ATM at Southampton terminal?

maina

I've done a search on the message boards, and it appears that there are no ATM machines located in the terminal in Southampton. Is this still the case? We will need to get some GBP right off, as we'll be taking a taxi to train station, buying train tickets, etc. (We prefer to wait as exchange fees to obtain foreign currency are very high where we live.) Is it possible to get some GBP on board the Queen Mary 2, either by exchanging USD or by charging to our onboard account? I read in a posting from another cruise line that it was possible to obtain various currencies by charging to your onboard account.

I've done a search on the message boards, and it appears that there are no ATM machines located in the terminal in Southampton. Is this still the case? We will need to get some GBP right off, as we'll be taking a taxi to train station, buying train tickets, etc. (We prefer to wait as exchange fees to obtain foreign currency are very high where we live.) Is it possible to get some GBP on board the Queen Mary 2, either by exchanging USD or by charging to our onboard account? I read in a posting from another cruise line that it was possible to obtain various currencies by charging to your onboard account.

No Problems maina, If you have no £ Sterling you will find there are ATMs outside Southampton station and all the taxi guys here in Southampton ( unlike US) are happy to wait until you've made a transaction. They are quite use to this for guests disembarking from the ships ..... Just make sure you mention this before you get into the cab !!..... and they will wait ..( or they may even take you via a local ATM)... ofcourse with your luggage still in the trunk ( 'boot' for us in the uk:rolleyes:) until you return with full payment.

Bell Boy;)

I left my husband with the luggage and went all over the terminal, asked, and never found an ATM. Our driver was taking us to Heathrow, so he very nicely stopped at a location prior to our arrival at the airport.

Exchanging money onboard will give you terrible rates of exchange, that you should avoid.

We will need to get some GBP right off, as we'll be taking a taxi to train station, buying train tickets, etc.

Not sure if it helps, but you can also Google Maps down to the area of SouHam right outside the docks and see the load of banks right in the area. They all probably roll in major currencies due to the nature of that port town. You can probably click the places and get the link to their websites, then write an email and enquire.

Assuming the ship won't handle your request.

Archived