QM2 loses passenger

Mustangs

I just spoke to Cunard (I realize some of you are saying "So What"), but anyways.......they said that Captain Wright is not leaving on Friday. I bet he already needs a break though with everything that has happened in the past two weeks.

Unfortunately it seems that QM2 is following in tradition of QE2 passengers overboard. I was on in 1985 New York to Southampton run when a couple at the next table sitting to me committed a joint suicide (they left a note in their cabin). There have also been a few other people that have disappeared over the years.

So sad to hear.

It's terrible that Captain Wright had to go through the experience of losing a passenger because someone wanted to end his life. However, if indeed he left a suicide note, at least the Captain will know that it wasn't the fault of the crew in any way. Still, we're sure it was hell for him that night, knowing how he cares about his passengers.

Chuck & Phyllis

My wife and I were on the 16-22 April crossing when this tragic event was announced. I would just like to add that indeed, this could not have been pleasant for Captain Wright. We felt that he did a superb job in the way he handled it, especially in the completely candid and thorough explanation he provided in several announcements that were broadcast throughout the ship.

It was just unfortunate that the elderly gentleman, for whatever reason, cast a (temporary) pall over our crossing. Needless to say, this became the subject of considerable discussion and sadness.

Charles

Hi Charles,

Yes, we were also on the sailing. We heard announcements around the ship calling for the gentleman to report to the purser on the evening that he disappeared. Then during the night we thought the ship was sinking as we woke up and found that not only was our floor (deck 10) at a crazy angle but things were falling off the tables, etc. Luckily we discovered that we were only doing a fast sharp turn and discovered later that the ship had performed a practiced figure of 8 manouevre to back track over its course.

There was a coded announcement at 7am for the ship's company to carry out a search for a missing man and then about 1 hour later Captain Wright was on the tannoy to tell us all what had been going on. I must agree completely with MNCYCLIST that not only was he completely candid but he was also solemn in the way it was put over. He explained about the length of time for survival in the sea (1 hour) about contact with the wife in Germany and her finding a "farewell note". The Captain did his usual progress report at noon and again mentioned about the incident and that they had been talking with the wife in Germany during the morning.

We were most impressed by the way both Captain Wright and his crew dealt with the tragic incident and hope that he does not have to handle many similar episodes in the future.

Archived