upgrading at pier?

jakenashleysmom

We are booked in literally the worst two cabins available on the Star in April. We got a heck of a deal, 2 insides for less than 4 in an one inside. We paid less than $475 per person for 7 days. Checking the NCL website, it appears there are a ton of cabins available.....we are 7 weeks away from sailing. It seems like a lot of cabins available for April school break to me, so I wonder if we wanted an upgrade what I should do? We booked this trip because of the great price, so I don't want to spend a ton of extra money on a cabin but I am not familiar with NCL policies. Our last 3 cruises were in a balcony, but I am ok with having the inside this time around. Thought maybe an OV would be ok too.

Any experience and or help appreciated!

Often times a few weeks before the cruise if some of the better cabins are still available, the prices will take a big time drop and you can simply call NCL directly to ask to pay the difference. For example, last December, we were booked in a aft penthouse, but the prices dropped on the 2 bedroom penthouse to only cost us an extra $100 to upgrade a few weeks before, due to the fact that their were 6 of those cabins unsold.

I am hoping the same things happens for our April school vacations. Although, it seems as if on the Jewel, the prices are going up each week.

Well, since you mention that $100 is more than you want to spend, I'm guessing you are looking for a free or almost free upgrade? It is not likely, nearing cruise time if there is a lot of availability, they will start upselling. Usually they start at a level that will be easy to sell, if they need balconies, they will upsell those in balconies to free them up. It is unlikely they would be looking for less desirable insides, but you never know. I would expect you will have to pay to move, freebies are very rare, if ever. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Hi Guys.

Just wondering if there is any website available to ascertain how the cabins on your particular ship is selling???????

Regards Bob.:)

The easist way to do this is go to NCL.com and go through the motions of booking a cruise on your ship. At the point where you have to choose a cabin, you will see what is still available.

Well, since you mention that $100 is more than you want to spend, I'm guessing you are looking for a free or almost free upgrade? It is not likely, nearing cruise time if there is a lot of availability, they will start upselling. Usually they start at a level that will be easy to sell, if they need balconies, they will upsell those in balconies to free them up. It is unlikely they would be looking for less desirable insides, but you never know. I would expect you will have to pay to move, freebies are very rare, if ever. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Not exactly...I don't want to spend $400, or $100 per person. $50 per person, ($200) maybe. Actually it looks like the balcony cabins are sold out, but the "mini suites" are available...not really much difference. And yes, my cabins are not desirable to anyone so its doubtful LOL! I will call and let them know I am interested and my "threshold of pain" LOL. Thanks everyone for the information. I have played around with reservations on RC on almost every one of my cruises and been successful, I just am not familiar with NCL and how they do things. You've all been helpful.:)

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "upsell." When we were on the Gem out of NY this December, the ship was only half full. We had a mini-suite, but I heard nothing about pier upgrades or any free upgrades at all. Admittedly, we had an adjoining room with our daughter and her family -- an upgrade may not have worked -- but this coming August, I'd love to get an upgrade on the Pearl for our 30th anniversary. Would telling them of our celebration help?

It has been my experience that they will sell those cabins come hell or high water...no pun intended. Take a look around 60 days prior, then again 45 days prior and you will see the difference. Of course my experience is only with RC, but I believe they all work the same magic!

On another note, I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to connecting OV cabins. We looked into a family suite, then connecting balconys, but that would have doubled our fare from $2100 to $4700....however, I did pay a bit more than I was dreaming it would be LOL. We paid about $650 total to upgrade from insides deck 4 forward, to family ocean view with picture window deck 5 forward connecting. I think it will work better for our family, and apparently NCL doesn't have connecting insides.

Thanks for all your help and happy cruising!:D

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "upsell." When we were on the Gem out of NY this December, the ship was only half full. We had a mini-suite, but I heard nothing about pier upgrades or any free upgrades at all. Admittedly, we had an adjoining room with our daughter and her family -- an upgrade may not have worked -- but this coming August, I'd love to get an upgrade on the Pearl for our 30th anniversary. Would telling them of our celebration help?

There are hundreds of people celebrating something on a cruise so doubtful that will have any bearing.

Keep in mind, that free upgrades are very rare as is pier upgrades.

Hi Guys.

Just wondering if there is any website available to ascertain how the cabins on your particular ship is selling???????

Regards Bob.:)

Yes!

When we cruise we always look for fish that could easily be caught in a net

We always like to see the historical price of the room and where it is now, if it is dropping, etc. You can go there and they will send you an email of price drops. You can also see quickly if rooms are available in whatever category. Good Luck!

Yes!

When we cruise we always look for fish that could easily be caught in a net

We always like to see the historical price of the room and where it is now, if it is dropping, etc. You can go there and they will send you an email of price drops. You can also see quickly if rooms are available in whatever category. Good Luck!

Thank you for posting this! It took me a minute then, aha, got it :D

Now watching our sailing - it will be interesting to see what happens!

An upsell is where you pay for an upgrade. If there are unsold cabins, the price will drop and you can pay the difference between what you paid and the price of the better cabin. We have been able to upsell twice and gotten great deals.You need to keep checking the prices and then call and offer to buy the upgrade.

Definitely would not wait until you get to the pier or onboard the ship. More times than not, you will see a sign that says the ship is sailing full and changes in cabins are not available.

Seven weeks is a long time. It is spring break. Those cabins are definitely going to be gone. In about a month, those that have guarantees are going to be given designated cabins. You may be shut out.

on our first cruise in august we were inside on deck 4. our aunt was a few rooms down and she had an issue with her room. there was a musty odor down there. now we also booked bc of pricing. bc of the "odor" she started to complain and did so for about 3 hours when she was promptly moved to a balcony room for no charge. now we didn't smell the odor she talked about but I did mention something to someone and we were promptly moved to an ocean view at no charge...NCL handles an complaint quickly and professionally. Im not saying lie but well...enjoy your cruise ! :D

An upsell is where you pay for an upgrade. If there are unsold cabins, the price will drop and you can pay the difference between what you paid and the price of the better cabin. We have been able to upsell twice and gotten great deals.You need to keep checking the prices and then call and offer to buy the upgrade.

This trip we're going with a kosher tour group (Kosherica) and I paid them a rate that combines their service with the ship's price. Can I still go to NCL directly for an upsell? If so, had I known this, I would have booked with the tour group at a lower-price stateroom, and then paid NCL the difference.

• 4 weeks later...
This trip we're going with a kosher tour group (Kosherica) and I paid them a rate that combines their service with the ship's price. Can I still go to NCL directly for an upsell? If so, had I known this, I would have booked with the tour group at a lower-price stateroom, and then paid NCL the difference.

Sorry for only responding now... I've considered booking with Kosherica before but haven't b/c their prices are out of reach for me. I just book a regular cruise and then eat the Weberman's kosher food NCL has.

I doubt you can book an inside with Kosherica and then upgrade thru the cruise line... it would undermine Kosherica's pricing strategy completely. But you can try and see. Please post back here if you learn anything.

I upgraded our cabins on our Epic cruise once we boarded the ship. We upgraded from a standard balcony to a mini-suite for $200. We just went to the main desk once onboard and asked of there were any upgrades available.

Sorry for the question but I've seen these references on this site and they appear to be a bit ambiguous. Are you saying it costs you $200 per person or $200 for the room?

Archived