Independance Norovirus.

cyukuk

My daughter is on the ship now. She has said that they are giving you hand wipes what appears to be every couple of mins. There was no canapés in either the Diamond lounge or the Concierge. You can't touch anything which makes for really long lines. The feeling is that it's not been a relaxed cruise amongst the passengers. I know they are only doing their job but people have paid a lot of money for the cruise and this has gone on too long. Makes you wonder where it is coming from different passengers each cruise but the same staff and the same problem keeps going on cruise after cruise!

I used so much hand gel on the Queen Victoria last year I came home with dermatitis on my fingers. Will be using soap and water only this trip and no gel. One of the other passengers at our table was injured when he fell down the stairs because the bannister rails were wet from being cleaned but not dried.

This Novovirus is every where. I hope they clean this ship up and every one has a great cruise with out getting sick.

Sydgal

My wife and I were two of the 90 passengers who had it on the Constellation on the 28th January sailing so we have firts hand knowledge of what can happen. Saw some passengers who did not follow the hygeine rules. Not saying they spread the outbreak, but it only takes a few seconds each time to sanitize your hands.

We are going on the Independence in June, so hopefully it will have been cleared by then. It has not put us off cruising.

My daughter is on the ship now. She has said that they are giving you hand wipes what appears to be every couple of mins. There was no canapés in either the Diamond lounge or the Concierge. You can't touch anything which makes for really long lines. The feeling is that it's not been a relaxed cruise amongst the passengers. I know they are only doing their job but people have paid a lot of money for the cruise and this has gone on too long. Makes you wonder where it is coming from different passengers each cruise but the same staff and the same problem keeps going on cruise after cruise!

Hi Kimberley , sorry to hear that Kayleigh and Dan are still enduring problems on the ship. We were on for 23 nights in Jan without any issues other than a few people coughing with colds. As you know if the weather is not great and everyone is cooped up inside germs spread quickly.

We take all the precautions necessary when on board to keep well and having the DL and CL to escape the crowds helps , I can live without the nibbles:)

We were on the February 13th sailing under much the same conditions as your daughter describes. Yes, it's true that you weren't allowed to touch food--not even to get your own tea--but we didn't find it the least bit inconveniencing. There was extra staff on hand to serve you. They were doing a fantastic job! They were cheerful and helpful even though I am sure that the virus created a heap of extra work for them. As to the feeling of a relaxed cruise, maybe it's the fear of getting the virus that has your daughter and others a bit worried? Personally I think it's luck of the draw if you get the norovirus or not (given that you follow all precautions). That being the case, you may as well enjoy your vacation and not dwell on it. We didn't let the outbreak affect our enjoyment of what was a fabulous cruise!

I have often wondered about crew transfers and if it would be effective for RCI (or any line) to have a sort of quarantine or "quiet time" between postings. Like a mandatory 3-4 days off and then screen (interview?) for symptom free condition before they board the new ship.

Noro is everywhere. We had an outbreak at a nearby school that had 1/3 of the students (over 200) out and they closed the school for several days to sanitize it - and let any exposed kids get it if they were going to so they could know who had it or not. Recently my wife and I both got it after visiting a nursing home - another typical hot bed of the bug.

Having a serious norovirus outbreak on 2 consecutive cruises with a deep sanitisation occuring in between, the only common denominator surely must be the crew? That could explain why measures such as the crew serving your food is not being effective at controlling it. Appreciate people not washing their hands spreads the virus, however, it is a virus and doesn't spontaneously occur without a carrier(s). This is not to cast aspersions about all the crew who do a really great job on the ship and of whom we call friends.

Not saying they spread the outbreak, but it only takes a few seconds each time to sanitize your hands..

please note that if you really want to stop carrying it then you must clean your hands properly. The 7 Stage Hand Washing Technique should be applied. A quick wash of hands stills leaves opportunity to carry and be infected. This could be a major factor in why the Virus hangs around longer!

the problem is often the tongs/grabbers etc. they are touched by everybody! a perfect place to pick up a virus :eek:

If an infection is present the servers are replaced and sanitised every 20 mins to minimise risk, not fool proof I agree, but at least they try!!!

Anymore news ? Just read a post by a crew member on my fb and they're saying something about three days stay in Southampton when it docks there next !!

We are due to go on it next and haven't heard anything. They would lose a lot of money doing that & If that was the case I'd think they would be springing into action and advising us so we could amend our travel plans. If you find out more please let us know.

We are due to go on the Independance in May(short break), RCI have already mucked my christmas holiday up by cancelling our Dubai cruise, I hope they are going to sort this out soon !!! :mad: :confused: :mad:

We are due to go on the Independance in May(short break), RCI have already mucked my christmas holiday up by cancelling our Dubai cruise, I hope they are going to sort this out soon !!! :mad: :confused: :mad:

Any why is it RCIs fault if people cannot practice personal hygiene? I hear that the staff they have placed in the loos to encourage guests to wash their hands get verbally abused and are accused of being little H*tlers or the Toilet F***sts ( probably by the same people refusing to wash their hands)

Any why is it RCIs fault if people cannot practice personal hygiene? I hear that the staff they have placed in the loos to encourage guests to wash their hands get verbally abused and are accused of being little H*tlers or the Toilet F***sts ( probably by the same people refusing to wash their hands)

very sad...

Why people have to be nasty when others are trying to help is beyound me, hand washing is basic human hygeine please people lets all be a little more helpful to RCCI staff and wash our hands and pull up those who don't or abuse the staff doing their jobs.

Why people have to be nasty when others are trying to help is beyound me, hand washing is basic human hygeine please people lets all be a little more helpful to RCCI staff and wash our hands and pull up those who don't or abuse the staff doing their jobs.

Too right!

It make get on your nerves abit but think of the consequences!!

I think when I walk round the ship people think I have OCD. I have hand sanitiser in bag everyday and I put it on my hands after I have washed my hands after the bathroom, after I have used the lifts, after I have touched the hand rails on the stairs, after I have selected my food at the Windjammer before I even put food to my mouth, after I have eaten in the Windjammer, after I have eaten at dinner, after I have had a drink, pretty much after I have touched anything. It does get a bit repetitive but better to over do it then not at all. I know there is a chance I could get it but at least I can help prevent it as much to my own ability.

CK x

I've been doing the same for years. I used to get funny looks when I would hand my MDR menu back to the waiter and then re-sanitize my hands, but at least I've never been sick on a cruise. The key is to treat every surface on the ship and on-shore as contaminated and then break the chain of contamination between those surfaces and your mouth. What I try to do is visualize the person who exits the bathroom stall after a good healthy evacuation and leaves without handwashing as out there on the ship touching everything just before I do.

It's easy to see who doesn't wash their hands and practice good sanitation procedures on the ship, they are the ones in sick bay with explosive diarrhea and vomiting (courtesy of the Noro virus)

Anymore news ? Just read a post by a crew member on my fb and they're saying something about three days stay in Southampton when it docks there next !!

lol, like a crew member would post that!

Archived