Insurance for rental cars

tigercat

We have rented a car in Florida before but am worried about having to buy a lot of insurance. My insurance as well as my credit card's insurance would have given us enough insurance but we were told that we had to buy Florida insurance before we could rent the car. Is that true?

tigercat

If you have checked with both your regular insurance carrier and your credit card company and are covered, just keep saying "No thanks!" to the rental agent trying to sell you overpriced collision damage waivers and such. Good luck! :)

Just so you know, if something happens and you have not purchased the additional collision coverage, you will be expected to pay the bill up front and then be reimbursed once you file a claim after you get home. The rental car company will not bill your insurance company. If you are confident that you are covered by your credit card and feel comfortable paying a large bill up front, then go ahead and decline the coverage.

I worked in a rental car agency for five years, plus have rented numerous cars myself over the years; I speak from experience on both ends of this situation. :)

We rented a car from TPA in December/11 and they did quite the sales job on us about buying the insurance. All I can suggest is to check out your own coverage before you go, have the number handy if you need it and know the conditions of your contract. We used the complimentary coverage through my credit card and it was fine, we didn't even need to provide proof.

Archived