Panama Canal cruise April 2006 - which cruise for solo cruiser?

VernaF7449

Hi -I am looking for a 10-12 day cruise that includes Panama Canal partial transit in April 2006. I'd like some opinions as to which ship you would suggest - I am a 47 year old female, will be traveling by myself, likes a few activities, some nightlife (I tend to crash early, but would like options if I wanted to do something at night). I enjoy good food and elegance, but those are not a priority -as long as I do not starve and my room is tidied up a little bit (I am not a super-needy traveller). I have no problem meeting people, mingling, and going to activities, and I enjoy being by myself, too. My goal is to relax!

I am considering the following ships:

Zaandam (HAL)

Brilliance of the Seas (RCCL)

Coral Princess

Galaxy (Celebrity)

Any feedback and opinions on these cruises for solo cruising, especially for 10-12 day cruises, would be appreciated!

I know that Panama canal cruises tend to have older passengers, but if I go around Easter/school vacations there would be more families around.

I have been on Explorer of the Seas (Not solo - with groups), I am not attached to RCCL and would like to try another cruise ship.

These cruises also have a mix of different ports - I need to check these out to see where I'd like to go. I also like sea days, and these cruises have 4 or 5 of them.

Unless I find a really great deal (highly unlikely) I do not think the price differential between the 4 ships is that great, based on pricing I have seen on-line - that will also depend on what cabin, too. HAL or Princess have the lowest single supplement (at least for inside cabins and less expensive outside cabins) compared to Celebrity and RCCL.

One other question - for those of you who have gone solo on Princess, would you do Anytime or traditional dining? I have seen some similar threads, but feel free to add here! I have heard that HAL makes an effort to seat single travellers together, too.

Thanks!

Verna

Verna,

10-12 day cruises tend not to attract families, due to the cost. Also, working adults with limited vacation time tend to stick to the 7-day or less cruises. That said, I've done 2 solo cruises on HAL, most recently on the Zaandam in December, 2004. I was seated at a table with 2 other singles, plus a couple. There are 4 dining times on HAL, so although there may be other singles onboard, your choice of dining times has a lot to do with who you get seated with.

Have a great cruise and enjoy yourself, regardless of which cruise line you choose.

Roz

Hi, I was wondering if you've gotten anymore info on the trip to Panama for next April. It seems we are in the same "boat" age and solo. Our needs are similar and I very much want to do a trip which cruises the Canal.

Last year I did Alaska alone on Princess. While Alasak was stupendous being alone on Princess was not. They did pretty much nothing to make the trip more pleasant. The dining captain was snotty and sat me with three couples when I asked for seatmates traveling alone. Therefore in my humble Princess is not the way to go.

I would be anxious to hear any info you have obtained.

Doreen

Hi -I am looking for a 10-12 day cruise that includes Panama Canal partial transit in April 2006. I'd like some opinions as to which ship you would suggest - I am a 47 year old female, will be traveling by myself, likes a few activities, some nightlife (I tend to crash early, but would like options if I wanted to do something at night). I enjoy good food and elegance, but those are not a priority -as long as I do not starve and my room is tidied up a little bit (I am not a super-needy traveller). I have no problem meeting people, mingling, and going to activities, and I enjoy being by myself, too. My goal is to relax!

I am considering the following ships:

Zaandam (HAL)

Brilliance of the Seas (RCCL)

Coral Princess

Galaxy (Celebrity)

Any feedback and opinions on these cruises for solo cruising, especially for 10-12 day cruises, would be appreciated!

I know that Panama canal cruises tend to have older passengers, but if I go around Easter/school vacations there would be more families around.

I have been on Explorer of the Seas (Not solo - with groups), I am not attached to RCCL and would like to try another cruise ship.

These cruises also have a mix of different ports - I need to check these out to see where I'd like to go. I also like sea days, and these cruises have 4 or 5 of them.

Unless I find a really great deal (highly unlikely) I do not think the price differential between the 4 ships is that great, based on pricing I have seen on-line - that will also depend on what cabin, too. HAL or Princess have the lowest single supplement (at least for inside cabins and less expensive outside cabins) compared to Celebrity and RCCL.

One other question - for those of you who have gone solo on Princess, would you do Anytime or traditional dining? I have seen some similar threads, but feel free to add here! I have heard that HAL makes an effort to seat single travellers together, too.

Thanks!

Verna

• 2 months later...

I am a single 40 yr old and will be on the MSC Lirica in MARCH (last week...) - My DH just cancelled on me after tix bought!

They have a great itinerary (Fort Lauderdale, Ocho Rios, Cartagena, San Blas , Cristobal , Puerto Limon , Roatan Islands). I would LOVE to have someone to tour with!

You will find some families on Canal cruises around Easter.. not many but some.. if you are solo I'd go on Royal Caribbean.. I prefer Princess and have found it very solo friendly (don't go solo but have met many who have joined up with others) but if you did not have a good experience I'd def. go with RCI..

Thanks for your input - I decided to go with 10-day Southern Caribbean cruise on HAL Volendem - the schedule worked for me, new ports for me (except for St Thomas) plus a less-outrageous single supplement on HAL.

I want peace and quiet, plus Volendam sounds like a beautiful ship.

Panama Canal in 2007, perhaps?

Archived