Lines and more lines!

QuinlanCruisers

Greetings...first cruise, first questions in CC, and I'm sure this has been asked a time or ten, but there is SO much information here to be absorbed!

One of my main concerns about my cruise (CCL Triumph, 12/8/12 to Cozumel) is standing times. I have a bad back, and while I can walk miles, standing for long periods is a problem for me. I'm thinking about buying one of those little foldup chairs, but my butt is...generous...and I'm not sure it'll fit :D and I've heard they are heavier than you'd think.

I don't want preferential treatment, but is there a way to avoid the standing during embarking and debarking?

Unless you require a wheelchair, you need to stand in line. Many of the folks have the same issues you do and you'll find the line moves quite quickly on embarkations...... most of the time.

;) Most of us would avoid lines if we could. :D

IF you find you absolutely cannot stand there, then approach one of the cruise line's representatives and tell them your situation.

Yes! My mom has the exact same problem. She has a compressed disc and although she can walk briskly for miles, if she stands for even a short bit she gets a lot of pain- bad enough that she would be in pain for days.

We called ahead to Princess last time and they had a wheelchair waiting for her at the terminal.

Good luck!

Often, you can just sit down and relax and let the mob move on. Then you can just walk where you want to go. If you have to be the first one somewhere, then you will often have to stand on line.

Serious noob here....sit where? When we're embarking, is there a seating area before you get on the ship?

Yes! My mom has the exact same problem. She has a compressed disc and although she can walk briskly for miles, if she stands for even a short bit she gets a lot of pain- bad enough that she would be in pain for days.

We called ahead to Princess last time and they had a wheelchair waiting for her at the terminal.

Good luck!

Exactly....I'd even consider a wheelchair at the END of the line. As I said, not seeking preferential treatment, just trying to avoid certain pain - and I really don't want to be on painkillers during this trip :)

Exactly....I'd even consider a wheelchair at the END of the line. As I said, not seeking preferential treatment, just trying to avoid certain pain - and I really don't want to be on painkillers during this trip :)

Don't even mess with it- order a chair. You aren't taking anything away from anyone by assuring that you don't have to take a bunch of painkillers because you stood in line.

Serious noob here....sit where? When we're embarking, is there a seating area before you get on the ship?

There is, but then you get in line to get your papers in order, to check in, to go through the metal detectors, and to get on the ship. There can be a lot of standing.

Easy......... arrive at the pier around 2:00 when most of the others are already aboard. No lines. Fast and easy. Go right aboard. Don't be among the early 'crush' of guests and you won't have any line to worry about.

Since you said you are sailing on Carnival I can actually let you know what they told me!

6 weeks before our sailing I was hospitalized because of a severely herniated disc at L5-S1. When I got out, I wasn't sure how I was going to be to be honest. I didn't have insurance at the time, but the Dr was pushing for surgery even w/o it because it was so bad!

I emailed Carnival Special Needs and asked them. I was told that they would put that wheel chair assistance might be needed on my account for me and was told it would not be a problem. If I needed help, just request a wheel chair for embarkation or debarkation and if one was avaliable they would get one. This was ONLY for getting on or off the ship and not for use on the ship.

I ended up not needing it thankfully (I am having surgery March 1st though now), and the only problem was every time I tried to get on and off the ship, my card would beep and they would ask if I needed help.

Just email Carnival Special Needs that you might need help and they will happily help you. Better safe than sorry!

Why not just rent a motorized scooter there are places that will have them waiting at the ship for you

You can used them on or off the ship

Some ships just getting from one place to another is an all day affair ;)

Let the cruise line know you will be bringing one onboard well ahead of time

Archived