Can I make 8:30a private tour in Grand Cayman?

PK34

Our ship is listed as docking at 8am in Grand Cayman, which you all know is a tendered port. If I am up early and waiting to get on an early tender, is it feasible to make an 8:30am tour (not booked through RCI)? I am told the meeting place is a 4 minute walk from the port.

Our ship is listed as docking at 8am in Grand Cayman, which you all know is a tendered port. If I am up early and waiting to get on an early tender, is it feasible to make an 8:30am tour (not booked through RCI)? I am told the meeting place is a 4 minute walk from the port.

I wouldn't book an 8:30 AM tour. As you know, Grand Cayman is a port where you tender in, and that process takes time. You have to get "tender tickets" and wait for your ticket number to be called. Passengers booked on RCI excursions are given priority. If you can make arrangements for something at least an hour later, I think you'll stand a better chance of getting to enjoy your tour.

I wouldn't book an 8:30 AM tour. As you know, Grand Cayman is a port where you tender in, and that process takes time. You have to get "tender tickets" and wait for your ticket number to be called. Passengers booked on RCI excursions are given priority. If you can make arrangements for something at least an hour later, I think you'll stand a better chance of getting to enjoy your tour.

I tried to book something later and it wasn't available. I'm now trying to decide if I should chance getting a tender or cancel the tour:(

Actually, they'll probably be waiting for you. Private operators know the local procedures pretty well.

Granted my experience is based off some other locations as I haven't made it to GC yet, but so far the results have been the same.

Contact the tour operator to double check. If you don't get an answer, you didn't want to book with that operator anyhow.

Actually, they'll probably be waiting for you. Private operators know the local procedures pretty well.

Granted my experience is based off some other locations as I haven't made it to GC yet, but so far the results have been the same.

Contact the tour operator to double check. If you don't get an answer, you didn't want to book with that operator anyhow.

They told me they would wait as long as they could and wouldn't charge me if I didn't make it. I told them I would try my best to be there at 8:30a:)

They told me they would wait as long as they could and wouldn't charge me if I didn't make it. I told them I would try my best to be there at 8:30a:)

Perfect! Get to the tender station as early as you can so you can be on the first one away. Have a wonderful time :D

We've booked private early tours on GC and have been able to get on the first tender. Depends on who is minding the "store"..so to speak. If the crew member is rigid about RCI tour ticket holders getting on first they may make you wait for the next tender if the first fills up.

That is what I was thinking, but can you phone/email the tour operator? Are you the only people, or are there others from other ships in the same tour?

Is the time listed local time or "ship" time for tendering? That might give you an extra hour. When I tendered on the Freedom in October, there were two tender lines ... the front of the ship was for RCI tours (coming from the theater). The back of the ship was where everyone else lined up. There were no tickets ... if you wanted off early, you got in line early.

On my Freedom of the Seas cruise last October we arrived in Grand Cayman at 8am and the first tender into port was at 8:30am after the ship was cleared by Grand Cayman customs. Your experience may be different but if not you will be late for your tour if the first tender leaves at 8:30am. Also guests that booked excursions with Royal Caribbean will usually be on the first tenders. Good luck.

Also see silentbobs post above.

When are you cruising you also have to consider ship time vs. local time. We are on the Freedom in April and I have an 8:30 stingray excursion booked but the tour operators go by island time and the ship stays on ship time. So we will actually have an hour to meet up with the tour.

we did the exact thing last time we were at the GC. My wife was really worry that we would miss it. so we were the first few groups to line up and wait for the tender. it was quick. We got on the pier and walk across the street to the waterfront centre. We were the first group there. We waited for over 15 mins and the bus came and pick us all up. They waited and make sure that everyone is here before they leave. It was one of the best excursion I ever went on.

Archived