, than you get in some trucks that take you up the hill!

I would recommend everyone do this at least 1 time. I do not think I would do it again, too expensive for such a short trip.

Here is a link to my video of the ZipLine from my POV.

Shot with a GOProHD Hero2 (720P 60FPS) Chest Harness.

Click on Settings to view in 720 HD

Cool Video,Thanks.

How do you like your GOProHd Hero 2,I was just looking at one at Cabelas and really liked the size.I want to get one for scuba and sky diving as well as hunting.The small size really caught my eye,I have an older Ikelite Underwater housing for my old film SLR that takes a small suitcase to get around with all the stropes needed to get quality pictures down deep.I have to do some more research on the Hero 2 at depth but they look like a blast for any above water type sport.

Hero is an awesome POV Video Camera.

Remember it is a POV camera ( you will get a slight fish eye look to it) and it should be used as such. It won't replace a standard HD camcorder.

I have the chesty (chest mount) and the helmet mount and the suction cup mount for attaching on surfaces. It is a very handy camera for filming numerous POV scenes normal cameras won't be able to capture. Highly recommended for those who intend on shooting these type of scenes. The time lapse feature is awesome..you tube "time lapse" videos shot from Hero2. Also the numerous cases it comes with allow you to take it underwater where this baby takes some beautiful POV movies.

I think the cost to ride it was $85.00 US

No your feet don't even come close to scraping the water, so you will not get wet.

Watch the time as it can interfere with the BBQ lunch RCI provides. I did the 1pm ride & because of forms & such, I missed lunch.

We had a pretty wavy day, but no, you won't get wet. Somebody who came down behind me swore she saw me hit the water. Not even close.

Like somebody else said, they monitor the winds & such, so not only may they close the ride, but how you go down (position, speed, etc.) is adjusted as well.

I really enjoyed it though.

10AM is the best. Takes about an hour after your booking time to actually get to the line. You have an indoctrination brief, then a practice run on the small zipline, then the jeep ride up the mountain. Once you're done, it's lunch time!:D

Hey Don...Dave (Spanky) here from the same cruise...I am also planning on doing this...I am thinking that earlier is better. I wonder if it should be booked ahead of time online...Let me know what you think.

The video is pretty cool. Of course I am going to try to do it as well...but probably with an old digital camera, just in case...

dave

We will be there in early May on the Explorer and was wondering best time to book it during the day.Also is it so popular that it gets sold out.Any info or input would be appreciated.

Don

The Labadee zip line is awesome!!!

However, it's more time consuming than just the zip line itself. First everyone is weighed, set up with a harness, given instructions, taken to the practice line, taken up the hill to the main zip line, wait your turn and finally you do the zip line. If my memory serves, it's about two hours in all.

Just like with any excursion if there is an option for the starting time, I always choose the earliest so I have time to relax and enjoy the beach or do something else afterwards.

I should also add, why not book ahead of time? It's the best chance of getting the time you want and one less thing to do when your aboard. The tickets will be waiting for you in your cabin.

Hey Don...Dave (Spanky) here from the same cruise...I am also planning on doing this...I am thinking that earlier is better. I wonder if it should be booked ahead of time online...Let me know what you think.

The video is pretty cool. Of course I am going to try to do it as well...but probably with an old digital camera, just in case...

dave

http://driftinnovation.com/

Hey Dave

I was thinking early would be better as well,not sure at this point if wifee is going to do it or not.I was also looking at the coaster.I was also going to book on line as it gets closer.We'll have to hook up and go together either way.I wished they offered skydiving on one of the islands,bud did it in HI and said it was awesome,all I've done was up in the Poconos.

I'm looking at a couple different camera setup's for my different hobbies,the hero 2 is nice and small so it will be easy to pack and its hands free.

Glad to read about this.

My son and I will be doing it, DW will not.

I am assuming you can take your camera with you, any advice on this, I have a Nikon

D5000.

Anything that is a no no on that I should be aware of?

Thinking about getting an early time, getting set up on beach somewhere, and leave DW there until we are done.

The staff advise you not to hold any cameras or camcorders. They say You will need both hands too hold on to the harness when you come in for the abrupt landing. You will also need your 2 hands to do the correct positions to get max/min speeds while on this zipline. In the starfish position i don't think you will be able to hold a camera since your arms and legs are pretty much out in the air in the shape of a starfish!

I saw a couple of people attempt to use the lanyards that came with their cameras to strap them firmly to their wrists. Not sure how their footage came out.

Also for those stopping in Ports. The GoPro cams were half the price I paid for in the US and Tax free!:mad: So I purchased an additional one! :D

Great post! I'm wondering about age limits? Also, if there is more than one of you in your party, how likely is it that you would be able to go at the same time?

I was with my buddy and we went in different groups once we were up top since we were around the same weight.

There 6 to 8 zip lines. The outer ones are for the heavier people and the inner ones for the lightest people. They ask that people form groups according to weight when you are at the top. So it is possible to get in a group with your party if you are in different weight classes.

The staff advise you not to hold any cameras or camcorders. They say You will need both hands too hold on to the harness when you come in for the abrupt landing. You will also need your 2 hands to do the correct positions to get max/min speeds while on this zipline. In the starfish position i don't think you will be able to hold a camera since your arms and legs are pretty much out in the air in the shape of a starfish!

I saw a couple of people attempt to use the lanyards that came with their cameras to strap them firmly to their wrists. Not sure how their footage came out.

Also for those stopping in Ports. The GoPro cams were half the price I paid for in the US and Tax free!:mad: So I purchased an additional one! :D

Did they have the newer Hero 2 cam in the ports?I have to double check our itinerary and see what port we hit before we get to Labadee.How easy was it to familiarize yourself with the GoPro set up,seems simple but wont have much time to play with it if i wait to get it in the islands.

What position gets you the fastest speed and the slowest on a zip line,only experience i have is in a chute?

We will be there in early May on the Explorer and was wondering best time to book it during the day.Also is it so popular that it gets sold out.Any info or input would be appreciated.

Don

WE just did the zip line.. OMG what a blast. We had the 1:00 time, ' perfect for us. Did the roller coaster in the morning and zip line after lunch.....Have fun

Archived