tipping USA vs Europe

jolgro

:eek:Wow, I would have been writing a letter after that incident:eek:.

I would have turned around and immediately gone to the restaurant manager. That's appalling.

I was at a baseball game in NY while traveling for work, and two gentlemen in front of me tried to flag down a beer vendor. After getting a nod and a wave several times, EVENTUALLY the vendor moseyed over to these guys. Was probably 20 minutes or more. When the guys said "keep the change" when they paid $15 for $13.50 of beer, the vendor started yelling at them. After about a minute of this my buddy (who is quite large) told the vendor if he didn't leave immediately we were either going to call security or throw him over the railing... or both. He left.

I do not think people are ENTITLED to tips, but I also don't think they need to do something spectacular to earn them. Do your job well and I have no issues with the customary 15% - 20%. You do a poor job don't expect the same compensation.

Can I say how nice it is to have a tipping thread NOT about the DSC? Did I just jinx us?

As I was wheeling my mother across the parking lot in her wheelchair, the waitress came running after us demanding more tip!

As an Anglo-Saxon I would have used a well-known Anglo-Saxon two word phrase (7 letters - 3 Fs - starts and ends with F);)

Stephen, beautifully stated.

When I am on vacation I want to relax. I spend my time supporting others while on the job. And I cruise with my mom. Took me a few before I realized I was acting as her butler and concierge. I was running all over the ship for reservations and such. Now we both get to chill out and really unwind. That's why I prefer a cruise a year in a suite over two in a regular cabin. I don't live extravagantly, save a few designer shoes and purses. Haha.

Everything you wrote made perfect sense. $10 / day per CABIN makes sense to me, not per person. $100 - $150 would be reasonable. Now to whom you give that (butler or concierge) becomes a personal choice based on how they enhanced your vacation.

We're not rich either, but when celebrating...especially a huge event like 25 years, allow yourselves to be pampered. It will help solidify this into a trip you'll never forget.

Breakfast on your balcony? Butler

Last minute access to a restaurant? Concierge

Skipping lineups? Concierge

Early on / Easy-off? Concierge

Dinner en-suite? Butler

These are but a few of the things these people can do. The rule of thumb is that the Butler will take care of any in-cabin requests (DVD Movies, cappuccino, etc.) and the Concierge will smooth your path throughout the rest of the ship.

Having a suite, and enjoying the "high life" (Not Amsterdam-style ;)) is not something to be embarrassed about, nor is it pretentious.

You're celebrating. So, CELEBRATE! And congratulations.

Stephen

I'm afraid I have a delayed temper like the rest of my family. We didn't say anything at the time and my Mom even pulled out a dollar and gave it to her. Fifteen minutes later I was kicking myself. A letter is a good idea. I'm happy to say the restaurant has since closed which gives me some pleasure since I used to get mad all over again whenever I drove past it.

Stephen, beautifully stated.

When I am on vacation I want to relax. I spend my time supporting others while on the job. And I cruise with my mom. Took me a few before I realized I was acting as her butler and concierge. I was running all over the ship for reservations and such.

You do know you can make any reservation you want from the phone in your room?

We was in Miami last year before our cruise, went for dinner in a steak house, must say the service was poor. We left a 5 % tip because it was so poor I wanted to leave nothing but my wife said leave something. The waiter started shouting abuse that we was not in europe now and he wanted 20% tip, I said that we did not get 20% service. I then took my 5% tip back and complained to the manager and left. I always tip good service, but have noticed in the USA tipping is part of the culture even when you dont get good service.:mad:

To the OP tips are totally up to you & you should never feel obligated to leave more then you are comfortable with.

I just returned from sailing on the Jewel in a suite cabin. We were 2 adults & 1 child. Our butler brought extra pillows, room service breakfast twice, helped find with the cabin attendent my missing return lattitudes invite, fresh fruit 4 times, nightly goodies, gave my GS extra attention plus some other extras we tipped him 100.00.

The concierge made a restaurant reservation along with all of my shore excursions, interceded when there was a problem with one of the excursions(when called from the shore excursion department we were well taken care of) made sure that my carry on was brought on with help during embarkation, included us on a bridge tour which was a big hit as it was my GS birthday the day of the tour we tipped him 100.00.

Archived