cruisetour times?

winterstar

I have booked a cruisetour with RCCL. A question for others who have done this: when you receive your docs do you get a better timeline for your itinerary? Specifically I am wondering the approximate times we will be arriving at hotels, as there are some independant optionals I would be interested in booking.

Thanks for your help!

Our cruisetour train leaves Fairbanks at 8:15 am and arrives in Denali approx. 4 hours later. We're doing an afternoon/evening Tundra Wilderness Tour that same day.

Winterstar, our itinerary that came with the documents was much more detailed on arrival and departure times for all our stops. I made a lot of independent arrangements before the documents arrived, but a couple of things waited until I had more firm information in hand.

Granted we are on HAL, but our schedule seems to indicate to me that perhaps other cruise lines may arrive at Denali at times that vary from the fixed ones BQ noted.

Thanks for the help!

BQ: We are driving from Seward to Alyeska (after disembarking) with a stop for a tram up the mountain, so I am unsure as to the specific timeline, but the driving time would help me get a better idea.

Nanner: That is good to know. Hopefully the RCCL docs will also be more detailed once they arrive. It should only be a couple more weeks until I get them so I will just have to try to settle down until then :D

Granted we are on HAL, but our schedule seems to indicate to me that perhaps other cruise lines may arrive at Denali at times that vary from the fixed ones BQ noted.

Times in transit are FIXED, I did not say so of the arrival times except for the train- which is also fixed.

Thanks for the help!

BQ: We are driving from Seward to Alyeska (after disembarking) with a stop for a tram up the mountain, so I am unsure as to the specific timeline, but the driving time would help me get a better idea.

Nanner: That is good to know. Hopefully the RCCL docs will also be more detailed once they arrive. It should only be a couple more weeks until I get them so I will just have to try to settle down until then :D

Do you have anything included in Seward? Usually the buses leave early morning if you don't have an included Bay cruise and it's about 2 hours to Girdwood.

Hi there --

We're also on a cruise tour and also curious as to times.

We disembark in Seward, head to Girdwood, from there to Fairbanks (by plane), then Fairbanks to Denali then on to Talkeetna and wrap-up in Anchorage.

Given as such, any ideas on the times the train gets into Denali and Talkeetna? Will we travel by train from Talkeetna to Anchorage?

It's kinda funny how the cruiselines have all sorts of info laid out about the actual cruise, but hardly any info on the details of the land tour. :rolleyes:

Thank you much in advance!

Hi there --

We're also on a cruise tour and also curious as to times.

We disembark in Seward, head to Girdwood, from there to Fairbanks (by plane), then Fairbanks to Denali then on to Talkeetna and wrap-up in Anchorage.

Given as such, any ideas on the times the train gets into Denali and Talkeetna? Will we travel by train from Talkeetna to Anchorage?

It's kinda funny how the cruiselines have all sorts of info laid out about the actual cruise, but hardly any info on the details of the land tour. :rolleyes:

Thank you much in advance!

Trish, it looks like you are on the same Cruisetour #13 as we're doing. We leave on the 5/20 Summit, and should be getting our documents soon. When I get ours, I'll be happy to let you know the details. I don't think I've ever been so anxious to receive documents as I am this time. Being on the cruisetour and the need to know times so we can plan excursions, is what's making me want to know NOW! I know what you mean about the cruise line not giving much info on the land portion. I'm a TA and called the cruietour department, asking what time the flight would be. She was surprised and said NOBODY has ever asked that question before. Our Docs are being mailed tomorrow so I shouldn't have to wait much longer...I hope!

Happy planning!

Sharon

Trish,

Sorry, I didn't answer your questions about arrival/departure times on the train. Since it's all one track, the times are set:

Depart Fairbanks - 8:15AM; arrive Denali: 12:01PM

Depart Denali - 12:01PM; arrive Talkeetna: 4:40PM

Depart Talkeetna: 4:40PM; arrive Anchorage: 8:15PM

Hope this helps!

Sharon

On both counts! I read another thread and figured out that the train (drrrrrr -- on my part!) is the Alaska Railroad -- and if I looked at their site (which I did) I could figure out the train schedule.

Hooray for the Internet -- and for my synapses to start firing!

So I feel much better about the train portions of the land tour.

And, yes please, Sharon -- if you care to share, I'd love to hear details -- before and after your trip!

We go at the end of August.

Thanks again!

Perfect timing...Our Documents arrived today, so I'll share the information we now have on our Cruise Tour #13. There were a couple surprises, and good ones at that:

Here goes:

Day 8 SEWARD/ALYESKA: Doc's state that their staff will ensure the luggage is transported to the hotel where it will arrive late in the afternoon. Here's the wording of the next part: "Enjoy the port town of Sweard before traveling by delux motorcoach to the Alyeska Prince Resort. After checking into the hotel you will have the remainder of the day to take an optional Land Excursion, enjoy the tram ride and relax. Trip Length: approximately 2-3 hours" It also states that the included activity: Alyeska Tram Ride can be taken at your leisure."

Day 9 MOTORCOARCH/AIRPLANE TRANSFER:

Alyeska to Anchorage to Fairbanks

"Travel by motorcoach past the Chugach Mountains to the Anchorage airport wher you will catch a flight to Fairbanks.

Trip length: approximately 1-hour drive/1 hour flight

INCLUDED ACTIVITY: Dependent upon your flight schedule to Fairbanks you will either enjoy a city tour through Alaska's largest city, Anchorage with a visit to the Anchorage museum of History and Art or tour of the gold rush town of Fairbanks with a stop made at the University of Alaska Fairbanks Museum, an artic natural history museum. Upon arrival in Fairbanks you'll check-in at your hotel. The evening is yours to enjoy an optional Land Excursion or a relaxing nigth at the hotel. Tour length: approximately 2 1/2 hours."

We'll be staying at Pike's Waterfront Lodge.

The next day of course is the am 4 hour train trip to Denali, with wthe Tundra Wilderness Tour in the afternoon. We'll be staying at the McKinley Village Lodge. No surprises for the next day either, with a mid day train trip to Talkeetna, staying at the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge. Trip length: 4 1/2 hrs.

The next day is in Talkeetna, leaving at 4:40PM for a 3 1/2 hour trip to Anchorage. We'll be staying at the Anchorage Downtown Marriott.

Hope this gives you a little more detail. Of course I was hoping to have the air schedule to Fairbanks. Guess that will be a surprise!

Happy planning!

Sharon

Sharon --

Thanks so much for the information! Especially for typing all of that out!

How very cool -- we'd really like to be able to spend some time in Seward to see the sights.

I'm very curious as to the timing -- when they say "travel by deluxe motorcoach later" I'm wondering what "later" means...

Our hotels are the same as yours. I'd love to hear your thoughts about them when you return (I hear the Alyeska Prince Resort and Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge are both really quite something!).

BTW -- Are you, by any chance, considering an Arctic Circle tour while in Fairbanks? We're considering it, but haven't decided yet.

Thanks again!

Sharon --

BTW -- Are you, by any chance, considering an Arctic Circle tour while in Fairbanks? We're considering it, but haven't decided yet.

Thanks again!

Determine WHAT you want to do here?? It's a long bus ride for just a photo in front of a sign. I recommend instead a fly one way/shuttle back. There is a 2 for 1 coupon in the toursaver book, offering a great tour. :) I've been on it.

That's exactly the tour we're considering -- the 2 for 1 in TourSaver. It flies out to Coldfoot.

Is it really only a flight, a photo in front of a sign, and a certificate? or is there a pretty good tour once we get to Coldfoot?

The idea is appealing if it gives us a chance to gain some insight into 'native' Alaska and if it improves our chances of seeing the Northern Lights (we're figuring that might be the case on a late night flight back to Fairbanks).

Of course, having the Arctic Circle certificate and having the experience in crossing that 'line' are appealing too!

Does that sound about right for what the tour is about?

That's exactly the tour we're considering -- the 2 for 1 in TourSaver. It flies out to Coldfoot.

Is it really only a flight, a photo in front of a sign, and a certificate? or is there a pretty good tour once we get to Coldfoot?

The idea is appealing if it gives us a chance to gain some insight into 'native' Alaska and if it improves our chances of seeing the Northern Lights (we're figuring that might be the case on a late night flight back to Fairbanks).

Of course, having the Arctic Circle certificate and having the experience in crossing that 'line' are appealing too!

Does that sound about right for what the tour is about?

When I have gone, you fly to Coldfoot and shuttle back. Verify if you are flying back to Fairbanks? My reference was for the bus tours only- a very LONG ride for the certificate. With the flying option at least the time is broken up. The van service allows many stops along the way. Picking berries, pipeline views, permafrost "encounter", Yukon River meal stop, Joy- Trading Post stop. This isn't a "native" tour, more tundra, flora. Remote possible wildlife, with moose the most likely. When are you going?? For Northern Lights- best is in Sept or later. Again remote earlier and with this trip ending about 1am- too early usually if going before Sept. Don't even expect anything if going before mid August.

Hi BQ --

Thank you for your insights! Yep -- we'll be in Fairbanks in early September -- and you're right, it looks like it's fly out and bus back.

Thanks, also, for clarifying what the tour is about. We'll have to mull it over some more!

Archived