overnights in port

bludevil

Hi,

I'm looking at a cruise that includes several overnights in ports. (Celebrity Millennium in December 2012) The overnights are in Hong Kong, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh, and Bangkok.

Does this mean the ship basically turns into a hotel and we can come and go as we please or does the port close at a certain time and we all have to be back on board?

The idea of being able to really experience these ports seems like a great idea.

You get on and off at will. These are the best cruises as you get to experience a place more than for a few hours. Look at Azamara also. They go to these same cities, but I don't know if they go in December, but they have the advantage of docking in town in Saigon and Bangkok and are a lot more convenient than the ports the big ships go to.

Hi,

I'm looking at a cruise that includes several overnights in ports. (Celebrity Millennium in December 2012) The overnights are in Hong Kong, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh, and Bangkok.

Does this mean the ship basically turns into a hotel and we can come and go as we please or does the port close at a certain time and we all have to be back on board?

The idea of being able to really experience these ports seems like a great idea.

Yes, it's a a good idea & applies to most Asia cruises.

Helps overcome the major drawback of cruising - too little time in port.

But a couple of caveats, depending on exactly where you port:

Saigon & Bangkok, little ships can port in the city, as Alidor's post. But most cruise ships, including Millenium, port a 90 - 120 minute drive from the city, Laem Chabang for Bangkok & Phu My or Vung Tau for Saigon. So to avoid the wasted double travelling time & enjoy an evening in the city, it's well worth considering an overnite city hotel - cheap in both cities.

Hanoi is a 3 hour drive from the sea. All ships berth at Halong City, or moor off the city in Halong Bay. For ships which moor offshore in the bay, I don't know whether the tenders run through the night or even whether they stop altogether after dark - I've known that happen elsewhere.

All berths in HK are convenient.

Also check the time in port.

We had 3 nights in Saigon, but with a 1pm arrival & a 5am departure that meant one and a half days.

JB :)

Archived