Is it just me?

greenie

Reading all these recent threads is so depressing. All the fighting and blaming and arguing and complaining and accusing and on and on! I have lately not even been able to make my way thru one whole thread without feeling upset and disgusted. The vibes are AWFUL.

This has become (in clinical terms) AN ICKY PLACE TO BE. Thank goodness for my roll-call and some of the others where I can visit and laugh and learn! I hope these boards recover from The Wave soon--I miss them.

Excellent post!!!

Just goes to show that you can't take these boards too seriously. When I finally figured this out, I changed my mind about this site. I now visit it for comic relief.

Remember, opinions are like ........, everyone has one!!!

And, life's too short....

Happy cruising!!!

Greenie, you must have been reading my mind. It's gotten very negative lately, lots of arguing and sarcasm. I use to really enjoy coming on here and learning and sharing experiences. Hopefully, this will pass soon. I'm sailing on Sunday and I'm trying to get psyched again and stay positive.

Some of us are just rather emotional and upset that these people on the news might turn some people off of taking a cruise because of what they are saying.

I have heard a lot of speculation and assumptions on the board in the last few days and a lot of whining and ridiculousness on the news.

Except for the "rogue wave" this cruise was nothing more than typical rough seas in a storm and to have people comparing it to the Titanic gets under my skin for some reason.

Reading all these recent threads is so depressing. All the fighting and blaming and arguing and complaining and accusing and on and on! I have lately not even been able to make my way thru one whole thread without feeling upset and disgusted. The vibes are AWFUL.

This has become (in clinical terms) AN ICKY PLACE TO BE. Thank goodness for my roll-call and some of the others where I can visit and laugh and learn! I hope these boards recover from The Wave soon--I miss them.

When bad things happen this board can become a very ugly place. It will pass. It got so ugly last year around the POA start up issues. Many were banned, many good posters left never to post again, and threads were deleted every hour. Special rules were posted for the NCL board only.

This online community will return to helping people enjoy cruising but not until all those with an agenda get past the recent events.

The secret to getting thru these times. Use the ignore feature, only open those threads that are focused on future cruising, stay out of the flames.

Some of us are just rather emotional and upset that these people on the news might turn some people off of taking a cruise because of what they are saying.

Unless you work for the cruiseline...why on earth would you care who wants to cruise and who doesn't?? People who have cruised...know how fabulous it is...and will go again regardless of a bad storm. Just my humble opinion. :)

Hi Greenie,

Don't let it get to you! I've been around these boards for quite a while (way back when they were only on AOL) and this isn't anything new. Some people get very emotional about "their cruise line" and find it necessary to defend their cruise line regardless of the circumstances - anyone who has a different opinion must be attacked. Others have an ax to grind and will jump at the chance to say anything negative about a particular line - anyone who disagrees is called names, etc. Eventually it all fades into history. If you read the boards enough, you will figure out who the honest, objective posters are (you can usually rely on their opinions and experiences); and who are the staunch supporters vs. chronic complainers (take their opinion with a grain of salt).

As a newbie to these boards, I would say that the thing I find most upsetting are the "Worst" - "Best" categories. (I don't go there any longer, by the way). These things are awful, and in my humble opion, should not be allowed. Amazingly enough, things said on these boards are taken seriously by some innocents, and are somewhat harmful in all respects. I like to read the pros and cons, but worst and best just doesn't play fair! I must admit that the statements so far have not caused me to change my travel plans in the least, but it is still disturbing.. That said, I will now retrieve my soap box, and exit awkwardly.......... ;)

Every one of these posts made me feel a little better (some more than others ;-) but all of them did in some way) and I hope it did that for others of you getting down about the way things are around here right now. So thank you.

You old pros know what yer talking about, so thank you too for the advice and the insights.

When bad things happen this board can become a very ugly place. It will pass. It got so ugly last year around the POA start up issues. Many were banned, many good posters left never to post again, and threads were deleted every hour. Special rules were posted for the NCL board only.

This online community will return to helping people enjoy cruising but not until all those with an agenda get past the recent events.

The secret to getting thru these times. Use the ignore feature, only open those threads that are focused on future cruising, stay out of the flames.

I am going to follow your advice. I jumped into the flames, and it's not productive. I'm not going to change anyone's mind, and I just get annoyed.

I'm looking forward to your review of our shiny new Jewel. We're hoping to be onboard next Spring. I'm off to search for those threads regarding balcony vs mini-suite. :) lml

As a newbie to these boards, I would say that the thing I find most upsetting are the "Worst" - "Best" categories. (I don't go there any longer, by the way). These things are awful, and in my humble opion, should not be allowed. Amazingly enough, things said on these boards are taken seriously by some innocents, and are somewhat harmful in all respects. I like to read the pros and cons, but worst and best just doesn't play fair! I must admit that the statements so far have not caused me to change my travel plans in the least, but it is still disturbing.. That said, I will now retrieve my soap box, and exit awkwardly.......... ;)

I too like to read these boards. The information I gained is invaluable. However, everyone is entitled to give their opinion - whether I read it, is another story. ;) Often times I've begun to read a thread - only to notice that no real information was being given - I chose to go on to another thread which I felt would be helpful. It's wonderful that you feel strongly about what's being said, just try to realize that we cannot control what others think and choose to share. Sometimes the rants are justified. Sometimes they're not. Once you read and read some more, it will become clearer who is here to share and who isn't. Have a wonderful time on your cruise and please come back and share your adventure with us all.

G

I like to read all the pros & cons, and I generally look for trends or consistent themes. Two people can be on the same cruise and have completely opposite opinions. It's when I see a pattern of similar comments/opinions that I may let it influence my decisions.;)

I was waiting to hear from a group of teenagers who were on the Dawn's wave sailing. They were awarded the cruise for their community service efforts (Students Making Individual Lives Easier...SMILE). Our local news featured them last night. Their comments:

"I figured something was wrong when the Captain talked about alpha-something or other...It was scary...People were like freaking out...We heard glasses shattering...The boat was rocking...We are ALL going back next year!"

Teenagers, you gotta lov 'em!

Coka

This is why I stopped reading those posts, It's time to move on. I can't be reading all the posts with the personal opinions on stuff like that.

I want to learn more about the ship, entertainment, food, shows and excursions, especially excursions! Stuff that goes on every cruise. I've read enough about the wave, to get a good idea of what happened.

Greenie-

Keep your spirits up!! As Shoreguy mentioned, it got like this(actually, worse) when the POA had some less-than-stellar first reviews. Things were very nasty so I took a short haitus from the boards to preserve my sanity.

This, too, shall pass...

Hi Greenie,

Don't let it get to you! I've been around these boards for quite a while (way back when they were only on AOL) and this isn't anything new. Some people get very emotional about "their cruise line" and find it necessary to defend their cruise line regardless of the circumstances - anyone who has a different opinion must be attacked. Others have an ax to grind and will jump at the chance to say anything negative about a particular line - anyone who disagrees is called names, etc. Eventually it all fades into history. If you read the boards enough, you will figure out who the honest, objective posters are (you can usually rely on their opinions and experiences); and who are the staunch supporters vs. chronic complainers (take their opinion with a grain of salt).

I agree with this 100 %. One good way to filter some of it out is to go take a good look at everything a very negative poster has posted. If you find all that they have posted has been negative, you will know that they are one of the ones with an axe to grind. Then you can take any future post from them with a grain of salt or you can put them on your ignore list. I don't use the ignore button often as sometimes I can get a good chuckle from their brand of "logic". There are some good people here and it doesn't take long before you know who's opinion you can trust even when something wasn't so good.

Unless you work for the cruiseline...why on earth would you care who wants to cruise and who doesn't?? People who have cruised...know how fabulous it is...and will go again regardless of a bad storm. Just my humble opinion. :)

I guess I really don't. I would just hate for someone who may have wanted to try a cruise change there mind because of people on the news getting their 15 minutes of fame.

I guess I really don't. I would just hate for someone who may have wanted to try a cruise change there mind because of people on the news getting their 15 minutes of fame.

If they're silly enough to listen to these people...then let them lose out on one of the best vacation experiences ever! Their loss, right? :)

If they're silly enough to listen to these people...then let them lose out on one of the best vacation experiences ever! Their loss, right? :)

Very very true. Though I would never really want to go on the Dawn (I really just don't like the itinerary) I am looking very forward to my next cruise.

Maybe the Jewel next March? My SO has never been to San Juan or St. Thomas.

I wish there were more lines other than Carnival running Southern Carribeans to Aruba. A couple of Royal Carribean but no NCL :( -- Bummer

The family of one of my daughter's friends is planning a multi-generational AK cruise this summer - their first cruise. When they started planning last fall, the mom called me all concerned. She had found this site and started reading some of the threads - she was concerned that her children were not going to welcome due to the hostile comments made by some of the posters about kids on cruises. I told her to avoid any threads about kids and about dress code - those are heated topics that seem to get blown way out of proportion. I look at some of the posts trying to view them from a newbie's perspective and I can understand how some of them sound downright scary!

They are all happily scheduled on a Princess cruise in June. Our family is scheduled for a cruise to HI over Thanksgiving on NCLA. I continue to count on Cruise Critic for advice - whether a certain hotel deal makes sense, what is the best way to get from the airport to the dock, what excursions are better than others, hints for packing, other inside scoop - but the gnashing of teeth and the kevetching about whether someone should wear a tux or a suit to formal night, whether kids should be allowed on cruises, etc. really get me down sometimes.

Thanks for starting this discussion.

Archived