Clamshells on GSC ?

minimom5

Does anyone have any info on how to rent a clamshell on Great Stirrup Cay? Can this be done ahead of time or do we need to do this at the excursion desk on the ship? If that is the case, does anyone know where the excursion desk is located? Any info/advice would be very much appreciated!

I have not seen anywhere yet, Im wondering myself. But if your talking about Cocoa Cay, I hear there is plenty of shade if you don't get a clamshell. I do know you can rent one on the ship. I would do so the 1st evening, just in case . This way you will have a ticket and mostly be able to tender first.

I realized that I forgot to mention that we will be sailing on the NCL Gem and stopping at their private island which is Great Stirrup Cay. From what I am gathering, it seems that the clamshells need to be reserved at the excursion desk once on the ship......am I correct? It would be so nice to be able to reserve it ahead of time and then just rest easy......

The "excursion" desk is usually the pursers' desk or customer service.....it will be somewhere around there. Coco Cay is RCI...Not NCL...

Go and look for it when you board. If you can rent one, fine. If you can't...not a big deal! There are loungers everywhere and shade is readily available...without paying a cent!

Just got done with a back-to-back on the Sun; two stops at Great Stirrup Cay. We rented a clamshell ($29.99) at the excursion desk on deck 5 for the first visit. You can also rent on the island and there are plenty available. The benefit to renting it on the ship is that you get an "excursion" ticket which gets you on the first tender, which, in turn, gets you a better location for your clamshell shelter. You want to get in the front row if you can, since every other row has a diminished view. The shelter came in handy as shade is at a premium. The island is more of a desert isle; it's certainly not a tropical paradise. We didn't even get off the ship on the second stop; once in a lifetime was enough. Be prepared for a very windy experience and a very choppy tender ride.

Just got done with a back-to-back on the Sun; two stops at Great Stirrup Cay. We rented a clamshell ($29.99) at the excursion desk on deck 5 for the first visit. You can also rent on the island and there are plenty available. The benefit to renting it on the ship is that you get an "excursion" ticket which gets you on the first tender, which, in turn, gets you a better location for your clamshell shelter. You want to get in the front row if you can, since every other row has a diminished view. The shelter came in handy as shade is at a premium. The island is more of a desert isle; it's certainly not a tropical paradise. We didn't even get off the ship on the second stop; once in a lifetime was enough. Be prepared for a very windy experience and a very choppy tender ride.

So you advise a clamshell? Not much shade, huh? I was thinking it would add as a little privacy for the little one also. Was the water warm?

We visited GSC on the Jewel, the Gems sister ship - its true you can reserve on the ship at the excursion desk - also on the Jewel there is a kiosk that you can reserve it at so you don't have to wait in line - I'm not sure if anyone has seen a similar kiosk on the Gem? But it does save some time...

I found that we liked havibg the clamshell - you have a place to keep your bags and such, and on our day in particular it was HOT with lots of sun, so it was nice to have a place to take cover! I guess if it was cloudy or overcast it might be frustrating to have it, but still nice to have a home base I found.

They didnt have the adult beach area last time i was there, so I'm excited to see that area this time!

That is a wonderful great tip. THANK YOU. These are just the tips I enjoy finding out about.

Thanks.

Im feeling a bit disappointed about this stop now. Desert? Not tropically? :(

From the pictures that I have seen, it doesn't look look anything like RCCLs or Disney's private island. But, I won't be at work and treating as a beach day so it should do LOL

Archived