Kings Court Question

LDVinNC

I thought I understood how it operates in the evening, but today we received the Voyage Guide for our upcoming transatlantic and now I am confused. It says it is a "24 hour casual alternative for breakfast, lunch, or a late night buffet. The Kings Court also transforms into four excitingly unique restaurants for dinner."

This statement is followed by 4 lines describing the 4 venues, EACH of which has an * after its name and down at the bottom of the page it says a cover charge of $10 applies. No mention of any free casual dining in the evening. I suspect I am missing something - surely it is not necessary to pay if you do not wish to go to the Brittania Restaurant a night or two.

The various venues in the King's Court alternate between being a free buffet and a reserved dinner with a ten dollar charge. One night it might be Lotus being the free buffet and La Piazza and The Carvery requiring a charge, the next night it might be The Carvery as the free one and the other two charging the supplement. The Chef's Galley is always a demonstration kitchen at dinner time, requiring reservations and the surcharge. Information about which one will be the buffet is noted in the Daily Programme or you can inquire at the King's Court at the beginning of the voyage.

Thanks. That is how I understood it works, but the booklet seemed to indicate otherwise.

In my days in the Work Study business, we were always taught that the way in which a given task was carried out could always be described in three different ways, namely:

1. The way the manual said it should be done,

2. The way the manager thought it was being done, and

3. The way the person responsible for carrying it out was actually doing it.

Translating that into Cunard terms, I would say it works like this:

1. What the brochure says happens on board the ship,

2. What Cunard shoreside tell you happens on board the ship, and

3. What you actually find happens when you get on board.

And I think that's really why this forum is so useful - because it takes you beyond the morass of disinformation that you get from #1 and #2 above and allows you tap into the experience that people have gained from #3.

:D:D

J

The various venues in the King's Court alternate between being a free buffet and a reserved dinner with a ten dollar charge. One night it might be Lotus being the free buffet and La Piazza and The Carvery requiring a charge, the next night it might be The Carvery as the free one and the other two charging the supplement. The Chef's Galley is always a demonstration kitchen at dinner time, requiring reservations and the surcharge. Information about which one will be the buffet is noted in the Daily Programme or you can inquire at the King's Court at the beginning of the voyage.

We found the $10 charge on QV to be worth it. The food & service were more personal than in Brittania. Never a feeling of being rushed. Food & service in Britannia was very good, but they did kind of "rush" you along, to be out in time for second seating. Once they realized we eat fairly quickly, they slowed it down a bit. That all being said there is always a part oif Kingscourt/Lido that stays as a buffet to cater to those who prefer a more casual meal. Food is still pretty good.

Archived