Over-protective grandmother has a question about the Kid's program.

maja

We are taking our 2 granddaughters (7 & 9) on the Gem. I want them to have the opportunity to enjoy themselves if they decide to participate in the Kid's program. My question is.....Can the crew take the kids out of the play area without parental permission? I have a very bad memory stuck in my head from years ago. Don't even remember which cruise line I was on but I watched in horror as a crew member was trying to get a group of young kids across a very windy top deck.

We are taking our 2 granddaughters (7 & 9) on the Gem. I want them to have the opportunity to enjoy themselves if they decide to participate in the Kid's program. My question is.....Can the crew take the kids out of the play area without parental permission? I have a very bad memory stuck in my head from years ago. Don't even remember which cruise line I was on but I watched in horror as a crew member was trying to get a group of young kids across a very windy top deck.

Been quite a few years since I've had kids in the kids crew, but I have seen them out around the ship doing a "pirates parade"...and I've also seen them at the show as a group in the past.

Hopefully some one using the program recently will chime in here...:)

I would say without parental notification rather than permission. The Kids Crew has a printed weekly schedule which will indicate where the activities are (most are in the Kids Crew, but some - like shows - will be elswhere). Other than those scheduled activities, then, no, they won't take them out of the Kids Crew area. So, you'll know in advance if / where they're going and can plan accordingly. Our kids LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Kids Crew! We can't keep them out of there!

The only form I signed was to indicate who could pick up the children, and for older children whether they could sign themselves out.

My understanding was that there might be occasional activities outside the kids area, and I had full confidence that NCL staff would keep them safe. You can ask in advance what the day's activites are, and if there's something you're not comfortable with, you can keep the children with you for that time.

We LOVED the kids program on NCL. Sakari never wanted to leave and always begged to go back. They have a WONDERFUL staff and you will find that most of the people that work at the kids program aren't just people they hired to work there. They are professionals with degrees pertaining to children and most have years of experience.

They are great with the kids. You usually check in at the desk and the kids are actually in an area that is secluded off. In my experience, all the activities were conducted in different areas behind those closed doors. Every day is a different activity and "theme". They would have a "puppy" day and do activities with them making a puppy dog/floppy ear hat and paint their faces, read stories pertaining to the subject and watch a movie. Each night was something different and Sakari came back with TONS of things she made to take home for memories. She hasn't stopped talking about it.

As far as security...they put a wrist band on them when they arrive at the kids center and are checked in. You get one too. No one can pick up the kids unless they have that wrist band to prove who you are. They knew us all by name after the 2nd-3rd day, but they still checked the band each time for assurance.

They did not take her out of the kids area but once, which we were informed ahead of time and had to "sign her up" for the "event". They were taking them out to eat dinner (had to be dressed up) at the main dining room. You had to a) sign them up and there was a limited space b) sign a permission slip saying it was ok for them to do it. Otherwise, if you didn't want them taken out of there, they would remain at the kids club with the nightly activities.

I can't stress how great this program was and we are looking forward to it again.

Good luck and relax MaryAnn...you'll be fine. :)

On the Dawn and Spirit my son (who was 4 and 5 respectively) went out for a number of occasions.

They did Pirate Parade and treasure hunt, Prince and Princess parade, dinner at the kid's buffet.

They also took them to a number of the early shows as well.

He LOVES every minute of it and can't get there fast enough each morning.

The counselors are all excellent at engaging them and making sure they all have a great time.

I had no worries about his safety or them taking him anywhere around the ship.

We've taken my BF's son on two cruises now (both on the Sky) and each time we were notified if he was going to be out of the Kid's area--the aforementioned shows and Pirate walk, I don't recall having to give specific permission, but they did let us know ahead of time.

Add us to the list of HUGE fans of the Kid's Crew, every time we've taken the little one he absolutely loves it, he loves the counselors (I think he had a crush on one in particular--he was 4 at the time) and loves getting to play and interact with other kids. On more than one occassion he made it pretty obvious to us that going to Kid's Crew was WAY more fun than hanging out with us! We highly recommend the program!

Does anyone know what the "tweens" do in the club? My son will be 12 at the time and I know he would feel that some of the above-mentioned activities would feel "babyish" (to him). I realize that all this is going to change on the 19th of February. Just curious what has been done with tweens in the past.

Does anyone know what the "tweens" do in the club? My son will be 12 at the time and I know he would feel that some of the above-mentioned activities would feel "babyish" (to him). I realize that all this is going to change on the 19th of February. Just curious what has been done with tweens in the past.

Go to

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/cruisinmama06/

Go to the right hand side and click on NCL kids crew for the itineraries of a lot of ages and ships.

Hope you are able to find what you need to know.

I will echo the comment that NCL is currently changing their kids club, so this may be old information. However, on the Star in January DS1 was in the 6-9 year old group. I did arrive one day to find he was not physically in the kids club, but up on the sports deck. They called and asked him if he wanted to leave (he didn't!), so I came back to get him later. I was surprised though, because this wasn't in the program but appeared to be a spur-of-the-moment decision. I have to say at the time I was a little upset that I didn't know where he was, even though he was fine. In light of the Concordia incident it does make me worry, because I would like to know where he is at all times, not just that he has appropriate supervision.

If you're uncomfortable with your child leaving the kids club area, I'm sure you could speak to the staff and come to some sort of arrangement, but there are definitely times where they plan to be out and about on the ship.

I will also echo the previous comments about the kids club. I have a very shy, sensitive boy who has difficulty adapting to new situations and the staff did an exemplary job helping him adjust to their program.

However' date=' on the Star in January DS1 was in the 6-9 year old group. I did arrive one day to find he was not physically in the kids club, but up on the sports deck. They called and asked him if he wanted to leave (he didn't!), so I came back to get him later. I was surprised though, because this wasn't in the program but appeared to be a spur-of-the-moment decision. I have to say at the time I was a little upset that I didn't know where he was, even though he was fine. .[/quote']

I was not an overprotective mother and am not an overprotective grandmother although I feel I have given appropriate supervision to suit a particlar age and child.

I would never leave my child with someone I didn't feel I could fully trust especially in the middle of the ocean on a ship. If I met the councillors and felt secure with them looking after my precious little one, viewed the itinerary and was comfortable with it, then I would leave them without 2nd thoughts.

But I have to say I would have been extremely upset if this had happened to me. Not only did they not give you warning of this ahead of time, but it would also break my trust in them.

We took our ten year old grandaughter on the Pearl in september. She was reluctant to go to the kids program but once there we had a hard time prying her away even to eat. The did go on a pirate walk about the ship. We did know she was going but never had any official notification or form to sign. They are in the kids program care.

I was not an overprotective mother and am not an overprotective grandmother although I feel I have given appropriate supervision to suit a particlar age and child.

I would never leave my child with someone I didn't feel I could fully trust especially in the middle of the ocean on a ship. If I met the councillors and felt secure with them looking after my precious little one, viewed the itinerary and was comfortable with it, then I would leave them without 2nd thoughts.

But I have to say I would have been extremely upset if this had happened to me. Not only did they not give you warning of this ahead of time, but it would also break my trust in them.

Wow, let them play basketball and it breaks the trust. Up a deck and with supervision, do they call for bathroom breaks too? A bit extreme, probably best to keep them with you at all times.

Wow, let them play basketball and it breaks the trust. Up a deck and with supervision, do they call for bathroom breaks too? A bit extreme, probably best to keep them with you at all times.

Back off, you totally missed my point and obviously misundersood what I was saying. And truthfully didn't call for such a harsh and rude response to my parenting or grandparenting skills of someone you've never even met, let alone haven't seen with her children or grandchildren.

Don't worry grandma, the kids will be fine and have a wonderful time.Most of the activities are in the kids area or inside the ship itself. Our granddaughter had the time of her life on the Spirit last year.

Back off, you totally missed my point and obviously misundersood what I was saying. And truthfully didn't call for such a harsh and rude response to my parenting or grandparenting skills of someone you've never even met, let alone haven't seen with her children or grandchildren.

Don't need to back off!! You post, I comment. Pretty hard to misunderstand what you said. You said it broke the trust. Wow, basketball, on deck, with supervision of the staff that you hired to take care of the little tykes. Scary!!

Still think you should keep them with you at all times so they can be safe.

Don't need to back off!! You post, I comment. Pretty hard to misunderstand what you said. You said it broke the trust. Wow, basketball, on deck, with supervision of the staff that you hired to take care of the little tykes. Scary!!

Still think you should keep them with you at all times so they can be safe.

...... deleted

Thank you all for the information.

As long as I know I can ask what the activities are that are planned for the time the kids are there, I know now I can stress that I don't want them out of the kid's area. I may be over-doing it a bit but I also know I would not be able to relax if I didn't know where they were.

I raised 4 of my own, but, when it's your grandkids, well, things are different!

We were on the Star in November with our 4 year old. He loved it! They went out of the kids club most night for parades, shows and even trips to the photographers. We got the cutest picture with DS and all his friends dressed like pirates. We would ask every evening if they had any plans to leave that night, where they were going and what time. I liked being able to see him out and get some pictures while they were out parading around. I always felt comfortable with the level of supervision and found the staff to be very attentive.

The pp are right. The kids Crew staff will take them all over the ship. Other examples are scavenger hunts, parades, water gun fights on the deck, organized games outside, to the theater for the evening production shows, they will go get ice cream in the buffet as a group. They will do multiple activities outside the 4 walls of the kids club room.

It's an active kids program. They have fun, they move around, they aren't confined to one room. That's not how parents want their kids cared for either.

For another poster to suggest that you just keep your kids with you and not do the kids club is the best suggestion. There's no way your kids would have a good experience if they can't do most of the activities. Then you would require a staff member to stay back with your kids. This would affect the staff to kid ratio of the entire rest of the group.

Archived