Miracle Chef's Table... my review (long!)

beltane

Hubby and I did the Chef's Table on Feb 11th on the Miracle and LOVED it!

From what I know, it was only offered on two nights, and accommodated 12 guests each time. We signed up the first day on board, through the steakhouse. It was $75 per guest. Payment is handled after the dinner, on your Sign 'n' Sail card. You have the option of leaving an extra gratuity if you wish, but a gratuity is included in the $75. (We left extra... it was that good!) Because of the galley and dangers of slipping, etc, ladies are asked to avoid open toed shoes or high heels. Smart casual wear is perfect.

Our group met at the main bar at 6:00 p.m. A host welcomed us and asked us to please follow him... and led us into the galley. It was bustling, but not crazy noisy like kitchens I've personally worked in. The servers and cooks were all on very good behaviour compared to restaurants I've worked in. Not sure if that was for us, or I have to wonder if Carnival insists on "no monkey business" in their kitchens... who knows.

The first guy introduces us to one of the head chefs (there are LOTS) who will be our host for the rest of our evening. Ours was Siva Gurunathan. Champagne was offered to all and our chef offered a toast. He was very personable. He spoke very comfortably and was happy to answer any and all questions. While this is going on 3 different amuse bouche's are served: Ahi Tuna Tartare, a duck pot sticker, and a savoury Avocado Cheese Cake. ALL amazing!!! He gave us a quick overview of how the kitchen is run. He then personally shows us how the famous chocolate melting cake is made and prepares the batter and pours it into the small baking ramekins. During this time the champagne was generously topped up for all as needed.

Then he guided us through the galley showing us a brief view of the rest of the various food prep stations. This "tour" takes about 30 minutes, I suppose it can take more or less depending on questions asked by the participants.

Because the Miracle does not have a private dining room yet, they use Frankensteins Disco for the dinner. Don't let that phase you, they have a large table beautifully set and it feels VERY luxurious and special.

Before we are seated we have a group picture taken by a ship photographer.

Placecards tell you where you are seated... be prepared, you will not be beside your partner. You will be across from him/her and it is a LARGE table... there is no way to whisper to each other. At first I didn't like this, but as I got to know my dinner companions better it was okay. It certainly forced me to socialize more than I probably would have. Very soon the entire table was laughing and chatting and having a wonderful time! It was immediately clear that everyone there is a food lover. The menu for the evening was scrolled and ribboned and placed at the top of each setting. Inside it was personally addressed with each guest's name.

The chef never leaves for the entire evening, except to check on our dinner in the kitchen, but always quickly returns to watch over our dinner party.

There is a water steward for the entire evening, constantly offering sparkling and still water throughout the meal.

The sommelier explains the white and red wines he has chosen for our dinner and we are then offered as much wine as we want for the rest of the night. The wine steward seemed to always be quietly at my side asking "would you care for more red or white?" It was great! :D

The chef explains each course as it is served, and stays to answer any questions we have about ingredients, how cooked, why he chose that seasoning, etc. He moves about the table freely asking our opinion, chatting, and making sure we are enjoying ourselves.

Here are the courses we enjoyed:

• Norwegian Salmon Tartar with avocado mousse, and salmon caviar
  • Fire Roasted Tomato and Poblano Chili Bisque, with grilled corn and cilantro drizzle
  • Rock Shrimps and Apple Beignets, with tapioca crunch, garlic lemon aioli
  • Chopped Mediterranean Salad, with shaved pumpkin, and feta cheese crumble
  • Filet of Chilean Sea Bass, wine stewed shallots and chives vinaigrette, leeks emulsion, peas risotto
  • Aged Filet Mignon, with onion streusel, homemade three pepper mustard
  • Special-Made Chocolate Melting Cake, with an amazing raspberry sorbet and other goodies on the plate (this was the very dessert he prepared initially while we enjoyed our champagne at the start of the tour)

Coffee and tea was offered with dessert. Again, white and red wine was constantly topped up throughout.

At the end the chef thanked us and we applauded him and his stewards. They gave each of us an 8x10 photo of our group, with the chef as a memento of the evening. At this point the good ol' sign 'n' sail receipts went around and patrons could sign as is, and also had the option of an extra gratuity, which Hubby and I happily did.

I'm not sure which was my favourite... it was ALL delicious! My steak was sheer perfection. The Norweigian Salmon Tartar was divine.

Our whole dinner experience lasted 3 1/2 hours... it flew by! We had a wonderful time and will absolutely do the Chef's Table again and again. Completely worth $75 and more.

The only drawback to the entire evening is how far away the washroom is. You have to go up a winding staircase to a second floor, out an emergency door and through a bar to get to it. After a few glasses of water and wine the trip to the washroom can be quite a challenge! Haha! I wouldn't let that stop me, but it could be a detriment for guests with any kind of physical challenge.

You're right! :eek: Yes it was... I was using my menu to go by for my review this morning, and it's not listed there... but yes, the steak taco was phenomenal! They must have forgotten to put it on our personal menus and thus I forgot. You have a good memory!

I see that the Miracle is still serving the old menu - we had the new menu on the Fantasy two weeks ago and I understand that all ships are in the process of changing over (we were only week 2 of the new menu on that ship).

It was, indeed, a great event!

We had the new menu on the Liberty as well. Though I really enjoyed it, I preferred the old one as did my husband.

Archived