S.S. United States update

frankp01

The S.S. United States Foundation's annual meeting was in Philadelphia this past weekend. Since I live in Philadelphia, I attended with the hopes that there might be some mention of NCL's plans/progress with the ship.

Susan Robinson of NCL attended last year's meeting. There was no 'official' NCL rep at this year's meeting, but there was a maritime lawyer who's been involved with the S.S. U.S. for quite a while (unfortunately I don't recall his name). He has been actively involved with Colin Veitch and NCL. Apparently Mr. Veitch has S.S. United States memorabilia *all over* his office, which I consider to be a good sign. NCL is still progressing with their plans (which obviously will require a lot of work, given that the United States is essentially nothing but a shell at the moment).

Several documentaries are in the works, so there was some footage from those. Commodore Alexanderson passed away in February, and there were several very moving tributes to him and his command of the ship.

The ship was placed on the National Register of Historic Places this year. What's interesting is that it made the list, even though it's under the normal 50-year cut-off. Sites of extraordinary interest can be added to the list. Fewer than 1%, I believe, of sites on the list are younger than 50 years old. The United States made the cut!

The meeting was *quite* interesting... I was amazed at how quickly the day passed.

For those that are interested, the foundation's website is
[url="http://www.ssunitedstates.org"]S.S. United States Foundation[/url]

Phil Frank

I really look forward to hearing about this project as well as the SS Independance in the future! Thanks for the news

SS Independance 6/1988
SS Independance 11/1994
SS Independance 5/1998
Ecstacy 11/2001
Pride of Aloha 10/2004
Pride of Aloha here we come!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;11;31;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000[/img]

Fantastic to hear that NCL appears to still be in a "go" mode as far as SS United States goes...still was a shame to see SS Norway have to leave the fleet and being apparently sold for scrap price [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I really hope NCL moves ahead with refurbishing SS United States and replacing the engines with a different powerplant than steam, which one can only assume they will do.

I'd LOVE to sail on this ship in the future!

Gary Kulash
[url="http://www.badelephant.com"]www.badelephant.com[/url]

Carnival Holiday 8/02
NCL Majesty 1/03
NCL Norway 5/25/03
NCL Sea 7/03
Celebrity Galaxy 3/04
Celebrity Mercury 10/04
HAL Zuiderdam 12/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by garykool81:
I really hope NCL moves ahead with refurbishing SS United States and replacing the engines with a different powerplant than steam, which one can only assume they will do.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The maritime lawyer who spoke, did say that the plans were to re-engine the United States. They expect a 30-year life expectancy for the ship when it re-enters service. At the end of that period it's boilers would have been over 80 years old! In addition, my personal belief is that the bad press from the Norway would be very hard to live down if they returned another steam-powered ship to service.

Phil

I would think they would convert it to diesel electric or some other format other than steam. The Norway had steam and was much younger and you know what happened. The boilers have been idle so long as to be absolutely unsafe.

Proud charter member of the PPS-Passport Pusher Society
Oceania Insignia(Athens to Venice)-something new!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;09;26;23;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]
[email]smeyer418@yahoo.com[/email]
Celebrity, NCL, Overnight Ferry, hydrofoil between countries, car ferries and river cruise and of course the Staten Island Ferry

• 1 month later...
I was speaking with the Cruise Director on the Crown(really nice guy) and he says that US will be back in 2008 totally refurbushed and with new engines to make 38 knots! The Indepedence is headed to the breakers!

I know it's a recent report from someone who might well know, but I would still urge caution in advance of any announcement. The rumour of the [I]Independence[/I] being scrapped has surfaced on and off for over 12 months now, IIRC, and has never yet proved to be true.

I agree that until there is a final announcement you should be skeptical(I was) but he seemed to know and said specially that it was just too far gone to be redone. The US he said was in really good shape but will be totally redone, but it seems they have their plans for new and rebuilts set for the next 4-5 years and its in NCL interest not to have a hull around that someone may use...It costs to store the ship so it will probably be cheaper and easier if they have no plans for it to end its days...

I am hoping that the stories about refurbishment or rebuilding of the
SS United States are actually true. I rememember seeing her docked
in New York in her "heyday"when she was the fastest ship on the seas,
and holder of the Blue Riband (last ship to hold it). If NCL ever decides
to bring her back into service, I would book on her in a heartbeat.

• 5 weeks later...
I was surprised one morning last week to notice that the SS independance was no longer moored at Mare Island in Vallejo, CA. she'd been there for quite some time awaiting inspections to see if NCL would bring into the fleet as a US flagged vessel.

Now, I see that she is in a dry dock at the San Francisco ship yard.

I wonder if there is an update on her future??

Reference Independence:

Several weeks ago World Ocean and Cruise Liner Society's Bill Miller reported that Independence would be moved from Mare Island to drydock in San Francisco, in preparation for towing to India, where she is to be scrapped.

The WOCLS has been a reliable source in the past.

Michael

Guest alexMD
July 26, 2004: The SS INDEPENDENCE returned to San Francisco from Mare Island under tow. She was brought over to the Pier 70 complex before daybreak and is expected to remain berthed for some time. The reason for the move was a silting problem at Mare Island, where low tides found the ship resting on the mud, prompting NCL to arrange a minimum rental at a little used berth at the pier 70 complex. She will remain there for an indefinite period with no actual work scheduled.

Source:
[url]http://www.maritimematters.com/independence.html[/url]

Thanks Alex, that clears it up. I guess NCL still has no solid plan, drat. I notice that she had been sitting in the water funny (over at mare island) and figured she was either tied too tightly or that they had been adjusting balast. That is a pretty dirty river, I'm glad they moved her to some deeper water.

Guest alexMD
... that NCL's plan might have something to do with paying a modest storage fee to keep a fairly serviceable American-flagged cruise ship out of the hands of any competing cruise lines.

Archived