Amalfi

joeyg

Good morning,

We are on the June cruise that stops in Amalfi for 6 hours. We have shortened our choices to taking the tender into Amalfi and walking around or taking Oceania's excursion by boat to Positano and Amalfi for $139. What do you suggest is it worth it??

Thanks

I realize I am not answering your specific question, and my suggestion presupposes you have not been to Amalfi before. Oceania does not allow enough time in Amalfi. There is simply too much to see. Too many of its cruises stop in Amalfi for just 6 hours or so. I would suggest getting a group of 6 or 8 and hiring a private driver for a drive along the Amalfi coast and to Sorrento.

Good morning,

We are on the June cruise that stops in Amalfi for 6 hours. We have shortened our choices to taking the tender into Amalfi and walking around or taking Oceania's excursion by boat to Positano and Amalfi for $139. What do you suggest is it worth it??

Thanks

You can get a ferry to Positano on your own MUCH cheaper

Good morning,

Thanks

I would book a private tour, sharing with another couple. You will have enough time for the scenic Amalfi drive stopping in Ravelo & Positano. We use a local company benvenutolimos.com they are fluent in english, very professional, and will know exactly where to take you within the limited time you have.

If it's your first time there, take the Tender and spend time in Amalfi.

The Coast Road is I am told horrendous with many long traffic jams making such a short visit impossible.

There are many boats along the Quay to Sorrento to make it simple to do yourself. All O does is leads you there and once in Positano tells you to be back at a certain time.

Brian

Thanks,

Great information.

we have three people traveling with us that want to go to PamPei. Since we will only be in port 6 hours is there enough time to arrange a private limo and get back an hour early?

I vote for taking the ferry on your own to Positano if you possibly can. It doesn't take long from Amalfi and Positano is such a wonderful and unique hillside town. You do not have enough time to go to Ravello so don't even try.

Thanks,

Great information.

we have three people traveling with us that want to go to PamPei. Since we will only be in port 6 hours is there enough time to arrange a private limo and get back an hour early?

Pompeii is a site best visited from Naples or Sorrento. It's too far from Amalfi (traffic,etc) and you would not have enough time to really see Pompei.

Stick with Amalfi or a boat trip to Positano and save Pompei for another time.

JMO

...add another vote for taking the tender to shore and spending the time exploring Amalfi itself. Walk around, there's more to it then it first seems and there are lots of interesting shops to poke around in. Take time to grab some lunch, just make sure it's at one of the spots where you see the locals eating, that way you'll get better food...

...we were there last fall on the Insignia and there were two excursion groups on private bus trips that barely made it back in time due to unforeseen traffic situations and a brush fire. So again, my recommendation is to spend your time in Amalfi itself, it is a very pretty place to see and take pictures of...

cheers,

the Imagineer

This whole thread really emphasizes how important it is to check the time spent in each port before booking a cruise. Many people never bother to do this and then are surprised that there will only be six hours in a wonderful port like Amalfi where a couple of hours more would open up so many more options.

Archived