Viking River Cruise Question

ScottC4746

we just returned from the Grand European Tour with Viking - and loved it!! This was our first river cruise... the others have all been big passenger cruise ships... and this was a real treat! We are in our early 60's but i don't think age matters that much.... you just need a good sense of adventure! We did some of the included tours, 1 optional one. but mostly we ventured into the towns with our sailing couple and explored on our own. Viking has great tours if you so choose..... but it's nice to just find the backstreets and little pubs on your own too! Food was great on the boat..... accomodations were spacious and the staff were wonderful..... free wine and beer with lunch and dinner... as much as they could pour! which was great...... we sailed on the Prestige.... and it was more than we anticipated.... we loved it and would go back in a heartbeat!!! Have fu - in whatever you choose!!!

Jane1244--I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your first river cruise. We will be on the Prestige in August which wil be our first river cruise too after having taken many cruises on large ships. What were the highs and lows of this cruise?

Thanks,

Evelyn

Really glad I ran across this thread. My partner and I are booked for the city of lights (Paris to Prague) in Sept 2013. Sounds like we may be the youngest travellers (45 and 36 at time of sailing). This will be our 2nd cruise. 1st was last year on the Paul Gauguin in Tahiti. So we were looking for something different than another tropical location. :)

I am too interested what other cruisers think the highs and lows of this cruise

Thanks!

Highs?- the relaxed pace, just sailing along looking at all the sights great (castles) and small (lovely houses lining the rivers), the interesting conversations with other passengers, just stepping off the boat into little medieval towns etc Lows? for us, on Viking, it was the food. A fellow passenger referred to it as "cheap wedding reception" food. We saw what he meant. That didnt put us off though and we`ve just booked for a Douro trip next year. Try river cruising if you havent already - you`ll definitely enjoy it

Highs?- the relaxed pace, just sailing along looking at all the sights great (castles) and small (lovely houses lining the rivers), the interesting conversations with other passengers, just stepping off the boat into little medieval towns etc Lows? for us, on Viking, it was the food. A fellow passenger referred to it as "cheap wedding reception" food. We saw what he meant. That didnt put us off though and we`ve just booked for a Douro trip next year. Try river cruising if you havent already - you`ll definitely enjoy it

Dear Nippy Sweetie,

We’re delighted to hear that you enjoyed the sights, activities and pace of your cruise. Your next voyage aboard Viking Douro will undoubtedly be just as great. Thank you for sharing your opinion of the food on board; we’re sorry to hear it did not suit your taste. We’d appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly and get some additional feedback. Please email us at TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com.

Looking forward to sailing with you again next year!

Sincerely,

Viking River Cruises

I have to say that I find this response very offputting. I had thought that this forum was for for passengers to share opinions and views and not a place for cruise companies to respond to criticisms. If I had wanted to complain directly I would have.

I have to say that I find this response very offputting. I had thought that this forum was for for passengers to share opinions and views and not a place for cruise companies to respond to criticisms. If I had wanted to complain directly I would have.

A lot of cruise companies respond to their respective posts on cruise critic. I find nothing wrong with that. A lot of people to do make criticisms here never take the time to write or call the cruise line directly.

I think it's great that the cruise companies follow these posts.

Karen

I have to admit, I'm surprised that you felt off put by such a thoughtful and considerate company response.

There has always been speculation about whether the cruise lines monitor the CC commentary. It's refreshing to see that not only do they monitor, but seek out further input on areas of concern.

• 3 weeks later...
A lot of cruise companies respond to their respective posts on cruise critic. I find nothing wrong with that. A lot of people to do make criticisms here never take the time to write or call the cruise line directly.

I think it's great that the cruise companies follow these posts.

Karen

I totally agree, Karen, I am very impressed by the fact that I have seen Viking respond to several issues that have been shared on these boards. It makes me feel much better about the cruise I booked with them for next year.

Archived