Independance Norovirus.

cyukuk

It's such a shame that it has happened. People don't realise how bad it can get. It's just by not doing one simple act.

I am always overly cautious on the ship or for that matter when on holiday. I always carry my little bottle of hand sanitiser with me where ever I go. I wash my hands every time sometimes even twice, use the hand gels round the ship and then use my own as well. It smells like lemons and not just of alcohol like the one on the ship.

I think it was 2 years ago that we were delayed boarding because of the virus. They never told us that it was but they gave us a small letter with our daily cruise compass that you get when you check in saying there had been several cases, about 400 I think, and that boarding was going to be delayed by a few hours just so they could clean the ship. Throughout the rest of the cruise there were crew everywhere you went cleaning everything that people touched! Even in the lifts they were cleaning the rails, buttons, doors....but yet they all had a smile on their face and were willing to have a laugh with you. We heard a rumour that on that sailing 40 people had come down with it and were confined to either the ships medical facilities or their cabins. Mostly it was children (or so the rumour went) which wouldn't surprise me as I have seen countless times children going to the toilet and then leaving without washing their hands! :eek:

CK x

I have been reading back through the reviews and it does appear that it's this time of the year and also after a child heavy cruise, hoping that this won't affect our April cruise as the cruise before ours is around the Easter school holidays , fingers crossed that they all look after our ship and keep her nice and germ free .

I have been reading back through the reviews and it does appear that it's this time of the year and also after a child heavy cruise, hoping that this won't affect our April cruise as the cruise before ours is around the Easter school holidays , fingers crossed that they all look after our ship and keep her nice and germ free .

There are two cruises on over the Easter period. The one before ours has a full week outside of the school holidays. I know for a fact that schools are now getting very strict on parents taking their kids out of school for a holiday and permission has to be given for this to be done. So hopefully there won't be that many children on the ship before us.

But all the blame can't go on the children, I have seen adults do exactly the same or just swish there hands under the water for a few seconds and then just walk off. It's also when people touch the food in the windjammer that gets me, there are grabbers there for people to use, not your fingers! Yuck!

CK x

There are two cruises on over the Easter period. The one before ours has a full week outside of the school holidays. I know for a fact that schools are now getting very strict on parents taking their kids out of school for a holiday and permission has to be given for this to be done. So hopefully there won't be that many children on the ship before us.

But all the blame can't go on the children, I have seen adults do exactly the same or just swish there hands under the water for a few seconds and then just walk off. It's also when people touch the food in the windjammer that gets me, there are grabbers there for people to use, not your fingers! Yuck!

CK x

I totally agree , I have witnessed many things in the buffet that adults have done that have left me gob smacked ,I had heard that there are constant announcements on loop in the restrooms telling people to now wash their hands , if that doesn't work then they need someone in there making sure people do , mind you that won't help as they wont be washing their hands after using their own bathrooms .it's just pure ignorance in that case and so hard for the crew to keep the ship safe .

I totally agree , I have witnessed many things in the buffet that adults have done that have left me gob smacked ,I had heard that there are constant announcements on loop in the restrooms telling people to now wash their hands , if that doesn't work then they need someone in there making sure people do , mind you that won't help as they wont be washing their hands after using their own bathrooms .it's just pure ignorance in that case and so hard for the crew to keep the ship safe .

Soon we shall all have to wear haz-mat suits around the ship to stop us all spreading illness :D

I just except the fact that it happens but I will do my utmost not to be part of the cause.

CK x

I have just had a reply from our friends on board who have been on Indie since 2nd Feb for a B2B and leave tomorrow.

They said the Windjammer has been open as normal with extra staff on a couple of days serving the food as opposed to help yourself.

The only food they noticed stopped was the nibbles in the Concierge and Diamond lounges.

Everything is back to normal and the ship very clean. They say they have had a fantastic time but are ready to go home now:).

It is all down to personal hygiene, the crew do their bit but the guests on board let the side down and "forget" to wash their hands. Every single bacteria will double its self every 20 mins under the right conditions, and anyone who touches the surface will pick up and transport that bacteria untill they wash or sanitise their own hands, please lets all do our bit and wash our hands at every oppertuinty and also use as much hand jel as we are offered that way we will all be a little bit safer.

I might sound a bit sad but i always take dettol wipes with me and just go around the door handles, light switches, and even the t.v.romote control when i get in my stateroom :) and always wash my hands. never had a problem and i dont want to give my shipmates any.:) could just be lucky but it make me feel better :D

Simply, ban dirty people from cruising! If everyone could be trusted to wash their hands then the 'santisation police' would not be needed! Glad I carry my own gel , shame everyone else doesnt. It only takes the minority to spoil it for the majority!

We had our nibbles in the CL but they were served by the Concierge, we did not touch anything on that table, not even napkins. This did occur on our 2nd B2B, after many children arrived to sail from Hawaii to Sydney, AU. It was the 3rd day in the Captain was alerting all to Wash their hands. It just got worse though.

We did see amazing things on the ship. One lady was seen scooping up her lettuce from the bowl with her hands :eek: I saw a lady butt in behind the Crew server, during the Noro period in the WJ, to serve herself!! Alerted him and he removed the tongs she had touched!!

People on our 3rd now Clean B2B were seen picking up food with their hands, so it is an ongoing problem no matter how many are told to use tongs or such.

I don't think that there will be 1000 guests with norovirus!

Sorry to hear about the issue with the sailing and wish all of you going the best of luck. I am sure they will be doing all they can to get it clean, so it will take some time. I think it best to have patience, get rid of your luggage and then pop over to West Quay. Very nice shopping centre, plenty of food spots and cafes, coffee shops! Always pop over the road to TK Maxx and get some nice bargains, lol!

No point rushing to the ship as if the terminal building is closed there is absolutely nothing there to see or do!

I might sound a bit sad but i always take dettol wipes with me and just go around the door handles, light switches, and even the t.v.romote control when i get in my stateroom :) and always wash my hands. never had a problem and i dont want to give my shipmates any.:) could just be lucky but it make me feel better :D

That is such a good idea, we also bought a 3 packet of Hygenic-Gel Instant Hand Sanitiser from bodycare, my wife will carry one in her hand bag, i will have one in my pocket and we will keep the third bottle in the stateroom, I know this might sound like we have OCD but better safe than sorry I think

That is such a good idea, we also bought a 3 packet of Hygenic-Gel Instant Hand Sanitiser from bodycare, my wife will carry one in her hand bag, i will have one in my pocket and we will keep the third bottle in the stateroom, I know this might sound like we have OCD but better safe than sorry I think

I think when I walk round the ship people think I have OCD. I have hand sanitiser in bag everyday and I put it on my hands after I have washed my hands after the bathroom, after I have used the lifts, after I have touched the hand rails on the stairs, after I have selected my food at the Windjammer before I even put food to my mouth, after I have eaten in the Windjammer, after I have eaten at dinner, after I have had a drink, pretty much after I have touched anything. It does get a bit repetitive but better to over do it then not at all. I know there is a chance I could get it but at least I can help prevent it as much to my own ability.

CK x

Arrived home from the cruise today. nowhere near as bad as people are saying on here!

Midway through the cruise there was extra cleaning in place, guys with spray everywhere cleaning all the handrails etc, etc. They also stopped self service in the windjammer with staff on hand to serve you, so no one could use the tongs - this should be standard anyway as it is already on other cruise lines.

Apart from that we noticed nothing abnormal

Though we were told that 2 people had died on the cruise, but due to heart attacks

Arrived home from the cruise today. nowhere near as bad as people are saying on here!

Midway through the cruise there was extra cleaning in place, guys with spray everywhere cleaning all the handrails etc, etc. They also stopped self service in the windjammer with staff on hand to serve you, so no one could use the tongs - this should be standard anyway as it is already on other cruise lines.

Apart from that we noticed nothing abnormal

Though we were told that 2 people had died on the cruise, but due to heart attacks

Oh my god :eek: no way! Thats so bad and my thoughts are with the families affected!

CK x

As South Wales Cruiser said, nowhere near as bad as the rumours. I heard 500+ being banded around amongst guests but the only figures I heard from staff was 62 on the first morning which had gone up to 160 that evening.

The venues and facilities were still busy so I doubt very much that there were 1000 in their cabins!

The cruise was fantastic in every way, and the staff were fab.

I feel for those that were affected by the virus and for the families of the 2 people that died.

I think when I walk round the ship people think I have OCD. I have hand sanitiser in bag everyday and I put it on my hands after I have washed my hands after the bathroom, after I have used the lifts, after I have touched the hand rails on the stairs, after I have selected my food at the Windjammer before I even put food to my mouth, after I have eaten in the Windjammer, after I have eaten at dinner, after I have had a drink, pretty much after I have touched anything. It does get a bit repetitive but better to over do it then not at all. I know there is a chance I could get it but at least I can help prevent it as much to my own ability.

CK x

To be honest, I have spent around £3500, and I am not bothered how sad I look!!!, I will be making sure none of my party get poorly!!!

As South Wales Cruiser said, nowhere near as bad as the rumours. I heard 500+ being banded around amongst guests but the only figures I heard from staff was 62 on the first morning which had gone up to 160 that evening.

The venues and facilities were still busy so I doubt very much that there were 1000 in their cabins!

The cruise was fantastic in every way, and the staff were fab.

I feel for those that were affected by the virus and for the families of the 2 people that died.

Re Numbers who got the Norovirus ...There was a short mention of the Norovirus on the IOTS on my local T.V news last night and they said 400 passengers had been affected + a couple of crew members

seems like the problem has not yet been sorted out just had a email off RC telling us boarding for 6th march is being delayed again for deep cleaning as there has been another out break on board getting a bit worried as we are sailing on this cruise

carolynne

Archived